PDA

View Full Version : new school classic hip hop

RBBaby
01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
what new school hip hop songs do you guys think are truely classic? I just started thinking about this while cleaning out my ooooold computer, and I stumbled along my old music collection... well here is my short list, including some newer songs that I think are classic, I know I missed ALOT, so please suggest yours and I'll edit this list and maybe we can make a zilvia super compilation! :-P

BTW, some of these songs cant really be appreciated untill you hear them coming out of some brand new bose 901's.... its truely magic :bowdown:

Definately:
BG and Lil Wayne - Bling Bling
Black Star - Definition
Black Star - Thieves In The Night
DMX - Party Up
Dr. Dre and Eminem - Forgot About Dre
Jay Z, Ja Rule and Amil - Can I Get A...
Jay Z and DMX - Money, Cash, Hoes
Juvenile - Back That Ass Up
Murphy Lee - Wat Da Hook Gon Be
Nappy Roots - Round The World
Nappy Roots - Aww Naw
Nelly - Country Grammar
Outkast - Spottieottiedopalicious
Outkast - Rosa Parks
Outkast - Ghetomusick
Slick Rick - Childrens Story
T.I. and Beanie Man - I'm Serious (DL this song and turn the bass up!!!)
TLC - No Scrubs
Tupac and Dr. Dre - California Love
Tupac - Ambitionz Az a Ridah
Warren G - Regulators

maybe, let's discuss:
Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes To Worst
Gza- Knock Knock
Jay Z - Lucifer
Lil Wyte - In The Street
Limp Bizkit and Method Man - N2Gether Now
Memphis Bleek and Jay Z and Missy Elliot - Is That Your Bitch

Wu Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

wherezmytofu
01-02-2004, 02:58 PM
that list spans from 95 - present :bash:

RBBaby
01-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by wherezmytofu
that list spans from 95 - present :bash:

slick rick....

240Degrees
01-02-2004, 10:58 PM
giiiiirls giiiirls giiirls giiiirls, gurrrrrrls i do adoooooooore - jay z - girls girls girls

DRFT
01-03-2004, 02:13 AM
jay z is not as good as he used to be. he's losing his touch. hes too old for the game.

same for dmx. and ja rule man....he never had it.

KiDyNomiTe
01-03-2004, 06:21 AM
To some half of that list is rap, but I guess we all have our own classifications.

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DRFT
jay z is not as good as he used to be. he's losing his touch. hes too old for the game.

are you kidding me? have you HEARD the black album?!?!?

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 10:00 AM
come on, lets hear some more input!

vodka
01-03-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm not feeling the black album either, but here are some of mine...

Whether its hip hop or rap, it'll be on there
Wu Tang Clan- Triumph, Cream
Eminem- Stan, Sing for the Moment
Outkast- The Way U Move, BOB
Nappy Roots- Awww No
Joe Budden- Focus
Redman & Method Man-Da Rockwilder and both How Highs
J5- Lausd
Dilated Peoples- Worst comes to worst

jsr20det
01-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Eminem - My name is, The way I am
Ludacris - Southern Hospitality
Jay Z & DMX - Money, Cash, Ho's
Black Rob - Like Whoa

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by vodka
I'm not feeling the black album either, but here are some of mine...

Whether its hip hop or rap, it'll be on there
Wu Tang Clan- Triumph, Cream
Eminem- Stan, Sing for the Moment
Outkast- The Way U Move, BOB
Nappy Roots- Awww No
Joe Budden- Focus
Redman & Method Man-Da Rockwilder and both How Highs
J5- Lausd
Dilated Peoples- Worst comes to worst

I agree with some of those, but others... eh. remember, we're going for CLASSIC songs.... how high isnt really classic, IMO, neither is focus... same with the way u move.... but BOB, thats totally open for debate, I think it is but alot of ppl dont, we'll see what other Zlivia ppl think...

oh, and its C.R.E.A.M., not cream :D

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by jsr20det
Eminem - My name is, The way I am
Jay Z & DMX - Money, Cash, Ho's
Black Rob - Like Whoa
nice choices.

updating will be happening slowly but surely. lets just make a really big list and whittle it down to... say... 40 songs in the end?

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
check it out now... lets discuss...

old_s13
01-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Some of those songs are SERIOUSLY shitty. I feel like I am listening to people from the mid-west talk about rap, all you guys are exposed to is mainstream amerikkka krapola.

In order to be classic, first the song must be GOOD. Here are some of my favorite artists with plenty of songs to pick from:

Common
De La Soul
DJ Quik / Mausberg / Suga Free
Dogg Pound
Erick Sermon
Blackalicious
Big Punisher
Guru / Premier
DJ Honda
Goodie Mob
Jay-Z
Jurassic 5
LL Cool J
Mos Def
NAS
Nate Dogg
Treach
Notorious BIG
NWA / Eaze-E / Ice Cube
Outkast
Rakim
Rappin 4-tay
Talib Kweli
Roots
Slick Rick
Snoop (That whore)
Too Short
Tribe Called Quest
Warren G
Wu-Tang
Xzibit

I'll save TuPac for last, mostly because there isnt really anything that ***HE*** hasnt made that doesnt completely stem from his crazy lifestyle.. its unfiltered rap at its best, mostly because it didnt get corrupted and over-edited. ANYTHING NEW that you see being re-released by "TuPac" is just a waste of time. I saw the soundtrack from his new movie had been worked on my Eminem and I think NAS.. GAG.. whatever, they let the vultures feed off of someone elses footsteps. I think Eminem is just a waste of time. Although he does have skills, he's just too cheap. There are much better white rappers that I would rather listen to.

- mike

Tuck&Poke
01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
i wrote a big post but i messed up when i sent it, and i dont feel like writing it again, basically i said limpbizkit rocked warren g was awsome and so was de la soul

i agree w/ most of the artists in old s13's post

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by old_s13
Some of those songs are SERIOUSLY shitty. I feel like I am listening to people from the mid-west talk about rap, all you guys are exposed to is mainstream amerikkka krapola.

In order to be classic, first the song must be GOOD. Here are some of my favorite artists with plenty of songs to pick from:

Common
De La Soul
DJ Quik / Mausberg / Suga Free
Dogg Pound
Erick Sermon
Blackalicious
Big Punisher
Guru / Premier
DJ Honda
Goodie Mob
Jay-Z
Jurassic 5
LL Cool J
Mos Def
NAS
Nate Dogg
Treach
Notorious BIG
NWA / Eaze-E / Ice Cube
Outkast
Rakim
Rappin 4-tay
Talib Kweli
Roots
Slick Rick
Snoop (That whore)
Too Short
Tribe Called Quest
Warren G
Wu-Tang
Xzibit

I'll save TuPac for last, mostly because there isnt really anything that ***HE*** hasnt made that doesnt completely stem from his crazy lifestyle.. its unfiltered rap at its best, mostly because it didnt get corrupted and over-edited. ANYTHING NEW that you see being re-released by "TuPac" is just a waste of time. I saw the soundtrack from his new movie had been worked on my Eminem and I think NAS.. GAG.. whatever, they let the vultures feed off of someone elses footsteps. I think Eminem is just a waste of time. Although he does have skills, he's just too cheap. There are much better white rappers that I would rather listen to.

- mike

nice lookin out, but instead of just saying SOME of it is shitty, tell me what specifically! This isnt MY list, I want it to be ZILVIAs list. so instead of just giving me some artists and expecting me to pick the best songs, gimme a couple songs for each.

thanks for reminding me of sermon, big pun, Nas, Treach, and too short.

now come on, put a little more into it :-P

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 01:02 PM
oh, and remember, this is a best HIP HOP list, not best RAP.... if its just a guy rhyming over a simplistic beat, it doesnt count. it has to actually have some music in it, unless its a major exception.

camppain
01-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I agree with Mikes list except for the missing underground rappers like Sage Francis (white Rapper) listen to Makeshift Patriot classic song.

