PDA

View Full Version : S15 Automatic Transmission

Bacus69
11-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm working on a project in school. We're doing automatic transmissions and I'm looking for some info on the automatic 4-speed that comes in the S15. Looking for any information on it, specs, problems, who manufactures it. Any info will be useful!

Kingtal0n
11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm working on a project in school. We're doing automatic transmissions and I'm looking for some info on the automatic 4-speed that comes in the S15. Looking for any information on it, specs, problems, who manufactures it. Any info will be useful!

Wow, I know a guy that threw about 5 of them away at one point. He just needed space and nobody wanted them! Maybe he has one or two left today? I think he kept one or two, iirc. You can try to call him 954-445-4927 LARRY he owns a shop in sfl

2.5T_/<ouki
11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow, I know a guy that threw about 5 of them away at one point. He just needed space and nobody wanted them! Maybe he has one or two left today? I think he kept one or two, iirc. You can try to call him 954-445-4927

LOL!
Hes just looking for information on the tranny itself. Don't think hes actually wants/needs one. Maybe tho?

h2v7
11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
auto tranny on s15 would make me cry

2.5T_/<ouki
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM

4-speed anyone?

Kingtal0n
11-17-2011, 03:49 PM

You guys can laugh all you want, but the automatic transmission, when properly assembled, with the right converter, will always out perform any manual transmission. And I mean quarter mile performance, AND drivability; you dont get better fuel economy, generally because the components of the automatic transmission are heavier to spin and thus carry more rotating mass than the manual transmission components, so theres your "efficiency loss"... but trust me, the automatic makes up for it almost every other aspect.

If you ever get a chance, go for a ride in a vehicle with a fully build 700R4 or TH350 with the proper clutches and steels, the proper shift kit (trans go please?) and you will discover such shifting performance that I cannot describe. Let it be a 9.5" lockup converter custom 2800-3200 stall from experience to really blow your mind.

Can you say, "torque multiplication?"

RandallSharp
11-17-2011, 04:33 PM
You guys can laugh all you want, but the automatic transmission, when properly assembled, with the right converter, will always out perform any manual transmission. And I mean quarter mile performance, AND drivability; you dont get better fuel economy, generally because the components of the automatic transmission are heavier to spin and thus carry more rotating mass than the manual transmission components, so theres your "efficiency loss"... but trust me, the automatic makes up for it almost every other aspect.

If you ever get a chance, go for a ride in a vehicle with a fully build 700R4 or TH350 with the proper clutches and steels, the proper shift kit (trans go please?) and you will discover such shifting performance that I cannot describe. Let it be a 9.5" lockup converter custom 2800-3200 stall from experience to really blow your mind.

Can you say, "torque multiplication?"

All true, but you never truly control your car. 240's are meant to worship the twisties and drift track :) can't do that with an auto.

Kingtal0n
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
All true, but you never truly control your car. 240's are meant to worship the twisties and drift track :) can't do that with an auto.

With enough power, it will go sideways with a manual or automatic :faint: but FWIW I would never give up the S15 six speed unless I had to.

And if you know what you are doing, the valvebody can be programmed to shift any which way you desire. Combined with knowledge of converters and lockup, you can actually have more control than any manual can provide. An auto is much more difficult to set up properly- there is more skill involved in the creation of, rather than, the driving of, so to speak. A fully manual valvebody does exist, and it will hold any gear just like a real manual trans.

I am not actually suggesting everyone go auto. But it has a place, and for me, that place is the daily driver. I dont ever drift my daily.

RandallSharp
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
With enough power, it will go sideways with a manual or automatic :faint: but FWIW I would never give up the S15 six speed unless I had to.

And if you know what you are doing, the valvebody can be programmed to shift any which way you desire. Combined with knowledge of converters and lockup, you can actually have more control than any manual can provide. An auto is much more difficult to set up properly- there is more skill involved in the creation of, rather than, the driving of, so to speak. A fully manual valvebody does exist, and it will hold any gear just like a real manual trans.

I am not actually suggesting everyone go auto. But it has a place, and for me, that place is the daily driver. I dont ever drift my daily.

I'm not arguing, I agree. I'm just saying. Stick has too many benefits. Women love watching us shift. People can't ask to drive your car because most can't drive a stick. I couldn't drive an auto. Although, I hate being in heavy traffic when you can't even touch the gas, you just use the clutch to move.

Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Stick - AskMen (http://www.askmen.com/top_10/cars/top10-reasons-real-men-drive-stick_10.html)

Kingtal0n
11-17-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm not arguing, I agree. I'm just saying. Stick has too many benefits. Women love watching us shift. People can't ask to drive your car because most can't drive a stick. I couldn't drive an auto. Although, I hate being in heavy traffic when you can't even touch the gas, you just use the clutch to move.

Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Stick - AskMen (http://www.askmen.com/top_10/cars/top10-reasons-real-men-drive-stick_10.html)

Im not arguing either, and I wasn't making a counter argument to your statements, of which I agree as well! Its just that... If I dont post anything good about automatics... who will? There has to be someone around here with something good to say about having 25 clutches instead of just one :tinhat:

One of my favorite lines "you ever try to parallel park with a twin plate?"
Everything with an application and an application for everything

RandallSharp
11-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Im not arguing either, and I wasn't making a counter argument to your statements, of which I agree as well! Its just that... If I dont post anything good about automatics... who will? There has to be someone around here with something good to say about having 25 clutches instead of just one :tinhat:

One of my favorite lines "you ever try to parallel park with a twin plate?"
Everything with an application and an application for everything

That's the truth, lol.

I feel this thread has completely veered off topic. Whoops :eek3d: