PDA

View Full Version : Another insurance thread

Matej
11-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello fellow insured drivers,
A long time ago, my 1993 240SX used to be insured on a family plan with State Farm. Due to it not running, it had no insurance for the past year or two. However, I would like to get liability insurance on it again this week. State Farm actually quoted me more than what my liability was two years ago; over 80$ per month. I think that is silly, since I have never been in an accident, nor have I received any tickets in the past four or five years. Thus I am 'shopping' for car insurance.

Several companies quoted me 55$ per month, which looks to be as low as I can find. Among those I am leaning towards either Progressive or Esurance, which seem the most reputable. By reputable, I mean that I see their commercials on TV the most often. Which one should I choose and why? Does it matter? Are there any others I should consider? Who do you use to insure your 240SX?

Thank you for any insight.

Mikey McFly
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I have Geico and they've always hooked it up for me and I've only been a customer for 2 years. We had my wife's 280Z on liability and we only paid about $40. They were quick and prompt in taking care of our issues. I didn't go with Progressive only because their political views conflict mine and I wouldn't want to support them and the people they support by being a customer.

Just remember to read EVERYTHING the provider is telling you. Don't just look at prices and decide from that. Most of the people that complain about a certain company didn't read their contract/the company's history and felt like they got gypped when everything they didn't know was clearly written down in black and white.

badbob2121
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
USAA is the shit

i pay like $17/month for liability for my s13 (but i also have full coverage on 2 other new cars, home owners, and some personal property all with USAA)

its worth getting a quote

slamburger
11-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Gieco, i pay 70 a month and have a little better then liability and my driving record is terrible.

FRpilot
11-08-2011, 04:01 PM
some places that i did an online quote for were state farm, all-state, mercury, and geico.

all-state and mercury seem to be cheapest bigger "reputable" brands. i'm sure there are small insurance companies too.

slydin240sx
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Geico's good in my book!

I'm 26 with one accident with no insurance and a few to many tickets and I pay roughly $51 a month for liability with sr22 coverage on my s14.

Matej
11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Before switching to a new company, I wanted to hear from State Farm one more time so I went to get a quote in person. It ended up being 55$ per month. I guess behind the fancy facades, all the companies are pretty much the same.
Now I just need to start school again and get the good student discount. :)

Flexin
11-08-2011, 06:01 PM
what office did you go to?? I pay 53/mo for my coupe and im a 17 year old with a ticket. It depends where you live so none of us can really help you unless we live in your zone

Daniel.
11-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Before switching to a new company, I wanted to hear from State Farm one more time so I went to get a quote in person. It ended up being 55$ per month. I guess behind the fancy facades, all the companies are pretty much the same.

Yup, the trick is keep switching insurance companies when your rates go up. In the bay area, I've found that most of the insurance companies offer very similar rates. YMMV

FRpilot
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM

good advice. i should call or accept the calls from all the insurance companies i get an online quote from to see if i can get a better rate. (i would go to their office, but they will probably be like a used car salesman and make it impossible for me to leave.) i know the online quotes don't factor in things like good driver discount that i should qualify for since i been clean from anything for probably the last 8 years.

Matej
11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
what office did you go to?? I pay 53/mo for my coupe and im a 17 year old with a ticket. It depends where you live so none of us can really help you unless we live in your zone
Yes, the rates are specific to one's address. That is why the quotes from most of the companies ended up being within a dollar of each other.

We had my wife's 280Z on liability and we only paid about $40.
The funny thing is, at first I was quoted 44$ per month, but then it turned out the insurance fellow accidentally put me down as a female. I always thought it was quite sexist that women get better insurance rates. I would like to see the statistics or know the reasoning thanks to which they receive such a drastic benefit.

S13 owners, make sure your insurance company knows that your car has automatic seat belts. There is a discount for it, if you are not receiving it already. :)

omgRWDgoodness!
11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Jesus, how do you guys get insured so cheap? Even before I had to get that crock-of-shit SR-22 policy, I was still paying $120/month for my '00 RAV4 on my mom's policy. I've only gotten one speeding ticket way back in like '07 and a few other unrelated BS tickets for suspended license (thanks again to SR-22 -___-) since. This thread makes me feel like I'm getting gouged hard.

And not going with an insurance company because of conflicting political views, really? Hypothetically, if they were cheaper than everyone else then who cares? That's like wanting pastrami but not going to a Jewish deli to get some simply because you're a Christian. You're not supporting Al-Qaeda or something, geez.

Daniel.
11-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe you had a lower deductible, or you had additional coverage added to your policy. Besides, you're 20 years old. When I was that old, my insurance was fuckin' expensive.

louiswilliams00
11-16-2011, 07:04 AM
You have to remember that a gap in insurance will probably raise your premiums. Still, if you’re making an don’t limit yourself to a couple of providers; there are several reputable companies out there. Look at companies like The Hartford that have been around for over a century and don’t need to resort to loud, flashy ads to keep their customers.