Atmosphere
Kanye West
Jeru The Damaja
Afu Ra
Planet Asia
Ras Kass (one of the damn best LYRICISTS! PERIOD!) listen to nature of the threat and you'll agree
Hyroglyphics or however its spelled (yeah I'm lazy)
Juice (who beat Em in a battle)
The last Emperor
El P
Acrobatik
ICE T
KRS One
MOP
Freddie Fox aka Bumpy Kuckles
DITC
OC
BIG L
CAMPPAIN :p

Theres more but I can't think of them at the moment. But to include TLC as hip hop?:confused: And the black album is ok, his best were Reasonable Doubt and the Blueprint all others were subpar. And all the additions of any hot boy or whatever crap can never ever ever be considered HIP HOP.
NELLY AND anyone from his crew is wack........W3RD

Steeles
01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
well old_s13 broke down the artist list pretty damn well.

what sucks on the earlier list? Nelly for starters. he's a commercial byproduct much like N'sync.

some of the stuff in your original list is already considered Classic anyway (i.e. regulators, C.R.E.A.M. Childrens story)

Jay Z has done MUCH better songs than the album fluff you listed. hell all of blueprint 2 disk one is better than those two. (part of that stems from my deep hatred of Ja Rule but I digress) same with outkast and DMX.

I have to disagree with whoever said How High wasnt a classic. it marked a long awaited pairing of two of hip hops most animated MCs which led to an album and a movie numerous guess spots and a tv show. name any other song thats done that...

modern classics are few and far between and thats just because hip hop in general is in a sad state (see phlips signature for our views) but its a growth period for it. Hip hop has officially kicked in the door of mainstream america and thats good. but the music itself has fallen to the level of Disco. and like disco Im waiting on this crap to die and the real MC's to make a come back.

Phlip and I will have words over this Im sure but I dont think kanye west is that great of a rapper... phenominal producer but hes only OK as a rapper. same with Lil John.

Classics are something that stand the test of time. will mainstream still be rocking to it 5 years from now? ten? theres alot of people that dont like will smith rapping anymore but Summertime is STILL a staple in just about every radio station I hears summer rotation. That makes it a classic.

you want good hip hop... find the Supafriendz (Skillz absolutely RIPS and I'm still mad at him for never putting ghost writer out with the names in it. that song had the whole INDUSTRY writing checks. joe doja is pretty good but lonnie B and Danja Mouf are still crushing)

oh and RB.. NEVER ever ever forget.. Rap is something we DO hip hop is something we LIVE

oh and I have to put ovah here by KRS 1 on the list just cause he rips the holy ish outta nelly and all commercial rappers!

soulDistortion
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by RBBaby
oh, and remember, this is a best HIP HOP list, not best RAP.... if its just a guy rhyming over a simplistic beat, it doesnt count. it has to actually have some music in it, unless its a major exception.

Hip Hop is not music any more than a car is an engine.

I'll let that one marinate.

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 07:01 PM
wow, maybe we have diffrent tastes, maybe I'm a "mainstream whore", but maybe you guys are just sore about some artists so all you like is underground. lemme guess, del the funky homosapien? ok, you guys make your own list, because our tastes are too diffrent

RBBaby
01-03-2004, 07:10 PM
BG and Lil Wayne - Bling Bling
Black Star - Definition
Black Star - Thieves In The Night
DMX - Party Up
DMX - Rough Riders Anthem
Dr. Dre and Eminem - Forgot About Dre
Gza - Knock Knock
Ja Rule - Holla Holla
Jay Z, Ja Rule and Amil - Can I Get A...
Jay Z and DMX - Money, Cash, Hoes
Jay Z - Lucifer
Juvenile - Back That Ass Up
Lil Wyte - In The Street
Memphis Bleek and Jay Z and Missy Elliot - Is That Your Bitch
Method Man and Red Man - Da Rockwilder
Murphy Lee - Wat Da Hook Gon Be
Nappy Roots - Round The World
Nappy Roots - Aww Naw
Nelly - Country Grammar
Outkast - Spottieottiedopalicious
Outkast - Rosa Parks
Outkast - Ghetomusick
Slick Rick - Childrens Story
T.I. and Beanie Man - I'm Serious (DL this song and turn the bass up!!!)
Tupac and Dr. Dre - California Love
Tupac - Ambitionz Az a Ridah

so there :p :D

Bling Bling for life.

kazuo
01-03-2004, 08:28 PM
This is supposed to be about hiphop and all I see is a bunch of R&B

"R&B... Rap and Bullshit" - RZA

"...with some whack nigga loopin a beat, thinkin that its gonna be the sound of the culture" - RZA

Most of this stuff doesnt even remotely qualify as hiphop.

Big ups to all who pointed at Common, Kweli, and DEL... WHO SAID DEL?!?!?!

Hieroglyphics!

Old-school Wu (pre double CD, after that they started to suck; includes Wu spinoffs like GZA/Liquid Swords, GhostFaceKillah/IronMan and the CUBAN LINX CD), Common Sense, J5, Living Legends (even tho they are new to me!), Dialated Peoples, Hieroglyhics Crew (DELTRON/Casual/Souls of Mischeif etc etc), Canibus, Rakim, Mos Def, GANG STARR, TRIBE, etc etc.. yall should know, if not then... boohoo :(

And I gotta represent Locksmith & The Frontline even tho yall may have never heard of em...

"Buy the Wu-Tang double CD... and you'll get all the education you need" - RZA

:D

Only good song Jay-Z ever did was "Dead Presidents II" on Reasonable Doubt, and you know this... although I admit "December 4th" on the Black Album makes me laugh my ass off. :D

Oh, and you guys wanna hear a sicc beat?

Wu-Tang Clan - IRON FLAG (The Track, not the Album)

Until it switches up into garbage about 3 minutes in, thats like one of the coolest beats I have ever heard in my life. :D

theronin
01-03-2004, 08:35 PM
..... none of you can ever say you are a fan of rap. you all forgot one of the single greatest rap songs of all time.

drumroll

ahem, Nothing But A 'G Thang by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg

POSERS :bow:

soulDistortion
01-03-2004, 09:42 PM
wow, maybe we have diffrent tastes, maybe I'm a "mainstream whore", but maybe you guys are just sore about some artists so all you like is underground. lemme guess, del the funky homosapien? ok, you guys make your own list, because our tastes are too diffrent

There is no "underground" any more than there is "mainstream".

Music either sucks or it doesn't, and even that is subjective.

old_s13
01-04-2004, 01:27 AM
rbbaby> nice lookin out, but instead of just saying SOME of it is shitty, tell me what specifically! This isnt MY list, I want it to be ZILVIAs list. so instead of just giving me some artists and expecting me to pick the best songs, gimme a couple songs for each.

I am not going to spend my time listing songs, I am going to list artists -- from there, its up to YOU to fish through their music and separate the good from bad. :) If you put in the work and have a good ear, you should have no problem finding "quality songs."

steeles> oh and RB.. NEVER ever ever forget.. Rap is something we DO hip hop is something we LIVE

While I agree a lot with you, I disagree with the above statement. Living in LA all my life, I think every type of music has its culture that follows it. I think rap is definately different than hip hop. I see your point, but I am just too stuck on rap being DIFFERENT than hip hop.

For me, hip hop has ALWAYS been the more rootsy underground and clean type of rap music being made. This always consisted of artists like Arrested Development, Del, Roots, Common, Tribe, all that root down type music. For me, TRUE RAP has always been the OG shit.. whether its Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, or what *I* went through -- NWA, Eaze-E, Ice Cube, and ALL the old-school LA gangster rap.. thats MY vision of rap. When I hear Kool Moe Dee and LL battling, THAT is what I call rap. I got sucked in back when gangster rap was getting big. I think I have a good view of music because I know artists like TuPac are prolific, and artists like Snoop well.. they fall off after "The Doggfather" because they wanted to sell out and work with morons like that bitchass MASTER P.

kazuo> This is supposed to be about hiphop and all I see is a bunch of R&B

Yeah whatever man.. you dont hear us mention R Kelly, nor do we mention the Isley Brothers. No one mentioned Aaliyah, and you never heard Tone Toni Tony get mentioned.. so where do YOU see R&B? ;)

----

My view? Well, I think people who are TRULY down will appreciate A LOT of music. I tend to dislike folks who think RAP is weak and HIP HOP is better, as if they dont intermix. I tend to stumble on those fake-type who like all the underground HIP HOP nowadays and walk in people's tracks thinking they are cool for liking Comon, Mos Def, and Talib just because few KNEW about them back in the day. Now that they are popular they are down with "hip hop" and thats mostly because these artists are not rugged, they're clean-cut rap thats easy to listen to. If you cant handle NWA or any Eaze-E, or if you dont laugh listening to Too Short -- you dont like rap, you're just pretending. You're the type who likes suckaz like Will Smith because "he raps happy." Fuck Will Smith, his rap has always sucked. While Summertime may be a classic, listen to the original by Kool & the Gang called "Summer Madness" -- you'll be amazed at how little work Will did to make a hit, he's amazingly talented at stealing beats and not working on them. Sounds a lot like most rappers, ahem Master P and Puff Daddy -- useless bunch if you ask me. While I DO like Summertime, I think he got lucky on that one. The rest of his music, and I mean EVERYTHING ELSE, is a waste.

