PDA

View Full Version : what kind of post highschool education would lead me to investing?

RBBaby
12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
so Im getting really serious with my future now, and one of the things Im considering doing is going into investing, like the kind of stuff they do at prudential, vanguard, and merrill lynch. I really dont know what kind of post highschool education I'd need to get into something like that though. a friend of mines dad works at ML, but I havent had an opportunity to talk to him yet. anyone know about this type of stuff? Im also considering real estate and stuff like that....

sykikchimp
12-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Economics with a specialization in Finance.

Go to UPENN, and get your masters from the Wharton School of Business. You will make more money than god. Of course, you'll also work longer hours, and have more problems to deal with. :eek: :D

I know this b/c I looked into an investment career. Half is education, the other half (as with all things in life) is WHO YOU KNOW. Never underestimate the power of contacts.

RBBaby
12-30-2003, 12:23 PM
is upenn like one of the best schools around for this type of thing?

SINxSELEKTAH
12-30-2003, 12:31 PM
i always thought accounting majors took care of that business....damn was i wrong :bash:
-jaysin

sykikchimp
12-30-2003, 01:11 PM
well, specifically the Wharton school of business is THE #1 school for Business/econ in the country. Get a degree at Wharton, and gauranteed 6 figures.
Upenn is Ivy League though.. so it's expensive..

RBBaby
12-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp
well, specifically the Wharton school of business is THE #1 school for Business/econ in the country. Get a degree at Wharton, and gauranteed 6 figures.
Upenn is Ivy League though.. so it's expensive..

define expensive....

sykikchimp
12-30-2003, 02:11 PM
from upenn.edu

Undergraduate Admission and Fees
$29,318 (Academic Year 2003)

Room and Board Fees
$8,642 (Academic Year 2003)

wharton MBA Fees:
Educational Budget - Academic Year 2003-2004
Tuition and Fees $37,323
Room and Board $14,200
Books and Supplies $5,900
Subtotal $59,423
Pre-Term Estimate
Fess, Room and Board, Books, and Supplies $2,478
TOTAL $61,901

aznpoopy
12-30-2003, 02:16 PM
your college degree doesn't matter as much to your career as you think. i graduated in may just a few months ago with a computer science degree from Rutgers out in NJ and now i'm working with corporate finance in lower manhattan (drawing from a minor in economics - i think). anyway to work in business you have many options for major/minor combinations. you could do accounting, finance, business, economics; etc. for instance one popular combination i'm meeting alot is a economics + psychology double major, as business is 50% people 50% money. so understanding corporate culture and the global economy coupled with a fundamental understanding of how people think is viewed as a positive thing in the business world.

however, my BEST advice to you is to get a INTERNSHIP in the field you want to work in. meet some people and get an idea of where they came from and how they got where there were. don't wait till junior year. start freshmen year and by sophmore year you will (with luck) know where to go in terms of curriculum and career development.

there are two roads to success as far as i can see when it comes to academics. you can be really damn good and go to the #1 schools with your awesome grades and everything and get great internships and get sign on bonuses blah blah blah. or you can just get out there and get a degree from a decent school and get working, start learning, so you know where you want to go earlier. believe it or not, most business people don't know where they want to go even at 24. that's why MBA schools don't like having people younger then mid to late 20s in the curriculum... ;)

btw don't worry about this too much. out of all my friends, i only know one person who is doing now what they set out to do when they were eighteen (we're all 23-ish now). and that person had god gifted talent in art (she's an animator now). so if you're looking at investment now, chances are you're not going to be doing investment. life takes you down very strange roads.

sykikchimp
12-30-2003, 02:21 PM
btw- I agree with what he says completely. It's not necessarily what degree you have. At first, it's not even that you HAVE a degree. When it matters is about 5 years down the road once you've gotten your feet wet, and the experience built up. THEN, when you start looking for the higher paying jobs, companies look at your educational history, and look for that degree. Most the time they don't even care what the degree is.. just that you had the discipline to complete a 4 year curriculum.

