PDA

View Full Version : Mazworx

S14 James
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Mazworx = No, after doing a lot of business with them I was left with a destroyed motor.

Cliff Notes:
Bought a 90mm long block from Mazworx, Car had several issues with headgasket sealing so I took the car from TN to FL to have the car repaired and tuned. After getting the car returned to me it began leaking less then a week from getting it back, returned the motor and it was repaired again by Mazworx. After getting the car back together and checking the A/F the motor had some type of issue and dropped a valve destroying the motor on low boost.

Story:
Two Years ago I had Mark from Mazworx build me a 90mm bore SR20 Long block with all the fixings. I had a lot of issues with headgasket sealing when running the motor over 500rwhp. I discussed with mark and I bought the required parts to do a head gasket change out and check to make sure everything was in good health.
After getting everything back together in December of 2010 we put the car on the dyno and checked to make sure the tune was on and that the car didn't have any issues. It promptly ate a gasket on the dyno. At that point in speaking with Mark and reviewing the tune he had determined it was a tune issue and I agreed to bring the entire car to him to make it right from Nashville.
Mark completed the work and gave me a good price on making repairs to the vehicle and getting it tuned. After holding on to the car to ensure it was right we drove down to Orlando to trailer the car back up in April of this last year.
Two weeks after getting the car back the car started to show issues with the head gasket again. Mark explained that he had never had these kinds of issues with his 90mm motors and after taking some time to determine next steps he agreed to take the motor back after I removed it and re-work it again to go through it top to bottom. He also decided to add a step deck to ensure we would get enough clamp load. I sent the motor back at end of March.
I received the motor and finally got the car back together in August. We put it on the dyno and checked everything out and the car seemed to be finally correct. Doing a few pulls we saw 660rwhp at 31psi on my Hybrid Dynamics kit with a GT38586 HTA. I put the car up and patiently waited till next weekend. When I drove the car next I did a quick pull onto the freeway in 3rd and the motor promptly went dead at 7500 rpm.
We found that the motor completely killed it self with nothing left of cylinder #1. It killed the head and the block. I discussed with Mazworx and a local shop and it was determined that the supertech valve had dropped and killed the motor. Figuring that I had established myself as a good customer that Mark would work with me to build a new motor with out charging me full price for a whole new motor (10K!!! again). After being ignored for a while Mark decided he wasn't going to do anything for me.

I'm very disappointed in the outcome, I tired every venue to come to a good conclusion but it seems if you buy anything from Mazworx you better hope it was right cause if not you are hosed.
-James

crescendo
10-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Damn... I'm surprised that, one: a place with as big a reputation as Mazworx wouldn't work harder to remedy the issue and, two: no one has responded to this story. Sorry, James. Anything else happen between then and now?

d_nice
10-27-2012, 06:25 PM
what Mazworx..nah i cant image that bro

S14 James
10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
You can't imagine it but that is what happened. The funny part is the reason they got my business is they were supposed to be the best in the business, and I had decided that money was not as important as getting a good builder/tuner to work on the motor. I spent thousands of dollars with them to have a motor done right and it pretty much was flushed down the toliet as I think I only got to enjoy the car once or twice.
Based off the RPM I lost the motor at I don't think they had made the proper adjustment to the valve spring tension or they had used a part that was bad from supertech.

I can understand being a business you can't do things for free but when you have a customer that like myself never got what I paid for and just going well sorry for your luck if you want to order another long block we can do that for you at full price. That is not cool, I think someone who is going to do business with these guys should know what to expect.

-James

1slicktwo4oh
11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
With the money you spent you should of just bought a TOMEI nemesis motor or a GReddy built one....sorry to hear about your problems w/ them....I always thought they were overpriced for work that other do at reasonable rates..$350 to shim a head,$150 to deck$175 to hone..too much, but hey that was just my opinion...i keep it local...engine rebuild/machine shops can do all this for a lot less and to spec....

Side note..it may be a misunderstanding , egoes...whatever ...it sounds real for the amount of money the OP invested should be worth a little stirr up in the community to get some answers for this guy from MAZWORXS..

shiftdrift
11-08-2012, 04:09 PM
sound like something shady is going on, you would think for the amount you spent they would be willing to keep a customer.

JSimpson
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Mazworx is GREAT, Eric and Mark have helped me out a million times and I will continue to buy everything through them. What happens outside of their shop is out of their control. When my car left their possession (and was test drove all around Orlando looking for Supras) it was perfect. The tune will change when you go up north. Its pretty bold to blame Mazworx for a blown motor when it made over 650whp on a dyno before it blew up... I mean jesus that is 3x as potent as a ZR1 vette per liter... things happen to race engines

S14 James
02-16-2013, 07:24 AM
My issue is I made it clear I didn't want a race engine. I told them what it is for and what I drove the car for. Also we put it on the dyno up here in Nashville to confirm the change in local didn't do anything to the tune. A/F was good and made a healthy ~660rwhp. The car hadn't even seen a track either.

I don't think it is bold to blame them, I look at the track record with this motor, I sent them the car after it began to head gasket issues. Paid them the money for there services on the motor I had bought from them. Then after I get it back I find it was still leaking through the head gasket. I send the motor down and I get it back does a three good dyno pulls, then one drive to a car show and boom. The funny thing was I never got to feel the ~660rwhp even once.

Before this motor I built a basic 2.0 and got a whole year and a half out of it at 550rwhp. The funny thing is as I customer who has paid over $10K at a shop I expected some support, the fact they had been through the motor three times before should indicate issues, I don't think it is bold at all.
-James

jr_ss
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
They have a disclaimer right on their web page stating that they dont warranty any of thier motors because they cannot control the circumstances in which the motor is used. Any shop that would warranty a race engine would not be in business very long. The fact that Mark helped you out mulitple times is credit enough to his character and his willingness to work with people.

