PDA

View Full Version : External Wastegate for Stock Manifold -True Boost Control for your SR20!

codyace
01-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Modified Stock Manifoild For External Wastegate

Tired of boost creep issues? Frustrated with your internal gate not providing the response or spool you were looking for? Giving up on lack of true boost control? Well look no further than this modification!

Having tried all of the major internal gate upgrades on my personal car, as well as others, it gets to a point where you simply can not reasonably control bigger boost with the larger GT28+ internally gated turbos. While initially such products work, they eventually fail putting you right back to square one, however with the frustration that you spent your good money and it didn’t work.

A few years back I had my personal manifold modified to accept the traditional Tial 38mm wastegate to fend off these issues, and I’ve yet to look back since. Running a proper external wastegate allows for true control of your turbocharger, while also offering better spool up (as the little internal gate isn’t pushing open) as well as rock solid boost control when you’re wide open throttle.

This modification utilizes the stock manifold (proven time and time again to be the best option for bottom mounted turbos) and can be modified to accept any wastegate flange of your choice. The best option for final fitment IMO is the Tial 38mm MVS gate (v band) however all options will work 100% fine.

Pictures

Tial MVS 38mm
http://www.codyace.com/albums/album20/manifolds_01.sized.jpg

Tial 38mm
http://www.codyace.com/albums/album20/manifolds_06.sized.jpg

Pricing and Information:
The modification to the manifold is 100 dollars. You will need to provide your manifold, and your flange of choice. After the welding is complete we can either ship it back to you, or we can ship it anywhere else you choose (the popular option is Extrude Hone, or to a High Temp coating place such as Swain Tech).

Contact
If you are interested, email me at (codyace AT gmail DOT com) or PM me for more information. THanks again!

EsChassisLove
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I really wish I could fork up the cash for extrude honing :(

G240
01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Cody, been meaning to ask you, can you provide some pictures of it installed on your car? Curious to see how far up it sits in the engine bay.

Much appreciated.

codyace
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
http://www.codyace.com/albums/album303/bay_33.sized.jpg

http://www.codyace.com/albums/album303/bay_35.sized.jpg

Now the MVS are obviously shorter. It does clear all strut bars with ease.

Prove It
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
hmm interesting. thoughts of doing this to my 1jz manifold but then i would have to do 2 of them...i'll PM you if i decide to do so....none the less cool product!

Seraphim38
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
anybody measured the weight difference between one of these and a Tomei or Doc Race tubular manifold? Just curious.

I don't have a stock manifold to modify, but if there was an option that included one and the weight difference isn't material I might be convinced to try it.

codyace
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
anybody measured the weight difference between one of these and a Tomei or Doc Race tubular manifold? Just curious.

I don't have a stock manifold to modify, but if there was an option that included one and the weight difference isn't material I might be convinced to try it.

I do not have any specific data about the actual weight differences, but with that said I can assure you that with the actual weight difference to me (maybe less then 5 pounds total difference between them) is not a selling point, as it's been proven time and time again that the stock manifold promotes the fastest spooling turbo through heat retention, and is about as failproof as they come. Tubular manifolds are noted for less response, and there are countless examples of them cracking (to include Tomei and other name brands)

In the end, I wanted OEM reliability, but with reliable/failsafe boost control, and this was the way to go to achieve that.

dr1ft32
01-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Are u only doing this for a limited time?

codyace
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Are u only doing this for a limited time?

Nope it's always going to be an available service :D

clivey
01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
is your external wastegate plumbed back into the DP?

codyace
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I'd love to offer them as well, but that will need to be on a per car basis, due to everyone's downpipes/turbo outlets/turbos being so different.

Seraphim38
01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I was going to buy a Doc Race tubular manifold with the T25-EWG-44 but will think about this as an alternative for my GT2871R. I will just have to find a stock manifold, which I can guess shouldn't be too hard.

clivey
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I'd love to offer them as well, but that will need to be on a per car basis, due to everyone's downpipes/turbo outlets/turbos being so different.

oh ok.

was just wondering if you had had a screamer pipe configuration and how it was routed that was all.