Nelly? Juvenile? Eminem? hehe come on now....

old_s13
01-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Lets make a change to this thread, how about this:

WHEN I DIE, BURY ME WITH THESE SONGS:

Arrested Development -- Raining Revolution
Big Daddy Kane -- Aint No Half Steppin
Big Daddy Kane -- The Wrath of Kane
Big Punisher -- Its So Hard
Blackalicious -- Shallow Days
Bone Thugs n Harmony -- For tha Love of Money
Bone Thugs n Harmony -- Thuggish Ruggish Bone
Brand Nubian -- Dont Let it go to your Head
Busta Rhymes -- Dangerous
Club Nouveau -- Rumors
Common/Premier -- 6th Sense
Common/Femi Kuti -- Time Travelling
Common/JillScott/Bilal -- Funky For You
Coolio -- Gangster's Paradise
Craig Mack -- Do You See
Craig Mack -- Flava In Ya Ear (og and remix, both good)
Cypress Hill -- Insane In the Membrane
Cypress Hill -- Tequila Sunrise
De La Soul -- Me, Myself and I
Deltron 3030 -- Mastermind
Deltron 3030 -- Memory Loss
Digital Underground/Luniz -- We Got More
Digital Underground/Tupac -- Same Song
Digital Underground/Tupac -- Wassup wit the love
Digital Underground -- Humpty Dance
DJ Honda -- 5 SEconds
DJ Honda/DeLaSoul -- Trouble in the Water
DJ Honda/Mos Def -- Travelling Man
DJ Premier/Royce Da 59 -- BOOM
DJ Quik -- Just about every song he's ever made, ESPECIALLY every "Quik's Groove" ever made (1-7).
DMX -- I hate DMX, but I'll take "Damien" "Dogs for Life" "Hows it Going Down" "Look Thru My Eyes" "Slippin"

anyway thats enuff for now.........

RBBaby
01-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Lets make a change to this thread, how about this:

WHEN I DIE, BURY ME WITH THESE SONGS:

Arrested Development -- Raining Revolution
Big Daddy Kane -- Aint No Half Steppin
Big Daddy Kane -- The Wrath of Kane
Big Punisher -- Its So Hard
Blackalicious -- Shallow Days
Bone Thugs n Harmony -- For tha Love of Money
Bone Thugs n Harmony -- Thuggish Ruggish Bone
Brand Nubian -- Dont Let it go to your Head
Busta Rhymes -- Dangerous
Club Nouveau -- Rumors
Common/Premier -- 6th Sense
Common/Femi Kuti -- Time Travelling
Common/JillScott/Bilal -- Funky For You
Coolio -- Gangster's Paradise
Craig Mack -- Do You See
Craig Mack -- Flava In Ya Ear (og and remix, both good)
Cypress Hill -- Insane In the Membrane
Cypress Hill -- Tequila Sunrise
De La Soul -- Me, Myself and I
Deltron 3030 -- Mastermind
Deltron 3030 -- Memory Loss
Digital Underground/Luniz -- We Got More
Digital Underground/Tupac -- Same Song
Digital Underground/Tupac -- Wassup wit the love
Digital Underground -- Humpty Dance
DJ Honda -- 5 SEconds
DJ Honda/DeLaSoul -- Trouble in the Water
DJ Honda/Mos Def -- Travelling Man
DJ Premier/Royce Da 59 -- BOOM
DJ Quik -- Just about every song he's ever made, ESPECIALLY every "Quik's Groove" ever made (1-7).
DMX -- I hate DMX, but I'll take "Damien" "Dogs for Life" "Hows it Going Down" "Look Thru My Eyes" "Slippin"

anyway thats enuff for now.........

uhg... I downloaded some of those songs and Im pretty sure Im about to barf all over my keyboard.... "mastermind" is the worst song I've heard in a reeeeealy long time.

Takumi
01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Sad....you guys totally slept on Gangstarr. DJ Premiere and Guru were always my favorite since I heard "Mass Appeal" (yea, yea, they've been out longer than that) in Jr. High during late night weekend hip-hop mix shows on KMEL (Northern Cali's hip-hop/R&B station).

Here's my personal list:
"Mass Appeal" by Gangstarr
"Definition" by Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli)
"NY State of Mind" by Nas (actually, the whole "Illmatic" album, but that's a tad too much)
"One Mic" by Nas
"Elevators" by Outkast
"The Art of Storytelling" by Outkast feat. Slick Rick
"Shook Ones Pt II" by Mobb Deep
"Keep It Thorough" by Prodigy of Mobb Deep
"Everything Remains Raw" by Busta Rhymes
"Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest
"2nd Round KO" by Canibus (shame...another ill emcee slept on in this thread)
"Alphabet Aerobics" by Blackalicious (or A to G, almost the same song)
"Time For Some Action" by Redman
"How To Rob (The Industry)" by 50 Cent (man, the controversy this song brought!)
"Unbelievable" by Notorious BIG
"Keep Ya Head Up" by 2 Pac
"Ebonics" by Big L
"Any Man" by Eminem (yea...mainstream cats don't know about that Rawkus Soundbombing shit)
"New York, New York" by Tha Dogg Pound
"Music Makes Me High (remix)" by Lost Boyz feat. Tha Dogg Pound & Canibus
"Simon Says" by Pharohe Monch
"Boom" by Royce the 5'9
"93 Til Inifinity" by Souls of Mischief
"Drop" by The Pharcyde
"Guess Who's Back" by Scarface feat. Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel
"Proceed" by The Roots
"Paparazzi" by Xzibit

There's more, but I'm too sleepy to list the rest.

As for more recent stuff:
"Lucifer" by Jay-Z
"The Way You Move" by Big Boi (Outkast)
"Get By" by Talib Kweli
"Hip-Hop Quotables" by Ludacris
"Recognize" by Scarface

For beats alone, I'd have to say anything by DJ Premiere, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Alchemist, etc is good stuff.

Other than that lately, there's not much that's got some rhymes that'll be quotable for years to come that'll make me go "damn that's a good verse" or beats that every DJ wants to throw in their mixes. Cuz a lot of the shit out nowadays just don't cut it and it's only cool to listen to for a month or so then you get tired of it. Don't get it twisted, there are a lot of good records, just not "classics".

For the record, everyone from the St. Lunatics suck, except for Murphy Lee.

old_s13
01-04-2004, 11:06 AM
uhg... I downloaded some of those songs and Im pretty sure Im about to barf all over my keyboard.... "mastermind" is the worst song I've heard in a reeeeealy long time.