Any motor that can handle 3x the hp it comes with from the factory is a race motor, plain and simple. You are being quite bold in your statements that they aren't worth dealing with because of failures on race products, that carry no warranty once they are installed and run. When in fact Mark made several attempts to fix the issue at hand, which was resovled. You dropping a valve under a hard pull and destroying cylinder one is on you, not him.

Not wanting a "race" motor, but wanting to make 600+ hp is a retarded arguement.

S14 James
02-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Let think about the statement about a fresh motor dropping a valve.

What would cause this failure and how would it be on me?
I've discussed this with several people and there two reasons we can come up with. One is the motor wasn't assembled properly and two is the valve or spring was defective. Tell me how that is on me?

The other statement about me being retarded about my expectations on this motor is another, This was a 1000+ hp capable motor so I can't imagine it having a problem handling 600-700 for a while, I wasn't thinking this thing was going to be worry free but it never really ran for me but once on a dyno. I wasn't expecting some factory motor that would last over 100K miles either but I was expecting at least ten thousand miles on the street at least, I've seen lots of motor do that no problem.

Mark made ONE attempt to fix it so lets get that strait, the other attempts were on my dime paying more money to him and the shop to fix it what ever it takes. When his one attempt didn't work and this valve dropped right after I was left with a "well I guess you can drop another 10k on another motor". Not even an offer to try and work out a deal on anything just a well sorry your first motor dying on you with out ever really running.

-James

lewisfk
02-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Sorry to hear this bro! I had the same response when I called out a major shop on a diffrent forum. I commented on getting a bad engine from G- Dimensions back in 05. The engine had a bad rod, as soon as it craked up it was knocking. I actually paid extra for the wiring and another 400 bucks for a new engine. About 8 months later the oil pump went out on me.

Regardless, it takes money to play this game and you payed plenty! Go to school and learn how to build your own engine. I know how u feel about losing your hard earned money! I lost 4k, your probally out over 10k!

I hope you and Mazworx come to a mutual agreement!

mr_eh
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Let think about the statement about a fresh motor dropping a valve.

What would cause this failure and how would it be on me?
I've discussed this with several people and there two reasons we can come up with. One is the motor wasn't assembled properly and two is the valve or spring was defective. Tell me how that is on me?

The other statement about me being retarded about my expectations on this motor is another, This was a 1000+ hp capable motor so I can't imagine it having a problem handling 600-700 for a while, I wasn't thinking this thing was going to be worry free but it never really ran for me but once on a dyno. I wasn't expecting some factory motor that would last over 100K miles either but I was expecting at least ten thousand miles on the street at least, I've seen lots of motor do that no problem.

Mark made ONE attempt to fix it so lets get that strait, the other attempts were on my dime paying more money to him and the shop to fix it what ever it takes. When his one attempt didn't work and this valve dropped right after I was left with a "well I guess you can drop another 10k on another motor". Not even an offer to try and work out a deal on anything just a well sorry your first motor dying on you with out ever really running.

-James

having a 660whp sr20 and taking it to 7500rpm

ashtonroche
02-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Im with the other guys, if a company warrantied race motors they wouldnt be in business long. There is no telling what caused the valve to drop. Valve could have seized in the guide, bad spring, over rev that your not saying anything about, bad assembly, you just never know. If its a det it could have very well tossed or broken the rocker and then dropped the valve. Ive seen it happen in that order.

Mazworx is always willing to help out but again on something like a full out race motor and a fully built 90mm bore SR is considered just that, a race motor. Their earlier 90mm sleeve jobs had a couple issues sealing and thats why they went to the stepped deck block design about a year ago to eliminate that issue. But not all of their motors had issues. They helped you out and remedy'd the problem of the sealing issue and that responsible on their part.

Your not going to get very far with this conversation I can tell you that right now. It would not be smart business for a company like mazworx to warranty a motor like that.

shiftdrift
02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
They have a disclaimer right on their web page stating that they dont warranty any of thier motors because they cannot control the circumstances in which the motor is used. Any shop that would warranty a race engine would not be in business very long. The fact that Mark helped you out mulitple times is credit enough to his character and his willingness to work with people.

Any motor that can handle 3x the hp it comes with from the factory is a race motor, plain and simple. You are being quite bold in your statements that they aren't worth dealing with because of failures on race products, that carry no warranty once they are installed and run. When in fact Mark made several attempts to fix the issue at hand, which was resovled. You dropping a valve under a hard pull and destroying cylinder one is on you, not him.

Not wanting a "race" motor, but wanting to make 600+ hp is a retarded arguement.

actually a lot of shops warranty their motors. but, there should be no issues in that little of time if it was done correctly, obviously something wasn't.

JSimpson
03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
HAHAHA "I never got to feel 660rwhp" and "Its not a race motor" should not be in the same paragraph.

jr_ss is right, you are taking a DIRT CHEAP ~$15,000 4 banger with piss poor valvetrain and asking it to do incredible things reliably. It isn't going to happen period. 660rwhp SR20 IS a race engine whether it be in a stock interior S13 at a mcdonalds drive thru or on the grid of a JGTC race in an S15...

A "proper" 4 cylinder racing engine that does LESS than you are asking costs $40,000 and up. And even they fail from time to time, but looking inside of a $40,000 400hp USAC midget engine or a $45,000 250hp Toyota Atlantic 4AG engine is apples and oranges compared to a SR20.

It sucks yes but Mark did try to help you out. Next time try to invest in Mark or a really good tuner that he knows to come up north to you and tune it in the conditions it is going to be used in.