This is never done in the UK.. everyone just switches to a copy of the tomei supreme manifold, internal wastegate and a gt2871r 0.64 running 1.5bar...

or to run less, just ported out the internal wastegate to 30mm... to prevent boost creap, which aint so much of an issue when opting for the 0.86 ex

But then we have ron 99 fuel fairly available... but dame its expensive!

c-los13
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
hi cody, first let me say this is awesome!!!!, second ive heard that by goin this route you gotta weld the flap on back of the turbo. is there any pictures of that? thanks alot. i should be getting an extra mani soon, im looking foward to get this done

kouness
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
this is off topic, but do you cut and reweld the manifolds too if we wanted to go ka-t? i am in the process of researching this route. i have seen it done before.

shiftdrift
01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
great guy and good product! definitely worth it!

codyace
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
oh ok.
was just wondering if you had had a screamer pipe configuration and how it was routed that was all.

On my personal car I welded the re route toegether for it. It uses flex pipe and the sort. Sure isn't pretty but it works. Routes right along the steering shaft and has no worries.

or to run less, just ported out the internal wastegate to 30mm... to prevent boost creap, which aint so much of an issue when opting for the 0.86 ex

But then we have ron 99 fuel fairly available... but dame its expensive!

I ported mine, and had no luck with it either. Blah. Internal just isn't enough!

hi cody, first let me say this is awesome!!!!, second ive heard that by goin this route you gotta weld the flap on back of the turbo. is there any pictures of that? thanks alot. i should be getting an extra mani soon, im looking foward to get this done

You will need to either weld your flapper shut, or to hold it shut (with wire, or with a piece of metal cut out to hold it. I don't have any pics off hand though :(

this is off topic, but do you cut and reweld the manifolds too if we wanted to go ka-t? i am in the process of researching this route. i have seen it done before.

I'm sure Jay could weld it for you, but with that said, I do not have KA head around to test fit on for you. It's a circumstance of 'yes he can do that' but without the right tools/testing it's not fair to say yes.

BiG MiKE86
01-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Im interested in a gettin this done - just need to source a stock manifold

Emeru
01-14-2012, 08:20 AM
If i wasnt so tempted to get my car running youd have my manifold already, i think youll be seeing it when i upgrade to a 2871r

mattsil80wis
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
big ups to cody ace for doing this for me

i think i was the 1st person to have it done by him...been running this setup for 2 1/2 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it/him. Cody has gone out of his way to even have it extrude honed and swain coated. Enough talking time for pics

http://www.codyace.com/albums/album281/matt032010_20.sized.jpg
http://www.codyace.com/albums/album281/matt032010_21.sized.jpg
http://www.codyace.com/albums/album281/matt032010_23.sized.jpg

EsChassisLove
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Great set up, but man that thing is close to the brake lines lol. I know it won't effect it unless you lay into boost long enough to actually heat that dump tube up but I gotta say.....VBand ftw

BiG MiKE86
01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
how much is the extrude/swain?

EsChassisLove
01-14-2012, 01:23 PM
how much is the extrude/swain?

A frikking lot. Extrude alone is like $500.

Luvs2slide
01-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Excellent upgrade and service from Cody. I am in Japan (military) and he went out of his way to send my manifold off to get the external gate flange welded on, and then sent it off to get honed, and then even sent it back to me...Might I add was also updating me very often with status updates.

Unfortunately My setup is currently apart so I dont have any pics.

However, I made a little bracket that connects to one of the 5 turbo to elbow bolts and then the other part attaches to the wastegate flapper. NEVER had any issues.

inopsey
01-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Great set up, but man that thing is close to the brake lines lol. I know it won't effect it unless you lay into boost long enough to actually heat that dump tube up but I gotta say.....VBand ftw

i had one of these put on last summer and it holds boost perfectly with the v band wastegate. i had the dump near the break lines like in the pic and had to move it since i would get massive break fade from doing a few hard runs in 4th or 5th gear, as in i would be going 100+ mph and step on the breaks and have to pump them to get them to stop. i quickly moved the dump so it dumps between the tranny and downpipe. be careful where you put the dump i had a friends engine bay catch fire from an improperly placed dump.

wangan_cruiser
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
now the prices for oem exhaust manifold will sky rocket LOL

good thing i saved mine. i was about to throw it out. looking to get this done when i finish my bulletproof bottom end. gotta protect the investment!

EsChassisLove
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
i had one of these put on last summer and it holds boost perfectly with the v band wastegate. i had the dump near the break lines like in the pic and had to move it since i would get massive break fade from doing a few hard runs in 4th or 5th gear, as in i would be going 100+ mph and step on the breaks and have to pump them to get them to stop. i quickly moved the dump so it dumps between the tranny and downpipe. be careful where you put the dump i had a friends engine bay catch fire from an improperly placed dump.

