PDA

View Full Version : Wiring brake lights, harness is cut?

Almosttt
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Okay so I was getting ready to do all the wiring mods from this guide for my 5 speed swap to be completed and get rid of my CEL (on a 98' 240):

S14 5-speed Transmission Swap - Electrical Connections (http://www.ka24development.com/cwilfert/S14_tranny_swap_electrical.html)

Started on the reverse lights, found the third connector down:

http://i39.tinypic.com/10i59w6.jpg

Decided to follow it down so I could just cut the two wires I needed to cut closer to the reverse sensor and find this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/dow9wn.jpg

Wtf? What do all the other wires go to? I think I may have found out why I'm getting so many weird codes maybe?

Dorifto Machine
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
You should get a FSM, will help identify alot of wires.

Been doing alot of wire clean up on the s14 ( 95 ) and ran across tracking down each wire down.

The third clip down on fuse box is the Reverse Lamp Switch/ dasiy chained with :

Speed Sensor
Neutral Position Switch ect..

I think this might help :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/om1kron/My%20Cars/1996%20240sx%20Kouki/fusebox/s14lowerharness.jpg

Almosttt
12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks, sorry I meant to say reverse lights in the title but you knew what I meant lol. Are you sure it's chained with the speed sensor? I still have my speed sensor connected and working... maybe the part that is cut is coming from somewhere else... hmm.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Dorifto Machine
12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I had to do the same exact thing as you. Previous owner hacked up the wiring and swapped from auto to manual but never wired reverse lights.

If your objective is to get the reverse lights working they will not work unless that 3rd plug down on the fuse box is wired to the 1st plug on the transmission (reverse lamp switch)

Jack the car up and look under your transmission. You will see the switches In this order on your transmission ( from front to back)

Reverse Lamp Plug
Neutral switch
Speed Switch

As far as the cut wires. Did you trace those cut wires to see where they lead? Its hard to see because the picture is zoomed really close. Just see what switches are not connected on the transmission.

What CEL codes are you getting?

Almosttt
12-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I had to do the same exact thing as you. Previous owner hacked up the wiring and swapped from auto to manual but never wired reverse lights.

If your objective is to get the reverse lights working they will not working unless that 3rd plug down on the fuse box is wired to the 1st plug on the transmission (reverse lamp switch)

Jack the car up and look under your transmission. You will see the switches In this order on your transmission ( from front to back)

Reverse Lamp Plug
Neutral switch
Speed Switch

As far as the cut wires. Did you trace those cut wires to see where they lead? Its hard to see because the picture is zoomed really close. Just see what switches are not connected on the transmission.

What CEL codes are you getting?

I'm getting P0705, P0446, P0105, P0450, and P0325... So knock sensor, some evap system codes, Park/neutral position switch (I think it means reverse/5th)...

Kinda weird I think... replaced knock sensor and it came straight back on...

Almosttt
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Okay, so it turns out that ALL 4 of the connectors that go up to beside the fuse box are cut off at that point.... but that doesn't make sense because apparently speed sensor is connected to that and my speed sensor works fine..

I'm confused....

justinbyrant
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay, so it turns out that ALL 4 of the connectors that go up to beside the fuse box are cut off at that point.... but that doesn't make sense because apparently speed sensor is connected to that and my speed sensor works fine..

I'm confused....

sorry to butt in here but it sounds to me like someone might have had a wiring problem and cut those wires and ran their own somewhere else, i have seen that alot in the s13s i have owned, some people think they are auto electricians when they clearly arent.

i dont know where that cut is at (never owned an s14) but if its under the car something may have cut them or broke a plug or something from bottoming out or something and someone may have done what i said, look for non original wires, i have seen everything from house wiring to speaker wire used in these cars to run random things