PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear 350Z Review

old_s13
01-04-2004, 03:34 PM
The worst Top Gear review I've ever witnessed...

350Z: http://www.funpedia.net/vids/topgear_video/064.zip

I typically like material from Top Gear -- this review was quite useless.

Basically, they put Jerry Clarkson's over-opinioned fat ass in a 350Z to review it. The ONLY statements I can actually somewhat agree with him on are:
- The motor being the weakest part of the new Z in terms of potential and design
- The build quality of SOME of the interior parts are a bit chinsey, but they are not horrible.

Besides the fact that most US domestic cars have a MUCH worse interior design/build quality, but the Z is a bargain of a car. You simply cannot have everything, and the Z is *exactly* what it was many years ago -- a very good bargain.

I am surprised that there were Z enthusiasts there for him to interview when his only goal was to put down the car. Its not like you're commenting on aspects that are truly disappointing, he was commenting on things that were untrue.

With my review, I felt the Z was extremely light and nimble considering how much it weighs -- it has a really nice suspension design, the weak part of the Z is its OEM tires. Even the OEM brakes are acceptable, while the optional Brembo's are just awesome.

How can someone comment on the rear strut tower bar? Its as if the engineers should have made it removeable so that idiots like Jeremy Clarckson wouldnt complain. Seriously, while MOST cars DONT come with a rear strut tower bar -- and many enthusiasts ADD parts like this .. the Z comes factory with one and people complain.

I think the WORST part about his review is that he doesnt DRIVE the car, someone needs to fire his stupid ass and put Tiff behind the wheel. Stop sending an amateur to do a man's job. Whats even worse is he complained about the noise AND the sound of the motor/exhaust? Are you kidding me? Cars like the new M3 have a horrible exhaust note, the VQ motor sounds melodious and is one of the nicest OEM exhaust notes I've ever heard.

What a poor poor review. Thank god for Best Motoring videos, they are SO unbiased and SO under-exaggerated compared to this crap.

aeontony
01-04-2004, 08:37 PM
The man has something for Mazda though..try taking a look at his gushing RX-8 review. NYTimes also had an article recently placing the Z second, and the RX-8 first. For all the guy's ripping, though, the Rx-8, Z, and M3s all had _exactly_ the same lap times as driven by the mystery driver. I was kind of surprised that the rotary did so well but i guess with the tiny engine you can have some incredible weight distribution figures.

lhracer05
01-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Ya, after watching that clip of Jerry Clarkson "mauling" on the Z, it kinda left me in a state of bitterness towards Top Gear. Ahh, i hate that guy, he tries too hard to be Tiff or something and i hated how he compared an R33 to the Mclaren F1, who the hell do u fuggin expect to win. Alrite, that's enuf.

mbmbmb23
01-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by old_s13
The worst Top Gear review I've ever witnessed...

350Z: http://www.funpedia.net/vids/topgear_video/064.zip

I typically like material from Top Gear -- this review was quite useless.

Basically, they put Jerry Clarkson's over-opinioned fat ass in a 350Z to review it. The ONLY statements I can actually somewhat agree with him on are:
- The motor being the weakest part of the new Z in terms of potential and design
- The build quality of SOME of the interior parts are a bit chinsey, but they are not horrible.

Besides the fact that most US domestic cars have a MUCH worse interior design/build quality, but the Z is a bargain of a car. You simply cannot have everything, and the Z is *exactly* what it was many years ago -- a very good bargain.

I am surprised that there were Z enthusiasts there for him to interview when his only goal was to put down the car. Its not like you're commenting on aspects that are truly disappointing, he was commenting on things that were untrue.

With my review, I felt the Z was extremely light and nimble considering how much it weighs -- it has a really nice suspension design, the weak part of the Z is its OEM tires. Even the OEM brakes are acceptable, while the optional Brembo's are just awesome.

How can someone comment on the rear strut tower bar? Its as if the engineers should have made it removeable so that idiots like Jeremy Clarckson wouldnt complain. Seriously, while MOST cars DONT come with a rear strut tower bar -- and many enthusiasts ADD parts like this .. the Z comes factory with one and people complain.

I think the WORST part about his review is that he doesnt DRIVE the car, someone needs to fire his stupid ass and put Tiff behind the wheel. Stop sending an amateur to do a man's job. Whats even worse is he complained about the noise AND the sound of the motor/exhaust? Are you kidding me? Cars like the new M3 have a horrible exhaust note, the VQ motor sounds melodious and is one of the nicest OEM exhaust notes I've ever heard.

What a poor poor review. Thank god for Best Motoring videos, they are SO unbiased and SO under-exaggerated compared to this crap.

Take a week to go over everything, then write a tactful letter to the editor. Seriously.

-m

zero.counter
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Hmmmph....

Flybert
01-05-2004, 12:43 AM
That guy is such a bitch. Since when does he ever mention putting a dog in the hatch of any of the other sports cars he drives. Fuck that guy and his opinion.

old_s13
01-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by mbmbmb23
Take a week to go over everything, then write a tactful letter to the editor. Seriously.

-m

Nope. I have a feeling that was THEIR goal, to get people roudy about the 350Z. I think a lot of times companies do stupid stuff like this to stir up contraversy. Besides, there is a second review where there is a younger guy who praises the Z while Jeremy Clarckson thinks the RX-8 is a much more superior car.

It very much could be that he's getting paid to say what HE has to say, while the other reviewer is taking the side for the 350Z. Either way, I think its all BS.

The best non-biased reviews are found either by Tiff Needell, Best Motoring videos, or evo magazines -- my favorite reviewers. Jeremy Clarckson has always been an idiot plus, I dont think he can drive. Although I've SEEN him drive some cars on some empty air fields, how can someone with BALLS say "I dont want to drive this car hard because the drummer from Def Leopard crashed and now drives with a knob" -- what a faig and HOW offensive. No common sense...

- Mike

240Driver39
01-05-2004, 01:56 PM
wow...watchin that just gave me an urge to punch the next person i see in the face...if i were one of those Z owners in the beginning i would have done so.

AKADriver
01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I get a kick out of Clarkson's opinions, not only because they're so far removed from mine but because he can be so over the top. He's the embodiment of all that's silly with the British motoring press... they are VERY biased against anything with a touch of American style to it. There's a prevailing opinion that American road conditions are universally very different from those of the UK - but it's just not so. They don't call the Northeast "New England" for nothing. Try to find a palm-tree-lined boulevard in Boston.

Tiff was great on that show, and he's still great on his new show 5th Gear (with the lovely Vicki Butler-Henderson :D ). The best example I've seen of the differences between Tiff and Clarkson is from the 1997 Top Gear Car of the Year segment. The car is a Ford Puma, a lightweight little subcompact FWD coupe. Tiff drives it, tail-out, full opposite lock, tire smoke everywhere, smiling the whole time, while Jeremy nearly loses his lunch in the passenger seat. :p