Straight up through the hood is the best way to go lol

codyace
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Hehe right up through the roof with a big rig flapper ontop :D

There is no doubt if running tit near the brake lines that you will need to run a better fluid and or wrap the lines (and wrap/coat the dump)...I personally have never had any fade issues on track days, but then again I do have it all at least BBQ painted and gold foil wrapped.

The V Band setup IMO is much nicer as it enables an infinite amount of variables in regard to dump placement.

BiG MiKE86
01-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Cody, would I notice a massive difference if I do not get the manifold extrude honed? Im currently running the Tomei manifold - would I feel major restriction if I switch and do not get it extrude honed?

nissanfreak317
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Do you weld these yourself? Welding cast iron is not easy. I'm pretty sure it needs to be preheated pretty hot and special filler wire used. I'm guessing that you have done your research on this and weld it properly, right? Only asking because I'm interested in getting it done by you but was turned away by several shops when I wanted this done a couple years ago.

shiftdrift
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Do you weld these yourself? Welding cast iron is not easy. I'm pretty sure it needs to be preheated pretty hot and special filler wire used. I'm guessing that you have done your research on this and weld it properly, right? Only asking because I'm interested in getting it done by you but was turned away by several shops when I wanted this done a couple years ago.

Cast iron is easy to weld...this isn't a structural piece, no preheating needed, no special wire needed. I've welded multiple GM cast iron manifolds into Turbo manifolds.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz189/shift_drift/2011-04-22_15-40-49_810-1.jpg

nissanfreak317
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Cast iron is easy to weld...this isn't a structural piece, no preheating needed, no special wire needed. I've welded multiple GM cast iron manifolds into Turbo manifolds.
[/IMG]

Dude, I've talked to several seasoned, professional welders, and none of them would go near cast iron, it has a different chemical composition than steel.

Also, It doesn't matter if it's structural or not, if the weld cracks you're leaking exhaust all over the place.

I was just trying to find out what process is being used for this so that I can decide whether or not to give it a try.

codyace
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Cody, would I notice a massive difference if I do not get the manifold extrude honed? Im currently running the Tomei manifold - would I feel major restriction if I switch and do not get it extrude honed?

It's a matter of relevance to a degree. Is it a massive amount of change? Well, not really...it's sort of a nice finishing touch (we'll say like the cherry ontop) to a nice setup. It's going to help spool up without a doubt (smooth runners, no restriction), but it's not going to be a huge difference (100-200 rpm maybe)...it's also going to maybe be responsible for a few ponies, and better off boost response.

Is Extrude reaaaaally needed? Probably not. However (IMO only) if you're going to go that far with a setup, it's worth doing it right (especialyl if you're really going to drive the car...if it's just a daily driver then I'd probably opt out). I guess that though process could be applied to a most mods, but I'm just trying to be as truthful as possible :D

As far as a reduction in power, that's hard to say beyond educated guessing based upon results and dyno graphs. YOu'll gain faster spool up and torque with the stock manifold, but may loose out a smidge on the top end, which is where the tubular manifold does work best...however it's not a huge amount)

No my friend Jay welds these JPC Fabrication. I've sold about 15 of these so far with no issue, and Jay has welded countless other cast iron items at his shop. If it does break, you can ship it back, repaired and shipping will be covered on our end.

shiftdrift
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Dude, I've talked to several seasoned, professional welders, and none of them would go near cast iron, it has a different chemical composition than steel.

Also, It doesn't matter if it's structural or not, if the weld cracks you're leaking exhaust all over the place.

I was just trying to find out what process is being used for this so that I can decide whether or not to give it a try.

cool story....I've actually welded cast iron a lot, not talked about it....the weld will not break if the welder is good, in Cody's case, he has a great welder, so it will be fine. Cast aluminum is a bitch to weld, maybe you're thinking of that.....

Nicelyphe
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks good Cody, will be seeing me getting this done in the future! Been wanting to go external wastegate for some time now, just havent figured out how far of a set-up I want to go with as in daily driving use. That Swain coating looks real good on the manifold as well.

nissanfreak317
01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
No my friend Jay welds these JPC Fabrication. I've sold about 15 of these so far with no issue, and Jay has welded countless other cast iron items at his shop. If it does break, you can ship it back, repaired and shipping will be covered on our end.

Great, thanks!

cool story....I've actually welded cast iron a lot, not talked about it....the weld will not break if the welder is good, in Cody's case, he has a great welder, so it will be fine. Cast aluminum is a bitch to weld, maybe you're thinking of that.....

