PDA

View Full Version : smog cali rule about modified cars

David0Lt
12-09-2011, 09:44 PM
ok so i live in maryland and my friend moved to cali. here in MD if you wanta get past emmissions you pay 400$ to "fix" your exhuast, go historic plates, or pay someone off.

first question, how do you all pass smog in cali, because my friend is making it sound like its impossible. and if you cant pass smog y do you all have so many swapped cars.

so i told my friend to just title and tag the car in MD with his mom. that way he can goto cali and just drive it around without the cali smog. He states that the cali police will force him to title and tag his car in cali if he stays there for more then 10 days?! so does this mean if i grab my historic heavly modded ae86 and goto cali for a drift event, ill get ticketed after 10 days?

second question, does anyone know the rules on driving out of state cars?

third question, does anyone know the rule on out of state historic plated cars?

here in the mid alantic area we see it like drive from MD to DC to VA. it doesnt matter were you go they wont really mess with you. shit i daily drive this car....

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/17165_1237937548338_1226220184_30726470_7719610_n. jpg (dont hate on the beater, i acctually got a nice looking one)

and when a cop pulls me over and i tell him i got historic tags they literally walk way.

i can understand if my car is to loud. or if a tail light is out.... but how to they force emmissions on an out of state car.... do they do that. or are his friends just saying shit?

fliprayzin240sx
12-09-2011, 09:58 PM
First and foremost...you know there's a regional section right?

But in all honesty, if you move and decide to live in CA, then YES, you're supposed to register it in the state. But if you're just passing thru, no plans of living there, then no. Only real way they can harass you about this is if you've been in the area and cops started noticing your car on a regular basis. Thats the only time I've heard of folks getting pulled over and questioned why they have out of state plates.

I've known folks who went to school out of state and didnt change plates. Another scenario is when folks get temporarily relocated to another state and not having to register their cars to that state.

lude4life13
12-09-2011, 11:13 PM
^^
That post is right. If you dont live, or plan to live in Cali, you shouldn't have any problems. Its not like they know when you crossed the state line.

In terms of how do people get smogs on the swapped cars in California: You have to know the right people, but only an idiot would advertise they can do it on a public forum.

memphis180sx
12-09-2011, 11:18 PM
just say your been looking at schools, jobs, and houses lol

pacotaco345
12-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Uhh.. didn't you already post this in the off topic section?

zedsup83
12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
illegal smogs..................................SSSSHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH.

RoXiE.S14
12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah you might need to be a little on the hush and shhhh about illegal stuff hehe

pacotaco345
12-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Its so cal... find some friend who has the same color 240 as you that passes smog, put your plates on their car, n swap dashes. Then find some cheap ass smog place that doesn't pay attention and only checks the vin in the registration. Save yourselff 100 dollars or more.

David0Lt
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
i sould restate some things.

im not asking if i can get one done illegally. im asking if that the only way in cali. i just get around it here with historic plate. but they dont moniter mile or when its driven.

my friend moved to cali because of school and is staying there w his aunt. he is going to be there for 2 years.

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2011, 09:24 AM
K, heres the question, how long are you planning on staying in CA? If you plan on just being there for a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months, you should have nothing to worry about. Now, if you live there for over a year, where the same cops see your car all the time, then they can harass you. Best thing to do if you will be in CA for a long ass time, plan on keeping your car plated out of state permanently, DONT MAKE THE CAR STAND OUT!!! That means, make it look decent, multi colored, noisy cars will stand out like a sore thumb.

Or do what I did, you can join the military, get stationed in CA with FL plates, pop your SR'd car hood to CHP and just grin like a muffo.

pacotaco345
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Or do what I did, you can join the military, get stationed in CA with FL plates, pop your SR'd car hood to CHP and just grin like a muffo.

:werd: I'm in AFROTC at TCU, next year when I bring my car out here its getting Texas plates, and when I commission I'm gonna try to go back to California.

Cop pull me over and be like
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/pacotaco345/first_time_gif_reactions_to_seeing_guys_package_05 .gif

And I be like
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/pacotaco345/new_funny_gif_03.gif

Lane1820
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
K, heres the question, how long are you planning on staying in CA? If you plan on just being there for a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months, you should have nothing to worry about. Now, if you live there for over a year, where the same cops see your car all the time, then they can harass you. Best thing to do if you will be in CA for a long ass time, plan on keeping your car plated out of state permanently, DONT MAKE THE CAR STAND OUT!!! That means, make it look decent, multi colored, noisy cars will stand out like a sore thumb.

yeah us being in the military makes it so funny when you pop your hood to a cop! lmao

s13 @ fullboost
12-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I have dealer plates Seems to get around just about everything

fatduece
12-28-2011, 02:48 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/17165_1237937548338_1226220184_30726470_7719610_n. jpg (dont hate on the beater, i acctually got a nice looking one)
How disgusting!! Cant you at least clean it up with some cheap rattle can paint? and why does every turd have to be flat black? Haven't you ever seen a rainbow? It's got all of these amazing colors you can choose from. Spray down that bucket with a cheap white color, not flat black like 90% of the of this community.

Rant/

s13 @ fullboost
12-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Is it your car? No?. Oh Okay then who gives a duck

h2v7
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
first question, how do you all pass smog in cali,

pay 400$ to "fix" your exhuast, go historic plates, or pay someone off.

answered your own question

cali mad strict bro
jdm tyte tho

illvialuver
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
YOU ARE AN IDIOT TO POST THIS KIND OF THREAD HERE. yOU KNOW THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM RIGHT?

soreballz
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
^Stop shouting. He's asking a legitimate question, not the usual request for a smog hookup.

AnthonysSilvia
12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
its called have a friend that works at a smog shop and pay him 150 to pass it.

dongoesby
12-28-2011, 10:45 PM
YOU ARE AN IDIOT TO POST THIS KIND OF THREAD HERE. yOU KNOW THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM RIGHT?

100% agree. keep your private conversations off the forum.

scott883
12-28-2011, 11:14 PM
its called have a friend that works at a smog shop and pay him 150 to pass it.

ahmen.

msglnghomgelohel

ryandriftingfat
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
My roommate has lived in CA for almost a year, still hasn't registered his car here. Never had issues either.

rebornS14
01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I have dealer plates Seems to get around just about everything

serious gold right there. i had a friends car with distributer plates and i was going a little fast right outside a residential street and there was a cop posted there right passed a little hill, which im guessing is his spot to camp for speeders. anyways i passed him probably doing 10+ miles over the speed limit and he quickly came after me. after he got behind me and saw the distributer plates, he slowly backed off and made a u-turn.

zerodameaon
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
yeah us being in the military makes it so funny when you pop your hood to a cop! lmao
In San Diego they will still give you a ticket for illegal swaps even if your out of state resident and registered out of state. And the Refs in the area will still enforce it. I had to pull some shady shit on a ref to get my Maine Rb powered S13 out of trouble. And yes California can force CA emissions on a out of state car. Thats the perks of being a state you can make your own laws.

Gizmo_S13
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Your friends a bitch... a bunch of my buddies buy out of state cars and drive them like that until they have to register them. Just like people posted up there^^^ if your car looks like shit, you'll get shit from cops. Regarding your smog question, we all do it crooked. LOLZ