PDA

View Full Version : Change the DOT/EPA laws from 25 years to 15 years for Importing "illegal" cars!

grimm199
11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Everyone needs to get on this site and help this. Make the DOT/EPA year laws from 25 to 15 years. So if you want to be able to import a car that would be illegal and will not pass safety, now you wil only have to wait 15 years instead of 25. Spread it! https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/pe​titions/%21/petition/stop-usin​g-homeland-security-funds-seiz​e-imported-vehicles-and-change​-dotepa-exemption-15-years/L50​BZzwj#thank-you=p

Come one guys! We need 25,000 Signatures by December 9th, so we need to spread this as much as we can. It will only take a few minutes to read, sign up, and vote, so we need to get it spreading rapidly!

cc4usmc
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
404 Page Not Found

grimm199
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/stop-using-homeland-security-funds-seize-imported-vehicles-and-change-dotepa-exemption-15-years/L50BZzwj#thank-you=p

Jtuned_andy
11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
this is legit, just signed up and petitioned. this is a good first step for us wanting imported vehicles

Razi
11-10-2011, 04:53 PM
The White House doesn't care about these petitions.

People have signed a lot of these, and only got lame responses from them.

grimm199
11-10-2011, 05:03 PM
But did those get 25,000 votes? They might if this gets 25,000

xpertsnowcarver
11-10-2011, 05:31 PM
If I'm doing this basic math right and Google isn't BSing me on the US population.. 25000 people is merely .008% of the nation's population. Gathering interest in changing something of this nature is going to take a lot more effort than signing a petition.

Just wanted to put that in perspective for you guys. Maybe if you guys got 1535000 signatures, but that's still only 0.5% of the nation's population. Send a letter to your congressman or senator if you care that much.

silverarrow27
11-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm not rich enough to import a car here. *shrugs*

Future240
11-10-2011, 05:40 PM
The fact that you have to sign up for that site to sign the petion will hurt a lot of signatures.

grimm199
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
^^^ Yea that is what I was thinking.

Razi
11-10-2011, 06:25 PM
But did those get 25,000 votes? They might if this gets 25,000
Yep.
Some even over 25k.

Then the White House just gave a neutral and safe response that basically just blew it off.

TougeLove
11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
you would probably have to find a congressman against excessive military/homeland security spending. than write them and explain how they can save ENOUGH money to make a difference. somehow this wont be enough in savings BUT it could be added to a bill on regulating spending.

deolio
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
signed it anyway.

enkei2k
11-10-2011, 07:52 PM
why do people insist on importing old ass cars?

oh shit, JDM tyte skyline yo. it's only 25 (or could be 15) years old with outdated shit and a billion miles on them.

LoneStarSilvia
11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Because cars out here are just better.

DoobieS13
11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
now see here is what i don't get. doesn't the 25 year rule mean that it is a historic car? so then the only way to own these cars is to tag it as a historic car? that's a wast cuz then you can't drive it all the time

chiboy002
11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
do you idiots not realize that once they open the gates to these cars, the value pretty much nose dives

the whole reason to having most of these cars is so you can get your dick ridden by damn near everyone. Performance wise they aren't shit with today's technology

and doobie, you dont have to register an old car as antique. thats only if you want perks like 5 year registrations and lower insurance rates and shit. otherwise, you can still daily drive it and register it as a normal vehicle

ronmcdon
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
why do people insist on importing old ass cars?

oh shit, JDM tyte skyline yo. it's only 25 (or could be 15) years old with outdated shit and a billion miles on them.

I fail to see the appeal of that today too.
back in the 90's when we had shit cars it made total sense.
today we have just as good cars as anywhere else in the world, more or less.

I think ppl are just attracted to the novetly of it all today.

btw - I'm shocked ppl still give a shit about 'JDM' in this day & age.

Matej
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
This is not only about Skylines. There are plenty of other neat Japanese and European cars.
If I cared about modern performance and technology, I would not own a 240SX. I enjoy the simplicity and nostalgic value. :)

Not that I will ever import any car anyway, I will leave that to others who want to waste their money. If that is what they want to do, I do not see why owning an imported car should warrant a visit from a SWAT team to have it impounded, as if they were were harboring a terrorist cell or something.

ronmcdon
11-10-2011, 09:46 PM
^

well then an old Z or 510 would offer even more nostalgia & simplicity.
we have that too without the need to import anything.

Matej
11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
^

well then an old Z or 510 would offer even more nostalgia & simplicity.
we have that too without the need to import anything.
Those are too old for my taste. I want cars of the 90's and early 2000's that I could not have as a kid. :)

collegekid
11-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I was just about to post this link. I mean if you guys dont care enough to sign then dont. Yeah new cars are "better" and all that. Its not about being JDM tyte yo its just something people want. If you wanna make an effort, then you do it, if you dont then you dont. Simple math

deolio
11-10-2011, 11:29 PM
it's not like you'd have to be importing cars from japan and europe. there are a lot of cool cars in canada that we can't have here. importing from canada makes things a lot easier and cheaper. i'd sure like an r32 or chaser.

11-10-2011, 11:37 PM
fuck it, i went through the 2 minutes it took to sign it. got my vote

drift freaq
11-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Those are too old for my taste. I want cars of the 90's and early 2000's that I could not have as a kid. :)

Ya but the thing is the S30 Z is considered a real Classic sports car and the 510 is a cult classic sports sedan.

The 240sx is far from consideration of anything like that here in the U.S outside of a few hardcore enthusiasts and kids.

In Japan its another story the 180sx has become and will be legendary like the Z. That is Japan though.

It does not mean I am raining on your nostalgia parade I am just making the point that trying to compare a 240sx to the legends of the 510 and 240Z is pretty much a laugh.

Great car(240sx), could have been marketed better in the U.S. by Nissan. So it did not wind up with the image it has and will be remembered or not remembered for.

Ya the truth hurts.

LoneStarSilvia
11-11-2011, 12:24 AM
This is not only about Skylines. There are plenty of other neat Japanese and European cars.

Ex-act-ly.

So show of hands, how many of you negative nancies have lived in Japan or Europe?

I'd love to daily my Evo 3 back in the States. To hell with DSM's, early Evo's shit on those things all day and with an extra pair of doors. Grocery getter...rally style!

Just imagine if the 15 year rule was passed, in a few years, people can bring back all these killer JZX's here. There's a lot of hidden gem's out here.

I think it'd stimulate the automotive industry, even if by a little. You know they'd find a way to tax these things being imported.

It's not even about being JDM tye yo, it's about enjoying cars that most of us would NEVER see in person. Believe me, there's cooler cars than Skyrine's.

raz0rbladez909
11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I signed it, literally takes 2 minutes and it doesn't hurt anything. All the people being negative need to just stfu. Anything that helps us have a wider variety of cars to choose from is a good thing IMHO, there are plenty of cars that I would love to own that we currently can't (Nissan pulsar gti-r comes to mind)

deolio
11-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Ya but the thing is the S30 Z is considered a real Classic sports car and the 510 is a cult classic sports sedan.

The 240sx is far from consideration of anything like that here in the U.S outside of a few hardcore enthusiasts and kids.

In Japan its another story the 180sx has become and will be legendary like the Z. That is Japan though.

It does not mean I am raining on your nostalgia parade I am just making the point that trying to compare a 240sx to the legends of the 510 and 240Z is pretty much a laugh.

Great car(240sx), could have been marketed better in the U.S. by Nissan. So it did not wind up with the image it has and will be remembered or not remembered for.

Ya the truth hurts.

he didn't compare a 240 to a 510 or 240z... :mepoke:

s14j
11-11-2011, 02:44 AM
signed, it doesn't hurt.

iStayBroke
11-11-2011, 04:15 AM
My stepdad brought his 1991 Z32 back from Okinawa, in 2000. Its perfectly legal (registered in Tennessee). There were also two skylines in the next town over.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2523/4181/6307090007_large.jpg

Is there like a list of cars that don't pass safety and need this to be signed so they can be imported? Or can someone explain because I don't understand it?

LoneStarSilvia
11-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Good point, I need to find that list, I think there's certain cars that are importable, regardless of year.

the a3k
11-11-2011, 08:55 AM
give the people what they want!

i posted the link everywhere

DoobieS13
11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
signed it cuz i really want a Laurel

silviaguy240
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Ya the truth hurts.

What truth? He never said anything about 240's becoming some cult classic. Its a nostalgic car for HIM. And way to contradict yourself. You start talking on something he didn't even mention, say you weren't trying to offend then come back and say the truth hurts...

Flexin
11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Signed it, everything helps

the a3k
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
387. keep it going

grimm199
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the support guys! Just remember to spread it around on major FB pages! I have already posted on Night-Import, Canibeat, Just Stance, JDM, and a few others, but so far Night-Import was the only one to say anything back. So if alot of other guys start saying something to them about it, they might notice it more. 25,000 in a month will be a large feat to try and do, but if we can just keep spreading this, then we might be able to get it to work!

the a3k
11-11-2011, 11:35 AM
i posted on about 20 facebook pages, sent to friends, cnn, jay leno, and more... you never know

besTint
11-11-2011, 11:36 AM
already done and DONE!

tricky_ab
11-11-2011, 11:45 AM
In Canada they changed the rules from 10 to 15 years a few years ago...Man I was set on buying something fun a lot earlier but whatever. 25 years would drive me nuts.

Good luck with this...

the a3k
11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
889 people so far. keep it goin.

BustedS13
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
these petitions accomplish nothing. here's my favorite one:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/we-demand-vapid-condescending-meaningless-politically-safe-response-petition/gCZfn86x

We demand a vapid, condescending, meaningless, politically safe response to this petition.

Since these petitions are ignored apart from an occasional patronizing and inane political statement amounting to nothing more than a condescending pat on the head, we the signers would enjoy having the illusion of success. Since no other outcome to this process seems possible, we demand that the White House immediately assign a junior staffer to compose a tame and vapid response to this petition, and never attempt to take any meaningful action on this or any other issue. We would also like a cookie.

ronmcdon
11-12-2011, 12:45 PM
^^^

Lmao, sadly so fucking true.

drift freaq
11-12-2011, 12:48 PM
he didn't compare a 240 to a 510 or 240z... :mepoke:

it was implied in his comment that he wanted cars from the early 90's. With that much of generic blanket statement it is implied.

Maybe reading comprehension fails you? Blanket statements like his imply he was talking about 240's because hey guess what? This is a 240 related site.

LOL

Smurf_240SX
11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
meh.. it's not gonna hurt, Signed.

Matej
11-12-2011, 02:59 PM
it was implied in his comment that he wanted cars from the early 90's. With that much of generic blanket statement it is implied.

Maybe reading comprehension fails you? Blanket statements like his imply he was talking about 240's because hey guess what? This is a 240 related site.
Actually, in my post I never once mentioned an S-chassis. Why would I want to import one if I can already buy one here? On the contrary; not ruling out the slight chance of ever purchasing a second-hand imported vehicle; I stated I do not care to ever waste my money on importing any car, but do not see why it should be so difficult and why people who do want to drive imported cars should be treated as criminals.

Although I do not think it is only the amount of years that needs to be changed, I think the entire set of laws and procedures for dealing with imported vehicles is silly.

I think one can safely say the reason why the laws and procedures are as harsh and silly as they are is due to the greed and bureaucracy of the government and special interests. For example, the whole government overreaction in seizing people's imported Skylines. They are doing so only because they are not getting their cut, and so they go overboard and act like a stubborn child.

Of course they will say it is because the cars have not been through US crash testing, but there are plenty of less safe pieces of junk on the roads right now. I think that if the cars already pass testing in another civilized country, then it should be enough for the government to just get accident statistics from there to determine whether the car is alright to drive or if it spontaneously explodes on school playgrounds.

I think if the owners of imported vehicles had the opportunity to register them 100% legally as they would any other car, they would be more than happy to do so, instead of being labeled as criminals and having a SWAT team come to their house to impound a car. Perhaps the government could implement a 50$ yearly tax for imported cars or something along those lines. I am sure the owners would be glad to pay it just for the peace of mind, and both parties would be happy.

It is a lesser known fact that automakers themselves have a hand in this as well. For example, many cars would be cheaper to purchase new elsewhere and even with the importation costs, the total would still come out to be less than the price at which they can be purchased new here. That is why the 25-year rule was put in place, if I recall correctly, thanks to a boom of people in the 60's or 70's importing Mercedes vehicles because it was cheaper than buying them here, causing Mercedes to lobby in congress to put a stop to it.
I do not think the year limit will go away because automakers have too big of an influence in the US, but I think it could be reduced to 10 or even 5 years.

WISH ONE
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
signed it anyway. anything helps, if not at least we tried and it doest hurt anything.

!Zar!
11-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Who cares.

They should make a Facebook fan page while they are at it.

Future240
11-12-2011, 09:57 PM
If people really wanted something like this to pass, they'd have to make a bigger fuss than facebook and signing a petion. They would need to send it to some senators, cnn, fox or some other media network that can jump on it, blow it out of proportion and keep the sheeple all upset over.

Boom, law changed.

ronmcdon
11-12-2011, 10:46 PM
A lot more ppl have tried to petition mj & it more or less got some worthless canned response.
Yes, I understand apple & oranges.
Still if all those petitions don't even earn you a respectable response, it's difficult to be optimistic about petitions in general.
Maybe if public & political opinion already had a lot of momentum going.

Something like this is a bit out of reach & has proven to be the case since I don't know when.
(this won't be the first petition & obviously won't be the last).

I sincerely wish you guys all the best, not trying to be facetious here.

!Zar!
11-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I think you all should make a motivational song.

