PDA

View Full Version : Just the principle of the matter...

fastpace
12-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Hello all. Well some of yall knew that I got in a car accident where the guy did a hit and run and my friend caught the bastard. I should be getting my car fixed sometime during the christmas break with his insurance paying for the damage. I am thinking about pressing charges on the mainly because of the simple fact that he did a hit and run and didn't stop to see if I was okay. I am pretty sure that I will get some kind of settlement from the accident, but it was weird yesterday when I was talking with my mom. She just cares that my car gets fixed, she also said that she thinks that it will be too much of a hassle, but I really just want to make a point to the f!cker who hit me is that all he had to do was to stop and everything would have been fine.

I was wondering if anybody else has gone through crap like this and what has happened in yalls situation?

S13SilviaGirl
12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I know it would be one hell of a proceeding. I want to try and have my neighbor that hit my car in the post next to me pay for the damage, but I know the dumb bitch wouldn't pay, even though her suv is white along with the scratches and the 30 some odd door dings....:eek:

R K e 1 C A
12-17-2003, 06:35 PM
In my opinion, have your ride fixed, make sure all repair are done professionally and it looks, feels, is as it was before this incident.

In regards to pressing charges, it will be a time consuming process.

First, if you were going to press charges, it would have been best to do it at the time it happened.
Your case would be much more strong if:
i.e. The Police were called and an Accident Report was filed/conducted then you’d have the officers during the Trial proceedings, thus tremendously decreasing the burden of proof.

Second, this was not the case, even though your car is getting fixed by his insurance company, basically it is your word against his if this goes to Trial...which it most likely will as this is a serious offense for him.

Next, the proof of evidence is there, the car damage, his insurance covering the damage. Nevertheless, if and when he “lawyers up,” it will be more time consuming and is not worth it for you.

In my opinion the main thing of ever going to Court fin this type of situation is to get your damages fixed. Since this is already being done, going to Trial, consulting with an Attorney, taking up his/her time as well as yours, simply because of the principle of the matter is not worth it

It would be nice to get him for doing a Hit and Run, that was wrong of him, but since your car is already getting fixed, ethically soeaking, this should be the end of it

HiPSI
12-17-2003, 07:51 PM
did he go to jail? if he did and your car's getting fixed and you're alright then i wouldn't go through with it. too much money involved to make it worth your time really.:(

fastpace
12-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I feel what everybody is saying. Actually the scenerio is kind of gay right now. After the hit and run my friend followed the guy and the guy almost ran him off the road. The cop got to the guy's place with me and my friend in the back seat. The guy was nowhere to be found. There were other people at the place and the cop asked my friend to see if he could identify the guy, but he couldn't. The officer looked at the truck and saw the damages on it. I called the officer 2 days ago to see if I can get the guys insurance information, but the officer told me that the guy hasn't come into the officer yet and he thinks the reason is because the guy feels that the officer is going to arrest him. So I have to wait another week to get the guys insurance info.

Damn, I never really realize how low people are in this world. Oh well, I guess I will wait to see how the insurance thing turns out.

R K e 1 C A
12-17-2003, 10:06 PM
In your 1st post, it seemed like his insurance was already paying for it.

In your 2nd post, it is a totally different situation. Best of luck either way and let us know how it turns out for you