PDA

View Full Version : Bushing Help

SuperBlackS14
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
This is also posted on NICO but I got no responses so I wanted to see if anyone here could be more helpful...

I decided thanks to Project Car magazine to give the Energy Suspension Hyper Flex Master Bushing Kit installed in my S14. Been doing the work myself for a while now, and so far I think I've managed to save about 700 dollars on labor. I owned most of the tools to do this work since I was working on a set to disassemble a KA and stroke it out... But that fell by the wayside. About all I needed was a torch ($30) and a press ($60), a small 6-ton.

So far, I've completed the front bushings. The car handles much tighter especially with the new ball joints in my LCAs and the new tie rod ends. I barely feel any deterioration in ride quality, but now I have to do the rears...

What I've read so far, is that the rear bushings will have a marked impact on ride comfort. Not only that, because the car is 15 years old, I was planning to replace the subframe and differential bushings, but the few reviews I've read said that they were terrible for Dailying.

I daily drive my car and since Nismo discontinued the Subframe Bushings I can't find them anywhere, and that's why I wanted to do the ES kit, but I wanted some opinions from people who have been dailying these suckers.

TL;DR - Anyone using the Energy Suspension kit for daily driving their S-chassis, and how does it feel, especially if you've swapped the Subframe Bushings compared to stock?

ManoNegra
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Subframe bushings aren't as big deal since the bushings sits static
you'll be fine with ES
even the aluminum ones can be lived with
if you have a 2-way diff or, worse, a welded
you won't notice the added noise

the arms are the ones you should worry about
since they have a tendency to squeak and bind with time

ps, if you're adamant about hard rubber bushings ala Nismo
look up HardRace bushings

SuperBlackS14
12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Well... I kinda already bought the ES Subframe kit, so it's pretty much foregone that I'm using those unless I get some sound opinions that hard-rubber bushings would be a better choice for a daily.

Thanks for the reply btw!

ManoNegra
12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
also the good thing about the ES bushings is that you can
easily removed them later in favor of something else
unlike say SPL ones that you need to cut the metal sleeve and press in

Croustibat
12-14-2011, 03:33 AM
I dont think energy suspension makes subframe bushings ... they make inserts, but not bushings.

Anyway ... I had my subframe bushing changed for some PU ones. No change in comfort. I just hear the diff whinning in 4th and 5th gear, and it is not that loud (bear in mind my car is stripped out, i dont think you would really hear that with interior in)

the ones that DO change for confort are engine and gearbox ones.

SuperBlackS14
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Energy 7.1117G Rear Sub frame Bushings for 95-98 Nissan 240sx Black (http://www.frsport.com/Energy-7-1117G-Rear-Sub-frame-Bushings-for-95-98-Nissan-240sx-Black_p_16581.html)

I have a set of those sitting in my room, so I'll be doing those as soon as my car comes back from having it's Tein SS coilovers put in.

Thanks for the opinions. I guess I'll do the PU Subframe bushings and maybe the diff bushings.