My advice.. While in college, DO WHAT YOUR INTERESTED IN. Then when you graduate, do what you can..

remember.. Experience is King

ca18guy
12-30-2003, 02:54 PM
To get into real estate you'll need a realitors license (duh!) Depending on state it can be a fairly hard test and you will want to take a class. A license and HS diploma are really all you need and some one in the know to give you a job or be really good at interviewing. If you want you could get a some type of buisness degree but its not necessary. You just need to have an connection for a job, because IMHO its a saturated job market right now and having no experience will hurt you in trying to get any job.

RBBaby
12-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp
from upenn.edu

Undergraduate Admission and Fees
$29,318 (Academic Year 2003)

Room and Board Fees
$8,642 (Academic Year 2003)

wharton MBA Fees:
Educational Budget - Academic Year 2003-2004
Tuition and Fees $37,323
Room and Board $14,200
Books and Supplies $5,900
Subtotal $59,423
Pre-Term Estimate
Fess, Room and Board, Books, and Supplies $2,478
TOTAL $61,901

fuck. I have a huge trust fund for my education, but there is no way I can afford 60k a year. oh my god, 60k for a single year of education? wow. $240,000+ to get my ass edumacated? you gotta be kidding me.

Nissan240SX
12-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Most the time they don't even care what the degree is.. just that you had the discipline to complete a 4 year curriculum.

This is false. I am currently a double major one in Crime and Delinquincy and the other in Forensic Science. I have already been on five interviews and I am only a Sophmore. They are really picky. They want to know specifics on what you are getting a degree in, and if it will work for there company.

Also make sure you get a degree in something you want to do for the rest of your life before you retire. You don't want to have to go into work everyday regretting the decisions that you made. You need to do something that you enjoy. I am not sure what year you are in high school but explore the areas that you find interesting. Read some books on topics and look at some schools that offer the degrees and see what they have to say about it. As well as talk to some students at the schools to see how they like what they are doing. You can do that by doing a campus visit. Either way you go just do what you want to do something that you will enjoy doing.

aznpoopy
12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by RBBaby
fuck. I have a huge trust fund for my education, but there is no way I can afford 60k a year. oh my god, 60k for a single year of education? wow. $240,000+ to get my ass edumacated? you gotta be kidding me.

assuming you can get in ;) what are your grades like? hows your scholastic standing? what kind of extra curriculum activities do you have? good colleges and programs are good for a reason; they are hard. and often times people find they really can't hack it. there are alot of people out there with no college degree; many more then you think. you don't need a college degree to be sucessful... but it helps ALOT. go to a college that matches your ability. learn something, get out there, walk your own path to success.

the amount of presitge that goes along with a college name helps; but its not that important. i have 3 friends who graduated from cornell a year and half ago. still unemployed. my lucky ass graduated from rutgers in may and landed a job near wall st. 3 months later. luck + connections + experience

RBBaby
12-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by aznpoopy
assuming you can get in ;) what are your grades like? hows your scholastic standing? what kind of extra curriculum activities do you have? good colleges and programs are good for a reason; they are hard. and often times people find they really can't hack it. there are alot of people out there with no college degree; many more then you think. you don't need a college degree to be sucessful... but it helps ALOT. go to a college that matches your ability. learn something, get out there, walk your own path to success.

the amount of presitge that goes along with a college name helps; but its not that important. i have 3 friends who graduated from cornell a year and half ago. still unemployed. my lucky ass graduated from rutgers in may and landed a job near wall st. 3 months later. luck + connections + experience

lol, my college application sucks for the most part. 3.4 gpa, but its all harder classes. I could have a 4.0, but I dont want to take easy classes. no extracurriculars AT ALL. I think im top 10% of my school, not sure though. my saving grace is that I got a 32 on the ACT sophmore year, so when I take it again next year, it should all be gravy. anyways, I dont plan on going straight to my major good school, I want to do 2 years or something like that at a state school or something like thta, something not expensive, then transfer to a good school. and if Im gonna be getting an MBA thats probably best to do so I dont leave my trust fund drained for all my younger cousins who will draw from it later.

but back to schools... does anyone know much about butler? its in indianapolis, and they say they have a pretty good buisness program...