Stop being a douche. I was asking a question and was looking for an answer. Not some smart ass responses from someone other than the vendor. I have experience welding, I have taken welding classes, and I know many people who have tried to weld cast iron and failed. I looked into having this exact process done to my own manifold in the past and was turned down by local welding shops. I was curious of the process that they used, not trying to cause trouble, I know it can be done but I also know it's not as easy as you are making it out to be. And also, stop being a douche.

shiftdrift
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Just for the record, I answered your questions....in a respectful manner, then YOU gave a smartass response...if you already think you know, why ask? I'm done cluttering Cody aces thread. Sorry man.

P.s. still want that chicken dinner.

4-20sx
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
this is the best way to go when going gt2871r.

i can vouch for this. cody hookedd it up! beautiful welds man!!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/nissan42osx/photo-31.jpg

usdm180sx
01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Can you guys who have done this post pics of how you routed your dump pipes? I'm really interested. Thank you!

codyace
01-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't mind my rigging here, but it works. WHat I did was used hardpipe off the flange and welded it down near the steering shaft. Then I welded flexpipe to it. On the downpipe itself I then welded an elbow, that allowed the dump pipe flex section to slide over it, and then used the guientine clamp to secure it, and allow it to be removable. I then wrapped it all with header wrap, and spray painted it with the DEI wrap paint stuff as another layer of heat control.

http://www.codyace.com/albums/external_wastegate/IMG_6249.sized.jpg

EsChassisLove
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Man I need to hurry up and get my car up and going again so I can drive it to the shop and have my dump tube fabbed up. All this talk of externals is getting my squirrelly

EsChassisLove
01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
By the way, if any of you Tial External cats need springs, I have a fuck ton from 8psi to 15psi. I feel bad if I throw them away...

Luvs2slide
01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Don't mind my rigging here, but it works. WHat I did was used hardpipe off the flange and welded it down near the steering shaft. Then I welded flexpipe to it. On the downpipe itself I then welded an elbow, that allowed the dump pipe flex section to slide over it, and then used the guientine clamp to secure it, and allow it to be removable. I then wrapped it all with header wrap, and spray painted it with the DEI wrap paint stuff as another layer of heat control.

http://www.codyace.com/albums/external_wastegate/IMG_6249.sized.jpg

SO you have yours plumbed back into the exhaust always? I'm thinking about doing this only for japanese inspection only...

codyace
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
By the way, if any of you Tial External cats need springs, I have a fuck ton from 8psi to 15psi. I feel bad if I throw them away...

SO you have yours plumbed back into the exhaust always? I'm thinking about doing this only for japanese inspection only...

Yes, while removable, I kept my permanently recirculated. I don't really care for the sound of an open dump pipe asI like toned/quiet exhaust setup on my cars. You don't even hear anything extra this way, helps keep it 'sleeper/oem' to a degree, which is my style.

Luvs2slide
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Got any other angles of the dump pipe Cody? Is there a flex section in the dump pipe's piping?

usdm180sx
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes more pictures please!

codyace
01-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes I have flex Pipe in that piece. I don't really have many pictures of it, as I fabbed it and installed it and called it a day.

On my example, the upper red part is hard pipe. cut at an angle, and welded to the flange. The green part is the flexible tubing that I got from JCwhitney (1.25 or 1.5" I can't recall). The flexible tubing then slides atop more hard tube (again in red at the bottom) where it recirculates back into the downpipe (secured via that guillotine clamp). Could I have fabbed it with all hard pipe? Sure...but the flex tube was available and easy to use. It's a MFer to weld with a mig (I'm also not a perfect welder) so just be careful with it, or have someone tig it. I had the mig super cold, and very fast to keep it from melting.

http://www.codyace.com/albums/album205/dump.sized.jpg

usdm180sx
01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
What about this? Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.com (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-043&Category_Code=GTH)

Your alternative is a lot cheaper and is tried and true, and I'm sure there will be the same amount of fab required. Just wondering if anyone has went this route. Thanks!

nissanfreak317
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
What about this? Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.com (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-043&Category_Code=GTH)

Your alternative is a lot cheaper and is tried and true, and I'm sure there will be the same amount of fab required. Just wondering if anyone has went this route. Thanks!

Looks sweet. I wonder if it would interfere with the steering column though. I would take some really good measurements first, haha.

JonathanPrem
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
What the advantage/disadvantage of this setup?

