PDA

View Full Version : Exedy OEM vs Stage 1 clutch

iamtheyi
01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Anybody have any opinions? Want to change the clutch for a stock ka24 for the s14. Been reading weird stuff about it. People say there's no difference. Others say there's just more holding power with the stage 1. There's about a two hundred dollar price difference between the two so I'm just curious.

jr_ss
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
OEM replacement is just that... Stage one is most likely an upgraded pressure plate with more clamping force to hold "more" power...

iamtheyi
01-07-2012, 09:39 PM
so for my car at the track, the OEM replacement would be fine? or should I shell out the cash for the stage 1?

Kingtal0n
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
If you have an OEM KA24 Engine, I would just go for the OEM clutch assuming it is cheaper.

And, a bit of slip at the track might actually help.

pogstar
01-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I have an bnib exedy oem clutch fs if you want, pm me

Kiro1968
01-12-2012, 04:22 AM
I have the Exedy Stage 1 clutch with Fidanza lightweight flywheel in my s14 se model. Prior to that I ran a stock flywheel and stock clutch. I like this combo over stock, I would say you can feel some difference. Can feel there is better contact or grip between the flywheel and clutch and better power transfer to the rear end. Well that's just my $0.02 cents.

tapdeznutz
01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
OEM replacement is just that... Stage one is most likely an upgraded pressure plate with more clamping force to hold "more" power...

if that the case would it make more sense to buy decent(upgraded) pressure plate only and buy disc separately vs buying the entire kit. just curious as well. throwing it out there

jr_ss
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, you could do that, but you'll be spending the same if not more trying to piece together something.

I bought an RPS MAX street clutch when I did my SR swap 5years ago. That thing took a beating, drag passes, power slides, clutch kicks everything I threw at it and it was just a full face organic disk with an upgraded PP. I sold it still in great condition with over 25k miles of abuse. Wouldn't hesitate to run that clutch setup on a mild setup. Hell I ran it on my top mount 3071R setup and it held up great.

stockdrift
01-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I have done act flywheel clutch stGe 3 ..its nice and grabs..i have done d21 with 280tt clutch very smooth/ solf clutch kinda slow revs but holds most recent has been rb flywheel oem exedy 350z ckutch and I love it more than anything

tapdeznutz
01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
most recent has been rb flywheel oem exedy 350z ckutch and I love it more than anything

this setup on a KA?? and what rb flywheel?

jr_ss
01-14-2012, 10:17 AM
this setup on a KA?? and what rb flywheel?

Most likely his setup was on an SR. However KA/SR/VG/VQ transmissions all have the same spline count.

tapdeznutz
01-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Most likely his setup was on an SR. However KA/SR/VG/VQ transmissions all have the same spline count.

so sr and ka vg use the same trans??

MrChow
01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I'll be honest that OEM clutch sucks! We used it on my friend's s13 and we hated it! Spent the money it'll last you.

jr_ss
01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
so sr and ka vg use the same trans??

SR and KA have the same transmission, different bellhousings. The VG uses a completely different transmission, much stronger than the SR/KA trans. However, they all have the same spline size/count. For example, I am running an Exedy twin disk for an SR, but have a VG trans behind my motor...

iamtheyi
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I have done act flywheel clutch stGe 3 ..its nice and grabs..i have done d21 with 280tt clutch very smooth/ solf clutch kinda slow revs but holds most recent has been rb flywheel oem exedy 350z ckutch and I love it more than anything

I do not really understand what's going on here but stage three is not for me. I don't need that much holding power and driving in traffic with it sucks donkey balls. Doing a white bunny clutch isn't too appealing either because while reading into it, it says something is going to be shaved down? No one is really clear on what is and how it does it so I'd rather go for a clutch setup that is specifically for my vehicle.

I'll be honest that OEM clutch sucks! We used it on my friend's s13 and we hated it! Spent the money it'll last you.

Did you keep the clutch dampening box? or did you run the lines straight to the slave cylinder? So would you recommend going stage 1 then?

hOngsterr
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
i use stock clutch at track, not bad, since you're just starting off, just get oem, i would, why dish out more money if its not boosted. dish out money on footwork.

fliprayzin240sx
01-14-2012, 07:48 PM
All you have to shave down is the dowel pin on the crank. KA24E flywheels doesnt have a hole for the dowel pin to go into.

MrChow
01-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Did you keep the clutch dampening box? or did you run the lines straight to the slave cylinder? So would you recommend going stage 1 then?

Lines straight to the slave. Yeah Stage is what I would say. Um I have a stage one act that is really good too.

iamtheyi
01-16-2012, 02:19 AM
lol. There has been no definite answer in this thread :'(. So sad todaiii~

jr_ss
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
You asked for opinions... You got them, it's your decision. Buy one or the other...

iamtheyi
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
You asked for opinions... You got them, it's your decision. Buy one or the other...

lol I know man :bow:

hOngsterr
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
go stock, its not like your ka is gunna pop out with monster power out of no where and make the disc slip while you're tracking. Dont like it, buy a stage one and sell the stock one.

epik1
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
OP stock KA or KA with an intake (+25000WHP ZOMG), just get OEM Exedy, save your $60 or whatever the difference was between Stage 1 and OEM.

Save your monies for suspension upgrades/maintenance (bushings, etc.) or whatever else your S14 is going to need, because chances are that you're going to swap for an SR or something else, so unless you know 140% that you're going to build and boost that KA, just get OEM.

tapdeznutz
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
i have a question. is there a difference between OEM and like autozone/kragen quality parts?

iamtheyi
01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
I have the autozone and kragen one in my car and it feels like total crap. Don't get it.

ninja edit: And thank you everyone for your input.