PDA

View Full Version : S13 Shaking!!!

freeagent3117
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Alright i did some searching but this kinda seems to be a case by case basis. I did a SR20 swap in my 1990. I also converted it to a 5-speed. When the car is idling, the clutch pedal vibrates alot. When i go to take off the whole car shakes alot. Shifting gears is alright. I has a new master, slave and line. It has a resurfaced stock flywheel. A stage 3 clutch with all new pieces. It also has redline oil in it. I got a used 5-speed driveshaft from a buddy. I dont wanna take the tranny out just yet until i get some answers. Thanks!!!

GL Chrillz
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I haven't done any work swapping engines yet, but I would start with the most obvious things first. Does the whole engine shake if you're looking at it? Maybe your motor mounts are bad or something. I'm not sure what else would cause the car to shake other than the motor moving around.

freeagent3117
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I haven't done any work swapping engines yet, but I would start with the most obvious things first. Does the whole engine shake if you're looking at it? Maybe your motor mounts are bad or something. I'm not sure what else would cause the car to shake other than the motor moving around.

i replaced the motor and tranny mounts when i did the swap. motor doesnt move any more then normal

ogbryce
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
since your engine isn't shaking and your clutch pedal is vibrating and the other problems you listed is that something really isnt connected right between crankcase - tranny, if i were you i would take drop the tranny and take everything off and inspect before anything goes terribly wrong

rcdad123
02-06-2012, 12:09 AM
^^^ make sure the flywheel is flat against the crank shaft, inspect by removing flywheel off and check the mounting surface to the crankshaft. make sure both crank and flywheel are clean and flat. use blue loctite on the flywheel bolts.

freeagent3117
02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
alright i guess ill have to do that. I did call XTD clutch about what was going on. He said extreme chatter is common until the break in period is over. I also told him my pedal was shaking while i was in neutral. He said, "uh i dont know about that." so clearly he has no fucking idea about shit. he wants me to drive the car for 500 miles and see if it gets better. Uh are you serious? :fawk2:
So im gonna take the clutch out and inspect everything. If i cant see anything visual, im gonna purchase a spec stage 2 and drive that for a couple weeks. Call XTD back later and tell them its still fucked. I will get a new replacement one and sell it. DONE SIR DONE!!!

KiLLeR2001
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Did you install the pilot bushing when putting the transmission back in? Pressure plate will also chatter if you didn't tighten it down properly and in a cross pattern.

Did you tighten the flywheel bolts to 110ft/lbs of tq. and use loctite? A loose flywheel will cause chatter, I had this happen to me.

freeagent3117
02-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Did you install the pilot bushing when putting the transmission back in? Pressure plate will also chatter if you didn't tighten it down properly and in a cross pattern.

Did you tighten the flywheel bolts to 110ft/lbs of tq. and use loctite? A loose flywheel will cause chatter, I had this happen to me.

yea ill have to check. just sucks taking the tranny out again. havent had a chance to start it yet.

Croustibat
02-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Did you set your clutch pedal so it has some dead course before applying force on the master cylinder ? I hope you did, otherwise you might have killed your clutch.

Anyway, stage3 XTD clutches are 6 pucks, so you HAVE to rev more when taking off. And you should have installed their flywheel, it will munch the oem one down ... There is a reason it can have a soft pedal and handle that torque level: the material is pretty agressive. Hence why you want to mate is to a chromoly flywheel, which will resist wear longer (that and it is 50% lighter than stock)

rcdad123
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
don`t baby the clutch if you have ceramic pucks. it will burn/wear really fast. when i said baby, don`t try to be smooth by slowly releasing the clutch so it won`t chatter. chatter with ceramic puck clutch disc is normal. that is what you pay for having racing style friction materials. ceramic clutch is more like a on/off engagement type, not smooth at all. they also make a lot of noise during engagement.