EsChassisLove
01-28-2012, 08:55 PM
No disadvantage. Nothing but good and pure win comes from externals

huffandpuff00
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Love my manifold from codyace...cant wait to get the car tuned with new setup!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5umrAmqvTms/TrIwsZdqMNI/AAAAAAAAA3c/LlP4RrrbHGU/s1600/photo%2B1-720599.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FJnG2PN7ly0/TrIwsov4uGI/AAAAAAAAA3o/a-OodSs7wuk/s1600/photo%2B2-721870.JPG

EsChassisLove
02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I just don't understand why people use that type of flange lol. Looks great though

huffandpuff00
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
its was cheaper, I bought a used 2 bolt WG for $100

Rusolena
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Codyace. I have something in mind and wanted to ask you first. Is there a phone number I can call you at? Or you can email me back at [email protected]
I looked at the group buy for the cast iron manifold but couldn't find a link. Please, email me as soon as you read this. I am purchasing a non wastegated turbo and I need to know if what I have in mind is going to work. Thanks in advance.

BiG MiKE86
03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
huffandpuff00 (http://zilvia.net/f/members/huffandpuff00.html) did you get it extrude honed and coated?

huffandpuff00
03-29-2012, 02:50 AM
No, I couldn't bring my self to spend that much on the stock mani...

240ss
03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
No, I couldn't bring my self to spend that much on the stock mani...
my thinking exactly. Ive been wanting to do this for a while but cant make up my mind. But i mean if you plan on staying bottom mount for a good while (like i do) then i think its a solid investment/upgrade. Cant wait to do this!

3v1Ls14
03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Anybody thought of doing the exact same thing (welding a flange for wastegate) into the turbo rear housing? gate is directly where the exhaust spins turbine so it would exhaust the not needed gas right there rather than way up in manifold? I am doing it this way to my RB20 turbo until i save and buy better manifold and turbo etc.

I like your work on the exhaust manifolds as well though, nice job

huffandpuff00
03-31-2012, 11:47 PM
^ atp make a turbine housing already. Their are fitment issues with wastegate and strut tower at the moment...
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/432611-new-garrett-gtx2867r.html

3v1Ls14
04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I did this today, running gate off turbo housing. will wait to weld flange when its all in car so i know what angle to put on etc

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/mttayler/2012-04-02145007.jpg

Pinggg
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Anyone know if the EWG setup will clear my WG dump tube if i have a circuit sport brake heat shield install on my s13?

NISR20MO
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
PM'd looking to have this done, let me know man, thanks.

BlackZenkiS14
05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Bringing this back from dead, because I'm getting interested in doing it. Trying too decide if its worth it to extrude hone it as well, while running a stock s14 t28?

That's a ton of cash right now, and I'm not sure it would be worth it. Also, what us the short most reliable wastegate everyone if buying these days?

Mile High Silvia
08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Where can I buy a brand new factory exhaust manifold? I have the tomei and It may be cracked. I like your setup alot, almost convinced on the gtx.
I'm sick of my internal wastegate. Shits weak.

EsChassisLove
09-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Where can I buy a brand new factory exhaust manifold? I have the tomei and It may be cracked. I like your setup alot, almost convinced on the gtx.
I'm sick of my internal wastegate. Shits weak.

There's no reason to buy a brand new OEM manifold. BNIB OEM=/=USed. Have your Tomei fixed for $50. Easy day.

And extrude honing a stock manifold honestly is not worth it. You won't gain much response for the outrageous $500 price. You're better off honing your intake manifold for smoother air flow into your head.

External wastegate is the bomb. Had this setup on my 2871 bottom mount setup. Shits on internal gates all day long.

ProjectPanda13
09-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Would this setup fit a rhd setup with abs? I wonder if the external wastegate would conflict with the abs pump.

Thanks,
-Dave

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Mile High Silvia
09-01-2013, 10:07 AM
There's no reason to buy a brand new OEM manifold. BNIB OEM=/=USed. Have your Tomei fixed for $50. Easy day.

And extrude honing a stock manifold honestly is not worth it. You won't gain much response for the outrageous $500 price. You're better off honing your intake manifold for smoother air flow into your head.

External wastegate is the bomb. Had this setup on my 2871 bottom mount setup. Shits on internal gates all day long.

Yep that's some good advice right there. I've just always been a fan of cast manifolds from my vw days of boosting "inline" 6 cylinders. Never had a problem with cast manis. But most def, fuck spending all that money. I should just weld a tial mvs to my housing and call it good :) maybe get a gtx while I'm in there

mattsil80wis
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Sure it seems expensive, but it is *the best* setup for the bottom mount GT and GTX turbos. The tubular manifolds are not built well enough (outside of a doc race maybe) to withstand the rigors of being in that spot. They really need better support structure to keep from cracking.

