PDA

View Full Version : Be thankful for what you have.

Hywarp161
12-21-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=301471&position=1&news_type=news

This was my younger sister's home, On December 19th at 1am a fire broke out in the basement of their home, everyone got out safely but the fire destroyed the house and all of their belongings. As of right now Brittany is in the hospital due to an unknown ailment and the stress of the situation. Her fiancée Anthony and their 3 ½ year old baby Riane are currently staying in a hotel provided by Red Cross, Riane is a special needs child who was born with a rare disorder called Septo-Optic Dysplasia. Her optic nerves never formed properly, a small piece of her brain is absent and her pituitary gland is extremely small. She is developmentally behind by 12-15 months. She requires daily growth hormone shots to help her grow. Although the family has home owners insurance the money they will receive is much lower than what is needed to rebuild their home. At this time we are looking into all possible solutions to have the house rebuilt.

blueshark123
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Barely any one can see the link you posted since you have to be a subscribed user. When they assess the property for insurance they normally give you coverage to cover what the house would cost to rebuild so i dont know why it would be so much less.

I believe your story but your post comes off as being spam.

orion::S14
12-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I feel for your sister.

... Although the family has home owners insurance the money they will receive is much lower than what is needed to rebuild their home...

...but...Huh?

Unless they have some low-dollar, shitty insurance with a ton of restrictions...they will get the replacement cost, as "blueshark" pointed out.

That means, they will be made "whole".

Lets assume it was a $200,000 house with $40,000 of stuff inside...but will cost $250,000 to rebuild by today's building costs, and will cost them $50,000 to re-buy similar items to what was destroyed.

Then they *should* be getting a check for $250,000 for the house, and $50,000 for the replacement items.

"Replacement cost". Tell them to accept nothing less from the insurance company.

- Brian