PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Stoppers

blank240
02-02-2012, 02:31 AM
I know what it does and i've searched already. the answer that im asking is "if" i need them. the only upgrade to the internal is greddy easy cams, everything else is stock. i've read that some people say you dont need them because you are going to mess up your head even more if the rockers break off or that the rocker arm stoppers dont even work. im just confused on this since people say you need them and others say you dont. thanks

mktachibana
02-02-2012, 02:39 AM
taken directly off greddy website

The GReddy EASY Camshaft Sets are designed to improve the torque and power characteristic of your engine, without changing the valve timing or need to change other valvetrain components. By keeping things simple with an matched set of intake and exhaust camshafts, installation is straightforward and users can easily experience and enjoy their improvements of a wider usalble powerband without the loss of driviablity or idle.

fliprayzin240sx
02-02-2012, 03:34 AM
taken directly off greddy website

The GReddy EASY Camshaft Sets are designed to improve the torque and power characteristic of your engine, without changing the valve timing or need to change other valvetrain components. By keeping things simple with an matched set of intake and exhaust camshafts, installation is straightforward and users can easily experience and enjoy their improvements of a wider usalble powerband without the loss of driviablity or idle.

They're talking about valvetrain componets as in valves and springs...meaning they are drop in cams.

But back to the OP, considering that people will have issues with the rockers flying off in stock setups...what makes you think you'll be fine with upgraded cams? If you plan on driving the car hard, whats $100 to potentially prevent the rocker arm from flying out at 8k when you drift, bounce off the rev limiter or miss shift? Mind you, its not a SOLUTION but its a cheap insurance that may save you a head or a whole engine.

TheRealSy90
02-02-2012, 04:46 AM
The way I think of it is, if the valvetrain is doing something to force the rocker out of place, and you have an "arm" holding the rocker down, something is going to bend or break. I would much rather drop a rocker than have it break into pieces and go all in my engine or it hold a valve open and bend it or something to that effect.

In my 240 I don't run them, I run way bigger cams than you have, and I pound the shit out of my rev limiter. Never thrown a rocker.

One thing I am looking into doing is running double rocker guide shims instead of the factory single guide. After a friend of mine ejected a rocker out of the valve cover on his sentra he did this modification and never threw a rocker again. The sentra was over 700whp and when he launched on the strip it broke an axle and the boost forced the engine over the rev limiter and it hit over 12k rpm when the rocker flew threw the valve cover haha.

Long story short, TLDR. Do this, never throw a rocker, and don't break one or waste money on stoppers that don't always work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/ashtonroche/DSCN2727.jpg

blank240
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
thanks for the replies guys and ill look into that double rocker guide shim. well i guess after reading fliprayzin240sx post i'll just put them in for that little insurance. i've read up on rocker arm stoppers making the damage worst then it would be without them and i just hope that little insurance will help me

Kingtal0n
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I know from experience that if you install the rocker guides on the wrong side, that is, if you reverse the shim/guide order, those rockers will either break or jump off, and several shims and guides will be lost inside the engine, never to be seen again. :mad:

fliprayzin240sx
02-03-2012, 12:13 AM
The way I think of it is, if the valvetrain is doing something to force the rocker out of place, and you have an "arm" holding the rocker down, something is going to bend or break. I would much rather drop a rocker than have it break into pieces and go all in my engine or it hold a valve open and bend it or something to that effect.

In my 240 I don't run them, I run way bigger cams than you have, and I pound the shit out of my rev limiter. Never thrown a rocker.

One thing I am looking into doing is running double rocker guide shims instead of the factory single guide. After a friend of mine ejected a rocker out of the valve cover on his sentra he did this modification and never threw a rocker again. The sentra was over 700whp and when he launched on the strip it broke an axle and the boost forced the engine over the rev limiter and it hit over 12k rpm when the rocker flew threw the valve cover haha.

Long story short, TLDR. Do this, never throw a rocker, and don't break one or waste money on stoppers that don't always work.

The problem is notorious when you miss-shift and accidentally over rev the engine. From my experience fucking with SRs the last 11 yrs or so, 2 things can potentially happen when it over revs, either the rocker arm will fly off or the valves stay open and gets destroyed by the pistons. Nothing you can do when the valves float open.

SRs HLA design is just shit in general. Why they didnt just use buckets like the KA or follow the Pulsarf GTiR solid pivot design is beyond me.

mct3351
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
HLA are:
1. Cheaper to mass produce. The lash is adjusted hydraulicly instead of manually with various shims
2. Quieter
3. Require no routine maintenance.

doomviillain
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

I would like to know more about the double shim guide mod. Is there any modifications or adjustments needed or can you just drop em in and go? I had my rocker fly off a few weeks ago but is fixed now I just want to prevent it from happening again.