Thats because your mind is infected and is programmed to listen to CRAP like "Country Grammar" and "Bling Bling." Second, what city/state are you in? Answering that will say a lot about what type of music you are accustomed to liking.. ;)

To add more to the list:
Dogg Pound/Tupac -- Initiated
Dogg Pount/Kurrupt -- Girls All Pause
Dogg Pound -- Coastin
Dogg Pound -- New York New York
Dogg Pound -- Nothin But the Cavi Hit
Dogg Pound -- Ridin Slipin and Slidin
Dogg Pound/Snoop -- Smooth
Dre -- Let Me Ride, Like this and like that, lil ghetto boy, Xxplosive
Dru Down -- Mack of the Year
Dungeon Family (Outkast and Goodiemob) -- Follow the Light
E40 -- I got 5 on it, Things Will Never Change
East Coast All Stars -- Self Distruction
Eazy-E -- Two Hard Mothafuckas, Eazy-er Said than Dunn, Gimme that Nut, Nobody Move, Hit the Hooker, Real Mothafuckin G's.
EPMD -- YOU'SE GOT TO CHILL, crossover, strictly business
Erick Sermon -- Music, Im Hot, So Sweet, Do Re Me
Erule -- Listen Up
Lauryn Hill/Stephen Marley - Turn Your Lights Down Low
Lauryn -- Zion
Fugees -- Apocalypse, Guantanamera, Fu-gee-la, Ready or Not
Gang Starr -- TOOOOOOO fuckin much to list... but you can start with songs like: Battle, Betrayal, Discipline, Full Clip, In Memory Of, JFK 2 LAX, Just to get a rep, SKILLS, The Anthem, Rep Grows Bigga, WORK.
Goodie Mob -- Black Ice, Dirty South, Sesame Street, Soul Food, The Day After.
Handsome Boy Modeling School -- The Truth Hurts

blah thats enough for you.. I wont even pass "H" on my list.. I have too much music and you're just too simple to appreciate this shit. :)

old_s13
01-04-2004, 11:28 AM
I gotta give it up to Takumi, the man laid down some good tracks to add to my 8,000 mp3 collection...

RB baby.. you still need to go to music school. :) I'm listening to all these tracks on a bigass high quality stereo, but even if I was listening to them on a Fisher Price boombox, I'de still know that Nelly and Juvenile are toilet paper artists.. hahahah :) :) :)

its all good, i remember listening to crap too when I was 16. haha

Takumi
01-04-2004, 12:01 PM
When RBBaby said he hated "Mastermind", I thought he was talking about that crappy song off Nas' "God's Son". That's the most horrible Alchemist beat I've ever heard.

camppain
01-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Ohhh can't forget every graf artists anthem!

Artifacts- "wrong side of da tracks"
and "come wit da get down"

Classics! now they are broken up :-\

Takumi
01-04-2004, 12:06 PM
The video for "Wrong Side of the Tracks" was awesome.

Here's some more.

"Damn" by Alcoholiks
"Watch Out Now" by Beatnuts
"Time's Up" by OC
"Animal Planet" by Gza
"East Coast Killas, West Coast Killas" by Dr. Dre feat. RBX, KRS-One, B-Real, and Nas
"Get At Me Dog" by DMX
"Oakland Blackouts" by Blackalicious
"Hail Mary" by Makaveli (2 Pac)
"Poet Laureate" by Canibus
"Many Clouds of Smoke" by Total Devestation (okay, so it's around 93-94, oh well)
"Rather Unique" by AZ
"22 Two's" by Jay-Z (Jay-Z flexes his verbal muscles in this one!)
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem (overplayed, but a classic lyrically and musically)
"Virginia" by Clipse (that's about the best Clipse song I've heard, the beat Neptunes hooked it up with is raw)

old_s13
01-04-2004, 12:19 PM
BTW, am I the only one who thinks Flip Flop Rock w/ Killer Mike and Jay-Z off of Big Boi's new Outkast album is the bomb? man people are sleeping on that track...

Takumi
01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
BTW, am I the only one who thinks Flip Flop Rock w/ Killer Mike and Jay-Z off of Big Boi's new Outkast album is the bomb? man people are sleeping on that track...

Nah, that one's hot. If you like that one, check out "Poppin' Tags" off Jay-Z's Blueprint 2 with Big Boi, Killer Mike, and Twista. Kanye West hooked it up with a sick ass southern sounding beat. "Slo Jamz" by Twista feat. Kanye West and Jamie Fox is a new track that has Kanye experimenting with a southern sound.

old_s13
01-04-2004, 12:40 PM
all I got to say is:

Wesley Willis - Rock n Roll McDonalds

Thats the fucking SHIT! RIP Wesley..

RBBaby
01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
wait, im the simple one because I like music thats more than just a person talking over a beat? lol. yeah, you listen to your "great" sound system... I'll listen to my music on my multispeaker waist tall cerwin vegas and bose 301s.... damn, what a shitty system.

Im from saint louis by the way, but its not like it really matters. the songs sound the same no matter where you're listening to them, lol. true some people are influenced by their locality, but if I was I'd be saying "da saint lunatikz be off da hook doo!"

I never said nelly was the shit, what I did say however was that country grammer is a classic song. its a classic album too, but nellyville SUCKED.

sorry, but if you're gonna go and say I need to go to music school, Im gonna go ahead and let you know the truth: Your music is dated and obsolete, you cant dance to it, you cant fuck to it, and you cant play it at a party, so whats the point? I think you need to go BACK to music school, theres more to a song than the lyrics.

old_s13
01-04-2004, 01:43 PM
baby RB, put the crack pipe down..

Your music is dated and obsolete

No, CHEAP music gets dated.. good music lasts forever. This is why you'll see older artists like LL Cool J who were around, STILL are around.

you cant dance to it

Then you need to learn how to dance. The clubs I go out here in LA, you'll hear old and new songs being mixed together as if time hasnt changed. I'm 25, not young.. not old. I just dont go to places that play over-played radio hits and consider that "hot."

you cant fuck to it

Lauryn Hill and Stephen Marley didnt do anything for you? Have you checked your pulse? hehe

I never said nelly was the shit, what I did say however was that country grammer is a classic song.

Country Grammar is not a good song, its a good INSTRUMENTAL.

I'll listen to my music on my multispeaker waist tall cerwin vegas and bose 301s.... damn, what a shitty system.

I wasnt comparing the system, I was telling you that it doesnt matter what TYPE of stereo system you have, even a boombox is good enough to draw a THUMBS DOWN on some of the songs you mentioned.

My Klipsch KG's and my JBL 15" THX sub 0wns j000... hehe :)

camppain
01-04-2004, 07:11 PM
who wants to fu</>ck to hip hop? thats what SADE is for!

And yeahyou can dance to it! its called breakin' young buck!

not that rave goo goo night stick shit wanna be pop lockin crap.

I'm sorry when you need to take a kiddie song and use it to make a song that shows your intelectual level. And for Monica dating Nelly! Bah shes now a whore!

You asked and we commented why are you getting mad?

theronin
01-04-2004, 07:17 PM
sorry, but if you're gonna go and say I need to go to music school, Im gonna go ahead and let you know the truth: Your music is dated and obsolete, you cant dance to it, you cant fuck to it, and you cant play it at a party, so whats the point? I think you need to go BACK to music school, theres more to a song than the lyrics.

then you need to learn to do 2 things A) dance and B) fuck. my lady looked over old s13's lists and said alot of that shit is very very fuckable. she says Eazy E and Too Short get her wet.

Phlip
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
I have given up on "new school hip hop classics" as an existence of SINGLES, but instead I look at ALBUMS... The singles that are classic enough to change the game or the way we see things, lik Eric B and Rakim's "paid in full" or NWA's "EFIL4ZAGGIN" do NOT exist anymore. Instead, we get SONGS, (singular) that change the way people do shit. Unfortunately, these songs won't mean shit 6 months from now.

When I think "New School Classics" I think of albums, and I am IMMEDIATELY struck with the Last 4 out of the 5 of the Roots' studio albums: "Do You Want More?!!?," "lladelph Halflife,"Things Fall Apart,"and "Phrenology" I also think of Common's albums "Ressurrection" and "One Day It'll All Make Sense" OC's "Word Life" and Wu Tang's first album, "Enter the Wu Tang..." but being that 5 out of those 7 albums fall before 2000, let's think about what albums that have come out in the now last 4 years that we won't forget. There's Jay-Z's "the Blueprint" Nas' "Stillmatic" and a couple others that we just can't think of after those 2 leave our consciousness... Now think about what you SHOULD have noticed. Jay-Z's "The Black Album" is STELLAR work, T.I.'s "Trap Muzik" is lyricism without having to dumb down for a slightly slower south. I don't see the new Outkast album(s) as classic, it is not as good as ANY of the previous in my opinion.

