PDA

View Full Version : Why lock threads?

ez1286
12-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Why are threads in the "Off the Topic" area locked even if they are stupid (like my NISMO Vs HOMO which i think was the best thred ever) isn't that kinda the reason for the "off Topic" area. Sorry i'm just pissed that its so governed.

DRFT
12-23-2003, 02:32 AM
just cuz

revat619
12-23-2003, 03:44 AM
The reason is because theres a difference between a normal off topic thread and a just plain retarded one. Retarded threads are pointless and they clog up the board. The nismo/homo thread was one of those retarded threads, hence the lock.

camppain
12-23-2003, 03:48 AM
Why open threads?

Phlip
12-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Bandwidth is the reason to lock threads, especially threads that have nothing to say. Call me a post whore for getting in on this one before IT gets locked, but think about this:
Zilvia has how many members?
Now how many of those members are online at a given time?
Now think of the logjam it causes for a large amount of them to be viewing or posting on ONE thread that has NOT SHIT of substance to say. You may or may not have been around to remember back in February and March, there was a thread that Charlie started in chat and Jeff moved to off topic, then renamed to "The official post whore thread," that may have been the most fun thread I have seen in the history of this site, HOWEVER, it had to be locked for fundamental reasons, like the fact that 15-20 people posting on that one thread simultaneously ALL day bogged the rest of the forums down and made the whoe experience of the site worse.

...Other reasons I have seen threads locked is because the thread has been abandoned and is 5-6 pages back and some dickehead bumps it for no apparent reason. Then there's the most frequently displayed reason for the thread being locked: the thread starter was a phallus himself. Locked threads are usually a precursor to a warning and maybe a ban if someone doesn't chill.

mrmephistopheles
12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
we also lock threads, as opposed to simply deleting them, to provide a reason for the thread's removal/lock, and keep 'evidence' of a user's misbehavior, should the need to ban said user arrive later.

Brian
12-23-2003, 07:32 PM
threads are locked because mr. meph wants to show you who's the boss.
:axe:

zero.counter
12-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ez1286
Why are threads in the "Off the Topic" area locked even if they are stupid (like my NISMO Vs HOMO which i think was the best thred ever)......

'Nuff Said!