PDA

View Full Version : choices...choices...

crioten
12-18-2003, 09:40 AM
im struggling on what i should get, a bmw 850ci or an r32 gtr skyline...i know i wont be getting one for a few years, but id like to hear what you have to say...

i plan on making the 850 twin turbo'd (either custom or a dinan kit)
heres a very nice 850:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2448139438&category=6130

and you all know the possibilities of the skyline, in the end ill be spending the same amount of money, and yes, i do realize what kind of price tags are on these, and i dont want people to say that i wont get one or anything (actually i have some money waiting for me when i get out of college)

just want some discussion...

-glen

AKADriver
12-18-2003, 10:29 AM
If you want to twin turbo the 850csi, figure custom engine management into your budget. The stock engine management was retarded - basically two 325i computers running in parallel, one for each bank of cylinders. I'm not joking. They're overcomplicated cars with tons and tons of electrical faults. BUT, they are stunning, eh?

ONYX S-13
12-18-2003, 10:35 AM
I think it might depend on what you wanna do with the car..Like if you want a track car (Road racing), you might wanna choose a skyline cause there's more aftermarket support for suspension,wheels,etc....But if you just wanna have a fast car for the street that'll never see a track in it's life then the 8 series might be better cuase you never see those things anymore , let alone a fixed up one..The skyline has tons of aftermarket support,huge potential, and a car that was built for the track right out of the factory (So naturally it'll be better for that purpose)..The 8 series on the other hand is the luxury car with a big engine...So the ride quality and power is definetly there but with it's massive weight that might hinder it's performance on the track but is fine on the streets..I'm not sure if the aftermarket is big on that car or if theirs any at all ..That Dinan company might make some parts for it, but I'm not sure if it'll be as plentiful as it is for the skyline..The unique factor would be a huge plus if you make the 8 series into a track car...I know i've never seen anyone do that before.So in a nutshell i'd say if you want a racecar pick they skyline, if you want a street car that has a lot of umph and the luxury to do it comfortably then i'd pick the 8 series..

brianglawson
12-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Id say if you have the money to get the bmw and MAINTAIN it and INSURE it then by all means go for it, these are the most beautiful bmw ever made next to the Z8, bu tthe skyline would probably be a better car all around.....BMW v 12's are very notorious for EXPENSIVE repair bills IF they mess up.....But they are such beautiful cars and bmws are so well engineered

RBBaby
12-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I think its worth mentioning that glen only gets the money for this car IF he graduates :D

RoNiN240sx
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
BMW 850 is teh sex. i'd definitely kill to get one, v-12? whoa!
but all the mechanical problems would be eh.....
guess it doesn't hurt that we have a buncha mechanics in the family though.

K240
12-19-2003, 08:04 PM
i Will be the a$$ and say go for the Skyline. It is a all around good car.

mastalee
12-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Since it is going to be a few years, have you thought about the new 6-Series?

NZO
12-19-2003, 09:55 PM
8 Series is slow and heavy I dont care what turbos you put on it. R32 an 8 series are almost polar opposites. Your decision depends on what you want to do with the car. IMO if you are even considering an 8 series over an R32 then just do the poor skyline a favor and get the 8.

ca18guy
12-19-2003, 09:58 PM
I would chose neither and you probably will to, plans and tastes in cars can and most likely will change in a few years.