I harken back to other pre-2000 albums I STILL can't live without;
"Mos Def and Talib Kweli are: Blackstar"
Mos Def - "Black on Both Sides"
Talib Kweli and Hi Tek: Reflection eternal: The Train of Thought
Talib Kweli - Quality
AZ - Aziatic

Now for what will be big in the near future... Steeles will disagree with me because he has been fucking off for 5 weeks now on coming to get a copy from me. Kanye West's album is FIRE. He is a GREAT beatmaker and producer. Now I want you to think of EVERY producer that has decided to don the mic and attempt to rhyme. Now PROVE to me that Kanye is not the best producer to pick up the mic as well.

You guys have started a subject I can go on til I pass out on, but I will let it free for the time, but refuse to believe that I might be done with it.

Steeles
01-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Mike and me we in the same boat. I'm 27 years old and my first taste of hip hop/rap was sugar hill gang juice crew (real roxanne) salt and peppa Kool moe dee LL cool j (radio was that fire) craig G marly marl grandmaster flash Run DMC beastie boys Ghetto boys DITC EPMD (crossover is STILL one of my favorite jams) Redman's Whut the album Dre's the Cronic. C lyte queen latifa before she got on TV. I was reading everyones replies and couldnt belive no one had mentioned Rakim. leave it to phlip to do so. And no ones mentioned Public Enemy, It takes a nation of Millions, apocolypse 91, fear of a black planet, all classics.

Mike I do agree flip flop rap is the best shit on both disks. definatly being slept on.

While it hasnt changed the game in any way I definatly feel that overall Killer Mikes album Monster is one of the BEST total CDs that came out in a long ass time.

Joe Buddens album was great too, I think his sophmore album will be unbelievable though.

Phlip - yeah yeah I know I need to grab the Kanye, I never said he wasnt a great producer, just that so far overall I dont like his flow.

psychedelicbeats
01-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Beatnuts - Off The Books
Beatnuts - Watch Out Now
Big Pun, Fat Joe - Still Not A Player
Bone Thugs N Harmony
C-Murder - Tru Homies (THIS IS REALLY THE SHIT)
DJ Quik (maybe? i.e. Down Down Down)
Gang Starr - Skills
Jay-Z - Guess Who's Back (ft Beanie Siegel)
Jay-Z - Song Cry
Joe - I Want A Girl Like You (ft Jadakiss)
Krayzie Bone - The War Iz On (ft Kurupt, Layzie Bone, Snoop Dogg)
Kurupt - Gangsta Boogie
Kurupt - Ride With Us (ft Tupac & Daz)(Remix)
Lighter Shade Of Brown - Sunny Day (THIS IS REALLY THE SHIT)
Lil Troy - Wanna Be A Baller****
Mos Def - B-Boy Document (ft High and Mighty & Mad Skillz)
Nas - Doo Rags****
Nas - One Mic ****
Nicole - Make It Hot (ft Missy Elliot)****
Outkast - Miss Jackson
Outkast - Rosa Parks
Outkast - The Whole World
Trick Daddy - Dro in Da Wind****

TUPAC

obviously this cannot be a sufficiently GOOD list of songs, but it's just something i've got off of my head. i'm pretty sure there are LOTS MORE. yeah, some are still pretty "new", but you can't really hate on those songs. just trying to help out by the way.

camppain
01-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Ohh man How many of you still make no mention of Ras Kass!

Ohh and don't forget Dead Prez! Now you wanna talk about music like Eric B and Rakim there Phlip?

Steeles
01-05-2004, 07:54 AM
mmm last thing I heard from Rass Kass was that 4 horsmen joints he did with masta killa kurupt and cannibus. good stuff. cannibus has some lyrics. Im just waiting on him to find a producer.

psychedelicbeats - B boy document (and the remix BBoy documents 99) where High and mighty feat mos def and mad skillz :)

hell no ones touched on B.I.G. yet eiher... and I dont mean that puffy killed life after death stuff I mean the original ready to die stuff. joints like juicy unbelievable and warning.

then theres boot camp clik, Black Moon, smif N wesson. Who got da props? bucktown, how many MCs must get dissed... ish like that

Takumi
01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Steeles
mmm last thing I heard from Rass Kass was that 4 horsmen joints he did with masta killa kurupt and cannibus. good stuff. cannibus has some lyrics. Im just waiting on him to find a producer.

Stoupe: The Enemy of Mankind from Jedi Mind Tricks did the production for "Rip The Jacker" album that came out July of last year. "Liberal Arts" off "Mic Club" has Jedi Mind Tricks in it, that track was hot.

hell no ones touched on B.I.G. yet eiher... and I dont mean that puffy killed life after death stuff I mean the original ready to die stuff. joints like juicy unbelievable and warning.

I just listed "Unbelievable" earlier. Add "Ten Crack Commandents" to that.

camppain
01-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Rassy kassy is in jail and priority doesnt want to release him from his contract and won't release any albums so he took the mater tape to van gogh which was supposed to drop in like 2000 or 2001 i cant remember.

He's got a bunch of indie albums out I got one but can't remember the name.

old_s13
01-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Allow me to continue where I left off:

H... that means Heavy D. Personally, I love his old school stuff but hey, you gotta be careful -- heavy d *IS* old-school.. hehe thats more of my brother's type of music, I'm too young for that.

I like Ice Cube's older stuff, from Bonnie and Clyde
- Bop Gun, Check Yo Self, It was a good Day (both versions), What can I do (both versions), You Know How We Do It

Ice cube newer more aggressive stuff like West Side Connection is OH-KAY, but not really worth mentioning.. he's just makin it for the money. You can tell there was more heart in it before. Now, I like his movies like Fridays and Barber Shop -- he's amazingly making some very funny movies.. I like his work.

People will talk shit to me for liking Ja Rule, but I like a FEW of his songs. I dont consider that rap though, I can easily file this crap in my ROCK AND POP directory and no one would know. But I think there is a slight bit of talent somewhere in a few of his songs.

Jay-Z impressed me when I first heard his stuff, I've liked tracks like: A Million and One Questions, Brooklyn's Finest, and amazing tracks like "Cant Knock the Hustle" -- thats all great stuff. His NEW music is also good, but its so mainstream that I'll probably wait a year easily before I start getting into it. I simply cannot listen to music that EVERYONE is playing. I just recently got some 50 cent tracks, but ONLY 3 songs. :) I really like Jay-Z's "From Marcy to Hollywood", Heart of the City, Hey Papi.. I mean anything with Timbaland makes it even MORE awesome.

Jeru the Damaja is good, I should get more of his music.

I am just starting to get my feet wet with J5, but I think I'm too late.. seems they are losing popularity for being mainstream underground hehe :) When I get more time, I'll find more of their work. I do like that song A Day at the Races w/ Big Daddy Kane and J5. I also like "THin Line" with Nelly Furtado and "If you only knew." "Remember His Name" is also very hot.

Old-school Mike makes me like Kid Frost, I grew up with songs like "La Raza" being played night and day out here.. damn this was popular with all the messican gangsters out here in LA.

When I was 10, Kool Moe Dee was my favorite.. its a shame LL had to give him a kick in the ass as he was LEAVING the rap game.. but that made LL who he is today. Besides, back then wars were cool.. now its kinda wack to talk shit about other artists unless they deserve it.

Kris Kross used to rock Junior High like you wouldnt believe.. I still got love for that old shit.

KRS-One, dont sleep on "Mad Izm" with Channel Live. I definately need more of his work though, but check out "Philosophy" "Underground" "Step into a world of Raptures" and "Sound of da Police" -- anyone got any good KRS-One suggestions?

LBC Crew - Beware of my Crew -- ah thats so old school and gangster!!!

Lil Kim was interesting when she first came out, now she's too whore-ish and only strippers listen to her music. I still have "Drugs" "Big Momma Thing" and a few others.

