PDA

View Full Version : Wheres your maf at? Cold or hot side?

c_mancuyas8
12-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone just thought id get some input on this. I recently got a tuned ecu and went to a z32 maf and Im running a bit richer than I think I should be (10.1-10.5) Idle however is great (14.5-14.7) Presently the maf is before the turbo like most everyone does but Im wondering if my car would run better with the maf in the cold side right before the throttle body bc of the different air temp the occasional boost leak (there is none now to my knowledge) only thing I cant think of is that maybe its not good for it to see boost? Any help (input) would be
greatly appreciated.

Croustibat
12-02-2011, 03:33 AM
The MAF is at a great place there, dont move it. The ECU has a map to convert its signal from the place it is, moving it may create a need to adjust that map.

If you are too rich, it means you need to
1/make sure you have no boost leak
2/map the car correctly

Off the shelf chips are usually richer and have a conservative timing, to avoid complaints about broken engines, because a lot of people just throw all the mods together and hope it just works. Problem is, a perfectly mapped engine does not tolerate things such as boost leak, badly set CAS, dying fuel pump and so on.

10:1 is too rich performance wise, 12:1 is good. Oem mapping is around 9:1 though :D

c_mancuyas8
12-02-2011, 03:58 AM
Yeah I talked with Martin at Enthalpy concerning this and the first thing Im going to do is a boost leak test. However another big issue I left out before is that bc I run bov to atmosphere I run into issues with backfiring and occasionally the engine will stall. As far as bad parts fuel pump etc all that stuff is new lol Im sure I have boost leak somewhere. But fixing that still wont fix the metered air still in my piping that gets dumped.

TheRealSy90
12-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Recirc your blow off valve then if you know that's the problem.

I personally just leave mine vented and don't let it die when it's coming down to idle haha.

c_mancuyas8
12-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Lol that's presently my solution. If I gear down its not as bad but without doing that I have to stay in throttle n I sound like those "cool guy" Honda bros reving their engine at every intersection lmao

4x4le
12-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Get a ssqv and put that near your tb and get rid of the other bov you have if its causing you that much trouble. And next time you plan on coming back to town you need to have me tune that thing so you have a great running car bro.

Emeru
12-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Get a ssqv and put that near your tb and get rid of the other bov you have if its causing you that much trouble. And next time you plan on coming back to town you need to have me tune that thing so you have a great running car bro.

x2

i have the maf in the same spot, and an ssqv on the hot side. and coming to a stop it will drop a bit then idle with no problem, but never turned off.

compactfean
12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Have any of you ever done a leak down test before and after running open bov and then recirculating it? It amazing, how much running open bov washes down the cylinders. The numbers prove it.

c_mancuyas8
12-04-2011, 05:05 AM
^ r u talking about unused fuel? Brandon I wish I was closer it'd b done already Lol

c_mancuyas8
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I moved it in the middle of my cold pipe and car is running hella better. Idles great no more dying in decel.