PDA

View Full Version : doesn't drift right after installing Tein tie rod and alignment

SR2oD3T
11-17-2011, 01:47 PM
i started to go drifting event every week since september. i was doing pretty good on the skid pad until i do this upgrade intend to get more steering angle.

basic modify list on my 240sx:
1992 stock KA
stance coilover
front and rear ST sway bar
front and rear strut bar
front megan tension rod

as i said i was doing perfectly fine before i install this:
tein inner tie rod (trying to get more steering angle)
curcuit sport outer tie rod end (my stock one was fine, just the boot were broken, and trying to fix the bump steer)
4 wheel alignment.

initially, i feel the steering is not as sensitive as before. yes the extra angle was great. so i still went to the weekly skid pad.
before, i turn the steering 90 degree and pull the e brake to initial the drift, then the steering will counter itself.
now, i still use the e brake, but i have to turn 180 degree to make it slide. moreover, the steering doesn't counter as quick as it used to. it still counter itself, but so slow that i have to help turning the steering. and also, have less feeling on the steering comparing to before.

here is the alignment number:
front camber before: -2.1/-2.9
front toe before: way off cus i installed the tie rod
front caster before: 6.8(within spec)/8.2(out of spec because i installed the tension rod before)

front camber now: 1.5/1.5
front toe now: 0.09 (within spec 0.02 0.11)/ 0.05 (within spec 0.02 0.11)
front caster now: 6.2/6.0 (spec is 6.0 7.5)

rear camber now: -2.8/-2.8
rear toe now: 0.09/0.06 (within spec 0.03 0.21)

i did a little research already. question is, how do i get back my steering feeling? drifter usually set the front camber to negative 3 to 4. will that fix the problem i have now? is there something wrong with the alignment? i have install all the parts right so that is out of the question.

its gonna be my drift car, i m not gonna daily drive it that much since i have 2 other cars. i might have a in-car video to show later on too if it helps.

please let me know what u guys think from ur experience. all help will be appreciated. thanks.

KELvin

S14DOOD
11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Put the stock shit back on!

96Turbo
11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
More Caster? That should increase the tendency to self-steer..

Looking forward to see what everyone else thinks

SR2oD3T
11-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Put the stock shit back on!

thats the last thing i would do.
those upgraded parts has been selling for a while and i never heard people have problem with it. so i m assuming the alignment makes that difference more likely?!

KELvin

EvoVIII808
11-17-2011, 02:39 PM
give it more camber in the frnt (2.0-2.5), less in the rear. this will help with you steering inputs. You almost want to run an autox style setup but obviously change a few things here and there to help you slide easier. Can also bump your damper settings up in the rear.

G5SR20240
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
A little more caster and a degree more of camber will help you out

dOMEmE
11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
i agree with adding more caster ,camber.....

N2HIFI
11-17-2011, 04:48 PM
i agree with adding more caster ,camber.....

Add more camber in the front and max caster out, the reason you feel your steering is now slow is because you took out camber iout of the front but added some to the rear and then removed some caster which helps with self steer (aka the steering wheels want to return to center)

My setup:

Front:
camber 3.2
toe 0
caster 7.5

Rear:
camber 1.5
toe 0

I personally dont run toe because i drive the car to events (over 5hr drives) so i need to prolong the life of my tires, if i trailered this car i would add toe to increase the car stability in drift

my steering is super quick and gives me plenty of steering grip in drift on a 215/45 tire and by running low camber in the rear it increases steering input and helps get the ass end out faster and give plenty of grip/car control in drift

this is my opinion but i have a good amount of seat time and have played with my alignment ALOT

di-devol
11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I felt the same with rack spacers and tie rods. Upper the caster is the way to go.

I'm happy with these settings.

Front:
Camber -5.2
toe 0
caster 8.5ish

rear:
camber -3.5 (pulling the camber out now for Sunday event)
toe 0

I play with alignment alot as well.

Ben10
11-17-2011, 08:14 PM
add sr20

DRIFT.
lol

memphis180sx
11-17-2011, 08:33 PM
i had a somewhat near the same set up its definatly not the parts id say alighnment/other stuff

SR2oD3T
11-17-2011, 08:49 PM
thanks for all the reply. i did a couple more hours of research, seems like its mainly the caster and the camber.
here's what i found out today, correct me if i m wrong:
more caster, around 7.5, wheels move forward to the front, will make steering wheel tend to get back to center.
more negative camber will get more steering feeling?! slide sideway easier?

it shows on the alignment paper that OEM spec caster is 6.0-7.5. i see a lot of people doing more than that like 8 or even 9 for drift. i'll probably go 7.5 or 8.
sure camber i will put 3-4.
for rear camber. i see people do close to no camber, or 3-4 negative. whats the difference?!
its a must to re-do the alignment now and yes i don't think its the parts' problem.

KELvin

di-devol
11-17-2011, 09:42 PM
I want to run less camber to get more traction in the back, some run camber to fit their wheels.

With alot of caster in the front, Prepare thy hammer for hammering.

1slowS13
11-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Sleep on it.

Everytime you upgrade, you always need to relearn the car.

There's alot of people drifting with no to bad alignment settings.

If anything, try to stiffen the damper to keep momentum as an advantage for lower horsepower cars

PoorMans180SX
11-18-2011, 06:19 AM
8.5 degrees of caster is way too much. This will lean your tire over too far at full lock, decreasing grip in drift.

Try using 7* caster with -3-3.5* degrees of camber in the front. Take out a degree of camber in the rear if you can.

Our cars NEED at least -3* of camber in the front for any kind of performance driving, especially if you're low.

Darren
11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
8.5 degrees of caster is way too much. This will lean your tire over too far at full lock, decreasing grip in drift.

Try using 7* caster with -3-3.5* degrees of camber in the front. Take out a degree of camber in the rear if you can.

Our cars NEED at least -3* of camber in the front for any kind of performance driving, especially if you're low.

This.... and IF you don't believe what everyone else is saying, read this:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/296725-roll-center-suspension-pickup-steering-angle-modification-thread.html

SR2oD3T
11-19-2011, 07:23 PM
here i cut out the before and after video in slow motion. steering wheel counter slower than before. hopefully u guys can see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_iWtpoecnc

KELvin