I have TOOOOOO much LL cool J to mention, anyone who doesnt have his stuff just spend your time going through ALL of his stuff. A really good compilation of artists with LL is "4,3,2,1" fucking HOTTTT! I mean even his new stuff like "Love You Better" is still HOTTT!!! Lets not even talk about "I need love" -- but we cant mention that song, you cant have "sex" to it. :)

I have some cool songs by Mr Cheeks of Lost Boyz called "Mama Say" w/ Stephen Marley. I also have a song called Renee by Lost Boyz -- good tracks.

I have some songs by the Lox.. "Recognize" w/ Premier. I dont really like the Lox that much but respect them for making good remakes like "Lets Start Love Over" which is a very good remake of the original R&B song (which I also have). "Ride or Die Chick" is hot.

Luniz - The Wire, Crush On You, I got Five on It, and Playa Hata are awesome

Anyone want REALLY good tracks, check out MADLIB -- I got a SHITLOAD of his work, amazing. Dont forget Masta Ace - Born to Roll, Ovservations, and Sittin on Chrome, or the INC Ride!

I got love for Mausberg (RIP), check out "The Rebirth" its a rare but really good track.

MC Breed? There aint no future in yo fronting w/ Roger and Zapp!!!! Gotta Get Mine w/ Tupac!!!

Mista Grimm - Situation Grimm, Indo Smoke -- both classic tracks

Mobb Deep - Its Mine w/ NAS is an awesome scarface sample, Nothing Like Home is amazing, Shook Ones pt2, and Up North Trip.

Mos Def - MATHEMATICS, Do it now, Hip Hop, May December, Miss Fat Booty, Umi Says.. and for RB Baby.. download "Speed Law" it's some good advice for young drivers like you. :)

okay.. i gotta take a shit.. I'll continue at "N" next time I post.

theronin> then you need to learn to do 2 things A) dance and B) fuck. my lady looked over old s13's lists and said alot of that shit is very very fuckable. she says Eazy E and Too Short get her wet.

Tell your chick I called her RIDE OR DIE. hehe does she have any friends that live out here in LA? haha :)

Steeles
01-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Mike you JUST got into KRS?!?!?! ahh man thats like 15 years of great stuff you gotta catch up on.. check out "the bridge is over" "criminal minded" "Ovah Here" "C.I.A." (with zach de la roch from Rage against the machine) "you must learn" "I cant wake up" (THE biggest name check ever) "MCs act like they dont know" "represent the real hip hop" feat. Das EFX dont forget th step into the world remix, "false pride" and dont foget his verse on Sway and Tech's "The Anthem" (all in all a great collection of MC's including Chino XL and Rza Pharohe Monch Xzibhit and Emenim)

Lost boyz first tape was great, Lifestyles of the rich and Shameless, jeeps lex coupes beemerz and benz

Holla Holla was the only Ja rule song I ever liked. he's a guest star rapper at best. his whole album shoulda been various artist feat. him. (for a laugh find Cutmaster C's mixtape feat. 50 the skits for ja rule duets are hilarious!!! )

Ice Cube - The Predator album and the spin off Lynch mobb album guerillas in the midst still my favorite cube works. death certificate and amerikkkas most wanted were good too.

M.O.P feat. Jay Z - 4 alarm blaze. set over eye of the tiger I believe (one of those songs from rocky) absolutely kills it. Ante up and how about some hardcore. Warriorz and Home Sweet Home, cold as ice, and the You dont know remix on the blueprint 2 album

lox... Jadakisses solo joint was crazy nice. put ya hands up, knock ya self out, Nasty girl, and are we fucking tonight.
Styles P's was good but the only gem to me really was Good times and soul clap

oooh and check them out in the D Block freestyles on DJ Envy's CD and find Fantastic four pt. 2 off Clue's old tape...

(anyone else agree that Clue should NOT be on TV?!?!! him or lala. they look like cardboard cutouts up there. and PLEASE get AJ and Free off the air!!!!!!)

Got Sileighty?
01-05-2004, 01:41 PM
hmmmm i cant believe no one has mentioned Big L. everyone go on kazaa or whatever program you use, search for BIG L and "freestyle". "7 minute freestyle" is :bowdown: and theres one freestyle with jayz on it (i think it maybe 7min freestyle actually), and let me tell you, L just kills jigga if you compare their lyrics in it. too bad he dies before he got recognized. R.I.P. Big L

anyway, here are some of the "classics" i can think of at this moment:

"one more chance" -biggie
"big poppa" -biggie
"who shot ya" -biggie
"warning" -biggie
"ten crack commandments" -biggie
"going back to cali" -biggie
"f*****g you tonight" -biggie, r. kelly
"sky is the limit" -biggie
"its all about the benjamins" -puffy, lox, lil kim, biggie
"24 hours to live" -mase, lox, dmx, puffy
"MVP" -big L
"da graveyard" -big L, jayz
"fu-gee la" -fugees
"ready or not" -fugees
"the message" -nas
"if i ruled the world" -nas
"i gave you power" -nas
"favor for a favor" -nas, scarface
"rewind" -nas

theres a whole lot more, but i gotta go back to work now.
:( :(

Takumi
01-05-2004, 05:13 PM
lox... Jadakisses solo joint was crazy nice. put ya hands up, knock ya self out, Nasty girl, and are we fucking tonight.
Styles P's was good but the only gem to me really was Good times and soul clap

The first time I heard the Lox was on "We'll Always Love Big Poppa". Jadakiss' "We Gon Make It" was fucking hot. Speaking of which, the beat that Alchemist hooked up for that single was intended for Rass Kass to use it. 'kiss got to it first and that set off a feud between Rass Kass against Jadakiss and Alchemist. That beat was ill, I'd be pissed too if my producer let some other cat use it. Styles P, the one song I really liked was "My Life" with Pharoahe Monch on Soundbombing III (although the album itself was a let down compared to II). Styles' "Good Times" was pretty dope, heard the remix with Method Man and Redman? It was sick.

Redman came off like...
I just came to get high with Styles
Like my, block D with wider vowels
I'm talking about A, E, I, O, U, my skills already have niggas 'pressed
Fuck an interview

How's Sheek's album? He's the Lox member that everyone forgets about.

Steeles
01-05-2004, 05:51 PM
i havent heard Sheeks lbum personally. Redman flows anywhere you put him. I dont think I ever caught that remix.

I was just listening to 7L and Esoterics Soul purpose. check that one out. he's got Inspecta deck on one joint and Lif on another. their other album is tight too. look for the tracks "word association" "my Rhyme" ackkk many others good stuff.

i spit in your face an show you how a clitoris tastes

Non Phixions lbums pretty good too.

wherezmytofu
01-05-2004, 06:08 PM
new rap = crap, except for slim shaddy

kazuo
01-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Takumi: Finally, somebody who knows wassup.. mad props. :) oh and I DID mention GANG STARR... look at my post :P

Gang Starr is the shit

old_s13: Maybe you missed my quote from the RZA. R&B = Rap & Bullshit, aka most of the shit they play on MTV, BET, and the radio nowadays. aka not hiphop

Thanks

s14falcon
01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Damn i shoulda jumped into this thread way earlier, most of what i wann asay has already been said. Thank you got sileighty for sayin big l. I first heard him a little while ago, and i was amazed, its really a shame that he got shot, but honestly listen to his song dangerzone and tell me if his death was really a surprise. Soooo gangsta he can rap about killing nuns. But a lot of the older stuff is good with the entire album, not just songs. Thats like asking me to pick a couple songs off Illmatic, you can't do it because the entire album is such amazingness, you can never decide which songs to take. Nowadays, rappers dont seem to be that strong tht they can make an entire album of goodness, just a couple hot songs and the rest are meh, and then of course theres the scores of rappers who make me wanna puncture my eardrums when they come on. I'll post more new stuff when i have time, but i dont right now.
And rbbaby, your attitude is funny, you always have to be right, never can you be wrong. just chill, its all opinions anyway.
Seriously though, you just dont like what youre not used to, i bet if i listened to del 2 years ago i would abeen like wtf is this shit, but i dunno, i guess i kind agrew out of all the pop radio shit becaus it sucked, and slowly i made my way into the somewhat alternate rap. Try somethng a little more listener freiendly to start though, lota the older stuff from teh late 80's is nice and fun to listen to, epmd, big daddy kane, slick rick, eric b and rakim, etc, then work your way up from there. or do nothing i dont give a fuckl.

