PDA

View Full Version : Too risky?

Drummer
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi guys, new guy here. i guess you could say im newer to cars too. Ive done a lot of research, but dont have much experience. Ive been looking to get a 240 for a while now.

I found one on craigslist for pretty cheap, but he said the motor is shot after it spun a bearing. I want to buy it, and just pull the old Ka24 and put in a different one. I figure if i just following engine removal guides i should be fine, and i have friends that can help.

One thing im worried about though is things on the car that arent working, but i wont be able to test before i buy it because it's not running. The owner claims everything is fine, but of course he does, right?

so, TL;DR: What are some things to look for when buying a 240 without being able to start it up so i dont waste a bunch of money buying a broken car.

Or should i just not fool around with fixing it and find one that runs fine?

Any advice would be helpful!

240sx 700 obo! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2742507865.html)

562s13
12-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Find one that runs fine. 240s are money pits. Even deeper pits when they arent in good shape.

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
$700 for a chassis aint exactly bad nowadays. You can probably offer him $500 and hell bite. If you're mechanically inclined, you got the tools and place to pull the engine, why not do it?

Drummer
12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
$700 for a chassis aint exactly bad nowadays. You can probably offer him $500 and hell bite. If you're mechanically inclined, you got the tools and place to pull the engine, why not do it?

Those were my thoughts exactly. 500 for the chassis, and i could pick up another KA for what, another $500? for $1000 the car is much better than any other 240 around here for $1000. Most of the cars around here for that cheap have a lot of frame rot or other broken parts.

The tough part is knowing weather or not the engine is the only thing thats broken

Mercury_Hg
12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Check for rust, or signs of rust being covered up. He said there was a little bit. Bring a light, don't be afraid to really inspect it.

Aside from that there's not much else to look for, that I can think of.

Drummer
12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
as long as i get a good working engine, i feel like theres not much to worry about

Croustibat
12-11-2011, 09:01 AM
There are. Lots of.

You will find out the hard way eventually ...

gearbox, fueling system, bushes, hidden rust on sills and boot, rusty hatch, bent subframe from accidents, various leaks, clogged radiator, the list goes on and on. S13s are more than 20 year old now. For that kind of money, dont get over excited. You dont know these cars, if it was worth it someone who does would have already bought it. My 2p ...

no back seat and no back carpet + engine blown often means it was a track/race car, or it was used like it was one.

If you want to drive a 240sx, buy one that drives. If you want to work on one for at least 2 years before it drives and spend at least 4 grands in parts, buy this one.

RandallSharp
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I just paid $1000 for a clean running hatch! That's ridiculous!

Either way, you could possibly take a battery with you and check the electrical system out.

Mercury_Hg
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I just paid $1000 for a clean running hatch! That's ridiculous!

Either way, you could possibly take a battery with you and check the electrical system out.
It depends on where you live. I bought my running coupe for $900 a year ago. But down where I'm at now you'd be lucky to get a decent shell for that much. It's pretty ridiculous.

RandallSharp
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
It depends on where you live. I bought my running coupe for $900 a year ago. But down where I'm at now you'd be lucky to get a decent shell for that much. It's pretty ridiculous.

If only you would've seen my purchase thread, lol. This was like once in a lifetime, but everyone on here said it was trash and not worth it :picardfp:

LOUD240
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
paid $500 for mine and have had it for over 7 years . Ran perfect A/C works interior was perfect ,front was punched a bit but an easy fix

Corbic
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Correct -

Rust is the big issues. If its clean, it worth it. Engines are like $300-$800.

If you plan on a swap your just saving money.

uraznfriend
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
paid $500 for mine and have had it for over 7 years . Ran perfect A/C works interior was perfect ,front was punched a bit but an easy fix

That was way before the drift tax,

But for 700, seems like a deal with some work youll be fine

RandallSharp
12-12-2011, 08:28 PM
All of this is good information, but if you don't have the means to do the swap yourself, you should probably keep looking. Shops want way too much money for stuff like that.