I went with the external for that reason as well. It ended up being cheaper than the tubular manifold, and hasn't given me an issue in years of abuse on track and street.

cured13
09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
this is definitely great setup but to make the best of it
what turbo elbow will be best to use with welded flapper?

Is this bigmouth style, no divider with 3" pipe still good
http://www.knightracer.com/shop/image/cache/data/sr20_turbo_elbow-500x500.jpg

or is this smaller pipe actually better after cutting off and closing that screamer tube http://www.racespecperformance.com/WebRoot/Eclipse/Shops/racespec/50A3/A002/B058/DF34/E1ED/0A33/6589/7721/200sxsc2.jpg

mattsil80wis
09-01-2013, 10:48 PM
The greddy turbo elbow works best

Divided sections but flow back together

Seraphim38
09-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Welded screamer pipes are extremely loud, for those of you who might not know.

If you want your car to yell, "LOOK AT ME" and be super loud every time you floor it, go for it.

Mile High Silvia
09-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Sure it seems expensive, but it is *the best* setup for the bottom mount GT and GTX turbos. The tubular manifolds are not built well enough (outside of a doc race maybe) to withstand the rigors of being in that spot. They really need better support structure to keep from cracking.

I went with the external for that reason as well. It ended up being cheaper than the tubular manifold, and hasn't given me an issue in years of abuse on track and street.

Thanks for your insight. I like the doc race manifold alot but already have the tomei that came on the car. Should have some cash to blow in a few weeks. Will see what I end up doing then.

I do have a greddy elbow I could slap on the car or sell if anyone wants it

Mile High Silvia
09-02-2013, 08:20 AM
I think my leak is coming from the Megan turbo elbow as it looks like the flange is warped. Would be nice if someone made a high quality vband setup. I love vbands

EsChassisLove
09-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I think my leak is coming from the Megan turbo elbow as it looks like the flange is warped. Would be nice if someone made a high quality vband setup. I love vbands

Vband is the way to go. My entire exhaust is V Band from the turbine out. Minus the T3 flange. That's a very annoying place for a vband.

Mile High Silvia
09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Vband is the way to go. My entire exhaust is V Band from the turbine out. Minus the T3 flange. That's a very annoying place for a vband.

got any pics of your setup? how are you liking the GTX? ive got the gt2860rs and thinking of upgrading to the new gtx wheel for faster spool. when do you hit full boost?

EsChassisLove
09-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm actually on a GTX3076 .82. With no timing thrown at it I'm seeing 20psi at 4200.

I used to have this set up though on my 2871. That wasn't V Banded. Pain in my ass those 5 bolt turbo flanges were. Especially with the PBM flex cobra DP. That set up saw 1 bar at 3400, same timing as my current set up. Waiting to go E85 before we start advancing timing. Should bring spool down a few hundred rpm.

Mile High Silvia
09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Right on sounds good! Thanks for the info! I'm curious to see what the 3076 puts down.

I use my car for mainly drifting and canyon so the quick spool is really nice. I'd like to be spooling around 3000-3200, if possible. I read a guy with a precision hitting like 30psi at 3200 or some shit.

240ss
11-08-2013, 03:25 PM
oh snap! can. not. fucking. wait!

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/jmeador15/IMG_20131108_170741_413_zps711752f7.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/jmeador15/media/IMG_20131108_170741_413_zps711752f7.jpg.html)

bc.
06-08-2015, 02:24 PM
On a setup like this, it should not matter where the wastegate outlet dumps back into the exhaust, correct? As far as AFR goes that is.. I want to plumb mine back in at my downpipe, but I put an aftermarket wideband detector there and want to know if I should put it downstream of that (or if it matters at all). Thanks.

BC

BlackZenkiS14
06-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Good god lol, don't worry about plumbing it back in! just DUMP IT!

NaughtyDawg63
08-22-2015, 05:53 AM
Is this service still beingredients offered?

Mile High Silvia
10-23-2015, 03:39 AM
Just picked up a stock mani!

carcrazee
04-25-2016, 06:25 PM
do you still do this stuff? been wanting this setup..

1angrykouki
05-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Is this service still available, really want this set up, lmk!!

Psychomoongoose
01-22-2018, 10:57 PM
Still available Codyace?

Emailed with no response as of yet.

TheRealSy90
01-23-2018, 10:18 AM
He still does them guys. For some reason Cody isn't able to post in this thread. Just PM him or maybe try to contact through Facebook.