Got Sileighty?
01-05-2004, 09:55 PM
no prob, i just heard big L a few months ago too, and it just blew me away. one of the top lyricists ever imho.

takumi, im gonna look for that good times remix as soon as im done with this post, thanks.

btw, i like r&b, whichever way you define it. as long as its good music, does it really matter how you label it? :p

anyway here's some more off my list, but it's not really in any kind of order:

"1st of tha month" -bone thugs
"crossroads" -bone thugs
"still d.r.e." - dre and snoop
"nuthin but a 'g' thang" - dre and snoop
"next episode" -dre and snoop
"dre day" -dre and snoop
"rosa parks" -outkast
"bad boyz" -shyne, barrington levy
"whoa" -black rob
"money,power, and respect" -lox
"victory" -puffy, biggie
"da mystery of chessboxin' " -wutang
"quiet storm" -mobb deep
"hey luv" -mobb deep, 112 (yup thats r&b according to some of u)
"keepin' it gangsta" -fabolous
"can't deny it" -fabolous
"hot boyz" -missy elliott, qtip, nas
"da rockwilder" -method man & redman
"you're all i need" -mary j. blige, method man (yup more r&b)
"hard knock life" -jayz
"money, cash, hoes" -jayz,dmx (remix is hot too)
"can i get a..." -jayz
"grindin" -clipse
"change the game" -jayz

ok thats all i can come up with right now...

camppain
01-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by camppain
I agree with Mikes list except for the missing underground rappers like Sage Francis (white Rapper) listen to Makeshift Patriot classic song.

Atmosphere
Kanye West
Jeru The Damaja
Afu Ra
Planet Asia
Ras Kass (one of the damn best LYRICISTS! PERIOD!) listen to nature of the threat and you'll agree
Hyroglyphics or however its spelled (yeah I'm lazy)
Juice (who beat Em in a battle)
The last Emperor
El P
Acrobatik
ICE T
KRS One
MOP
Freddie Fox aka Bumpy Kuckles
DITC
OC
BIG L
CAMPPAIN :p

Theres more but I can't think of them at the moment. But to include TLC as hip hop?:confused: And the black album is ok, his best were Reasonable Doubt and the Blueprint all others were subpar. And all the additions of any hot boy or whatever crap can never ever ever be considered HIP HOP.
NELLY AND anyone from his crew is wack........W3RD

I already hit on Big L ;)

One thing we can not forget was the impact Kid n Play had with thier movies! House Party was the shiiiiit, I just bought the first one at wal-mart for 7.50.

As for women in Hip Hop I think Eve Jane doe and Jean Grae take the cake..... What happened to Lady Luck? She was nice on the EPMD joint?:confused:

Phlip
01-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Someone mentioned the feud between Jadakiss, Alchemist and Rass Kass over that one beat... Has anyone noticed that the alchemist does that shit ALL the time. See Dilated Peoples' son "Worse come to worse," then check Ludacris' "Growing Pains," then on some R&B shit, look to Jaheim's "forgot to be your lover," IT'S THE SAME FUCKING BEAT... I think that Rass Kass and Jadakiss should stomp a shithole in Alchemist when Rass Kass gets outta Jail...

... Back to the topic at hand:
Someone mentioned Madlib, check the new album with him and Jay Dee from slum village, they are together under the name "Jaylib" and the album just found stores a couple weeks ago.
I mentioned Dilated Peoples, they have a couple of HOT albums themselves.
I have all of the Beatnuts' albums, and on the scope of the entire albums, they haven't done me wrong yet.
Pharohe Monche hasn't been mentioned yet.
Who remembers Da Bush Babees? Their second album had mos def all over it and a song with Q-Tip as well, before HE started to make fecal matter and call it an album.
dead prez is another of those groups that makes a lot of music and no one notices, but should.
No one has mentione Thirstin Howll III.
No one has mentioned Capone N Noreaga's first album.
Who remembers Company Flow's first album, "Funcrusher Plus," too bad they broke up and never got the recognition they deserved.
All 3 soundbombing albums have been STELLAR, and I have no reason to believe thast the 4th installment won't be as well.
Both Lyricist Lounge CDs have been great.

... I have plenty more and a rack of CDs in the room that could keep me at this for months. In my own opinion, I could give less than a mad assfuck about a single or a classic SONG , talk to me about a classic album. I don't listen to the radio because I HATE the bullshit they put on it and hate that they repeat it every 10 minutes in a ugly cycle. I gives not a damn what your single did for you to get yourself on the radio or how many units it pushed your album to sell, impress ME with that album. Got hundreds in the collection, some I bought on name recognition and haven't bothered opening because the albums were SHIT (see Wu Tang's "The W" and various others) I got some that I would have never thought to buy and bought because someone I knew had it and I actually wound up liking. (See T.I.'s "I'm Serious," dude is one out of maybe 10 realy lyricists out of the south, the new album more than proves that) At the end of the day, "classic" is a matter of subjective opinion and some of the stuff you see as classic may be pure shit in MY subjective opinion, and that won't make either of us wrong...

Steeles
01-06-2004, 10:00 AM
phlip - Monch has been mentioned a couple of times.

And i must retract a previous statement made about Kanye west. I fianlly picked up his album from Phlip last night on my way home. the album is hot great stuff.

god I feel old hearing some of you just finding out about big L. I still need to go back and buy the first album on CD since I dont have a tape deck anywhere anymore

How come, you can listen to my first album and tell where a lot of niggaz got they whole style from?

but find pt 2 to that freestyle. great stuff.

I still like Chino XL for raw insultry. that boy spits about ANYBODY

These rappers don't want it with big Chino XL
I'll kick em in there necks and watch their bruised jaw swell
But all hail the last verbal murderer left, I'm certain death
Refer to me as less, but do it under their breath
Cause I be hearin the theft in they rhymes that they said
But when I see em they bowin down like they bout to give me head
I'm upset, yo lets get it on,
Birds fly upside down over ya head, cause you ain't worth shittin on
Hard you on the radio, what would I change
The station when its on, I call the DJ and complain
Its a shame, your recording all wrong
You made a 3 minute song, thats 3 minutes too long
Got flex droppin a bomb for the king of metaphors
Remember they ain't stop makin guns after they made yours
Y'all shittin in y'alls drawers, wonderin if I'ma diss 'em listen
My rhymes tight when I piss it be whistlin
Your decision that testin my expertism in combat,
I'll expose that your not real like the "Blair Witch Project"
As far as that album you dropped, I ain't feelin it
I wouldn't buy your record if it had a hundred dollar bill in it...
I'm killin it

he was on Sway and tech's album this and that on the tracks "the Anthem" and "three to the Dome"

along with someone else I dont thinks been mentioned.... Kool G Rap another great rhymer

Takumi
01-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by PHLIP
Someone mentioned the feud between Jadakiss, Alchemist and Rass Kass over that one beat... Has anyone noticed that the alchemist does that shit ALL the time. See Dilated Peoples' son "Worse come to worse," then check Ludacris' "Growing Pains," then on some R&B shit, look to Jaheim's "forgot to be your lover," IT'S THE SAME FUCKING BEAT... I think that Rass Kass and Jadakiss should stomp a shithole in Alchemist when Rass Kass gets outta Jail...

The thing is, those aren't exactly the same beats. It's just that some people are just too uncreative with the sample that it sounds like the same exact beat. The melody's all the same, but no one played much with different drums or adding to the melodies.

Alchemist now does beats for any rapper out of Queensbridge nowadays. LOL. Nas, Mobb Deep, Twin Gambino, etc. I'm not sure if he worked with Cormega yet. Speaking of which, Cormega's ill. "Keep It Thorough" for Prodigy, "The Learning" for Mobb Deep, and "Big Twins" by Twin Gambino, were hot beats. I think Alchemist is working closely with Mobb Deep right now and I "think" I heard they started a label together. Great hip-hop producer, DJ Premiere was his mentor.

No one has mentione Thirstin Howll III.

Okay, okay, I'll list some songs.