People love songs.

xclusive_s
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
hell yeah it be sick, lets bring over some old R32sss love those skylines

deolio
11-13-2011, 03:05 AM

LOL

i wouldn't assume that a 240sx, a car that we can already buy in the states, would be included in his "blanket statement." :facepalm:

my reading comprehension is just fine, however my ability to jump to conclusions and challenge other's intelligence are failing.

bizarke
11-13-2011, 10:45 AM
signed it.

grimm199
11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I saw 2 R32 today actually. They were at Import Alliance in Nashville. Saw and R33, and two S15 also.

ray666
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
signed. it takes a minute to do. in fact, its quicker to sign it than to post negative crap. bitches...

Walperstyle
11-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Canada rules!

I do feel sorry for you guys, but online petitions solve nothing. ever.

kenS14
11-14-2011, 04:44 AM
yea signed it but mostly i dont think it'll pass or it'll help its chances but whatever doesnt hurt to do somethin

tricky_ab
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Canada rules!

I do feel sorry for you guys, but online petitions solve nothing. ever.

Unless you live in Quebec...

ILoveJDM
11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
In Canada they changed the rules from 10 to 15 years a few years ago...Man I was set on buying something fun a lot earlier but whatever. 25 years would drive me nuts.

Good luck with this...

a few years ago?

the rule has been 15 years for the last 7 years or so. i dont know about before that.

to the americans, i dont really know much about the topic since it doesnt apply to me, but why would the us government want you guys to be sending money across the ocean when your economy is not going well? that doesnt make sense to me.

s13fay92
11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
lots of drama on this thread lol, signed it anyways tho

tricky_ab
11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
a few years ago?

the rule has been 15 years for the last 7 years or so. i dont know about before that.

Time fly's I guess huh...I thought it was 5 years ago but it could have been more. I don't think about it much. I concentrate on the countdown side of things...:)

Hayaku Kenji
11-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Signed it.

!Zar!
11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Lets pass laws so that Americans can send more money outside the country.

SWEET.

HyperTek
11-15-2011, 07:42 PM
I wanted to create something more for my state of california, to get rid of the smog visual inspection (but still require smog testing, but be mainly focused on what actually comes out of the tail pipe, rather than what the engine looks like/parts etc.. ) in all honesty you could make any motor/parts pass smog with a catalytic converter etc.. This should also stop police giving out ref tickets imo. Cops wouldn't be pulling people over to see what they got and wasting valuable time and resources.

raz0rbladez909
11-16-2011, 05:54 AM
I wanted to create something more for my state of california, to get rid of the smog visual inspection (but still require smog testing, but be mainly focused on what actually comes out of the tail pipe, rather than what the engine looks like/parts etc.. ) in all honesty you could make any motor/parts pass smog with a catalytic converter etc.. This should also stop police giving out ref tickets imo. Cops wouldn't be pulling people over to see what they got and wasting valuable time and resources.

It generates too much money for them to give up, California sucks for any automotive or gun laws. :(

SoDel_Onevia
11-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Ok, I signed but, the reality of it is...highly doubt they will really change anything because if you haven't noticed America and our economy is um....what's the word I'm looking for, oh yea! FUCKED! Hard! I don't think our dick government guys are gonna say, "eh, pay off national debt, help with welfare, etc." Or "help these litttle Asian nerds get the cars they want! :D".....just my $.02. But I did sign so dont hate me :) I wanna Chaser!!

!Zar!
11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
So how's the song coming along?

I think Wyclef might jump aboard.

turbo2nr
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
signed! ! ! !

Aoshi112
11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Signed this baby!

the a3k
11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
6,426!!!!!

keep signing

onehundredoctane
11-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Despite the fact that I am extremely doubtful about the fact that this will get anywhere, I have signed the petition.

kat82791
11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
yeap signed it! =)

the a3k
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
7,943!!!!!!!!!!

mxexux
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Whoops!! Started another thread on this haha. I signed it!! #8480

the a3k
11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
keep it goin!

the a3k
11-19-2011, 03:21 PM
9,636 keep goin

!Zar!
11-19-2011, 03:59 PM
You all should Occupy Wallstreet.

the a3k
11-21-2011, 01:18 PM
keep signing!

chiboy002
11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Someone make a petition for them to void this petition and we can all sign it too!

Taniguchi_Is_#1
11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
only about 2 more years til i can street drive an r32. i can wait, i think.

!Zar!
11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
You all are trippin.

speedracer1610
11-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Signed it thanks..

wangan_cruiser
11-24-2011, 10:22 AM
You all should Occupy Wallstreet.

hahaha lmao

AndyG
11-25-2011, 11:23 PM
signed it.

CleanAndLegit
11-25-2011, 11:55 PM
lemme ask this real quick, has anyone even tried to get this out to the media? im sure you could get a nice short story on some station, but im sure no one has tried, so this aint really gonna do shit.