"Livin' With My Moms"
"Polo Rican"
and that track off "E-Dub's Mix Tape"
Also, my personal favorite, "Stole", which was a funny remake of "Whoa" by Black Rob.

No one has mentioned Capone N Noreaga's first album.

Man, I remembered hearing about CNN in the mid 90's. I never got to check out the album though. I didn't even hear Nore(aga) until "Superthug", which had one of the best Neptunes beats of all time. However, the stuff off that "God's Favorite" album really sucked. Although I thought "Grimey" was the only song that I liked.

On a side note, Lyricist's Lounge was brought up. Man, I used to love watching that show on MTV, I thought it was the greatest cuz it had Talib Kweli and Mos Def in it from time to time. It was a nice twist to sketch comedies by having everyone rhyming. Stupid MTV for canceling it.

camppain
01-06-2004, 11:49 AM
CNN's album was good, but too bad you could always guess Noreaga's next word he was rhyming. It seems his rhyming vocab consists of what, f*ck, but......... etc etc.

Hey since we are talking about Albums for being what it was, the Belly soundtrack was HOT. Even Nore's track and DMX's. I liked the beats mainly.

I heard Jaylibs stuff Phlip, Its nice. At times there is just alot to mention.

I can believe alot of you don't mention Atmosphere, Sage Francis (AOI, Non Prophets) Akrobatik, Afu Ra, Bumpy Knuckles, Juice, I did mention EL P (but not Comp flow) Jeez there's so much I can't even remember. I need to start listening to music again.

*edit*As far as that Beat that alchemist did, that everyone has used..... Killah Preist was the first one I ever heard use it on a song.

Steeles
01-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Takumi - How can you list Thirsten Howl the III songs and the Lyricists lounge MTV show and NOT throw in the Masta Fool joint "spit boxer" ?!?!?! heck I'll listen to that one jsut to hear the names they come up with. Spitler, mark Spitz, hock2dee2, george mucas, Steve Austin the Spitz million dollar man!

Phlip
01-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Takumi
The thing is, those aren't exactly the same beats. It's just that some people are just too uncreative with the sample that it sounds like the same exact beat. The melody's all the same, but no one played much with different drums or adding to the melodies.

Thing is, drop by my house and I will show you the liner notes on the album(s), Alchemist is guilty and enough about those beats are similar to be EASILY noticed...

Phlip
01-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Takumi - How can you list Thirsten Howl the III songs and the Lyricists lounge MTV show and NOT throw in the Masta Fool joint "spit boxer" ?!?!?! heck I'll listen to that one jsut to hear the names they come up with. Spitler, mark Spitz, hock2dee2, george mucas, Steve Austin the Spitz million dollar man!
Fuck that dude, talking about singles and seriously HOT Rhymes, check the High and Mighty's "open mic night" where Thirstin MURDERS a freestyle verse and Wordsworth is invited to the party with some killer one-liners of his own. Again, that was on an album that was damn near universally slept on, I believe you got that album from me. "Home Team Advantage" is the album and it is the last song on it.

Phlip
01-07-2004, 08:20 AM
And for something I haven't done yet, which is waste a lot of time on SINGLES, if you are looking for some FUNNY shit, check out the Thirstin Howll III song "Dreams of fuckin a cartoon bitch," another murderously funny song from that dude. He is one of the most witty people rhyming right now that, however unfortunately, people may not have heard about.

Steeles
01-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Fuck that dude, talking about singles and seriously HOT Rhymes, check the High and Mighty's "open mic night" where Thirstin MURDERS a freestyle verse and Wordsworth is invited to the party with some killer one-liners of his own. Again, that was on an album that was damn near universally slept on, I believe you got that album from me. "Home Team Advantage" is the album and it is the last song on it.

yeah that is a good one. I think I have all the High and Mighty albums. yes I think all but one are from you.

you know what. now that I think about it (and a coworker just asked me about...) Missy Elliots 'Under COnstruction' was a DAMN good album. more of a party hip hop feel too it but a damn good album. the old school song on there with Jaz Z takes you back the tribute to AAliyah is kinda sappy but good. I really like that album. and the more weight missy drops the better she's lookin :)

Phlip
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM

you know what. now that I think about it (and a coworker just asked me about...) Missy Elliots 'Under COnstruction' was a DAMN good album. more of a party hip hop feel too it but a damn good album. the old school song on there with Jaz Z takes you back the tribute to AAliyah is kinda sappy but good. I really like that album. and the more weight missy drops the better she's lookin :)
I heard that the Missay album is decent if you are into that sort of thing, but you know more than onyone on here that I am not... I almost thought of getting it for free from this cat at work, but haven't acted on the whim yet. As far as the looks, I think that she is getting better after having lost the weight, if you look at her from the neck down or knock down a 12 of Yuengling first, she is still not an attractive young lady in my opinion...

Steeles
01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
or knock down a 12 of Yuengling first, she is still not an attractive young lady in my opinion...

a 12 of that devil piss will make YOU look good... :hammer:

and while I know your not into that type music I put it out for those that were this thread aint all about you

Phlip
01-07-2004, 02:40 PM
a 12 of that devil piss will make YOU look good... :hammer:

and while I know your not into that type music I put it out for those that were this thread aint all about you
A 12 of dasani will make me look good... Missy, on the other hand, may need about a pint of southern comfort after that 12 to make sure you don't snap out of it before you are back in the mind state to come up with an escape plan in the morning.

Steeles
01-07-2004, 03:05 PM
A 12 of dasani will make me look good....

only to yo mama and she dont count here

RoNiN240sx
01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
KRS-ONE is definitely the shiet.

i just got into Blackalicious a few months ago, crazy shiet there.

i just saw that Atmosphere video on MTV2, yah i know, but it was late i was bored, etc. anyways that single was pretty good "trying to find a balance" anyone have any other suggestions.

just heard some Juice stuff too, open to song suggestions w/that guy.

and yes, Kanye West's shiet is hot

RBBaby
01-07-2004, 05:48 PM
what about rah digga? :bowdown: to "imperial"

camppain
01-10-2004, 11:13 PM
How come I heard nothing of Tribes new reunion? I just heard a song with q tip then heard phife on it too! WTF?! I'm out of the loop!

I started crying when I found out though. So much better than Vivrant thang

Salty_X
01-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Thank god somebody mentioned The L.O.X. or I would be on your cases... Some of my favorites are Felony Niggas, If You Know, Ryde or Die Bitch, and Wild Out. There's a couple others too from random cds that I can't remember.

I don't really follow a lot of new rap and hiphop, I'm kind of stuck in the pre-2000s I guess.:( I like stuff like N.W.A., older Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, E40, Cali Agents, some Brotha Lynch just because it's so fucking wacky, and of course all the off-shoot albums from The L.O.X.. I like most of the Ruff Ryder artists too, except for that Jin guy, I like his freestyles but I downloaded one of his songs before and thought it was crap. Oh well.
I've heard some stuff from a lot of the artists mentioned here and like most of them, but rap or hip hop isn't my usual listening music, so I stay stuck where I'm at...

Right now I'm listening to N.W.A. - A Bitch Is a Bitch. :p

Phlip
01-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by camppain
How come I heard nothing of Tribes new reunion? I just heard a song with q tip then heard phife on it too! WTF?! I'm out of the loop!

I started crying when I found out though. So much better than Vivrant thang

I stand on 2 sides of the Tribe Called Quest fence... On one side, I remember albums like "Peoples' instinctive travels of..." (you know the rest, long ass album title), "The Low End Theory" and "Midnight Marauders." Move foreward from those albums, "Beats, Rhymes and Life" was NOT a good album and "The Love Movement" was only partially bearable as a result of the bevy of guest appearances. I saw a greatest hits album in target and in best buy over the last couple of weeks, and there were a COUPLE of unreleased songs on it, but I have the albums with the songs that I would want to hear and could realistically make my own "best of" album... As far as how mad Phife got at Ali and Q-Tip, even making it hsi only agenda on theat bullshit album he put out, Q-Tip enjoying mainstream success on an equally bullshit album and Ali Shaheed Muhammed making the only real good music out of the 3 (Lucy Pearl) I can't see how they will come together and make a good album and damn sure refuse to believe they have anymore classics left in them...