PDA

View Full Version : IT Stuff!

sftmb
11-05-2011, 11:07 AM
I didn't see any threads related to IT stuff. So, I figured I'll start one up. lol I currently work as a Systems Engineer for a japanese e-mail/web hosting company. most of our systems are Running the Red-Hat based CentOS. In short, that means Linux.:p

to get this thing started, I managed to get my VNC connection to my house to work over SSH the other day ^_^ It's worth tinkering around with since VNC is like FTP in the sense that it's sent via clear text. So, just about anybody can sniff your packets and pickup info.

Here's the command I used. Although instead of doing this manually you can use a utility like ssvnc to do the same thing.

[email protected] ~ $ ssh -t -L 5900:localhost:5900 [email protected] 'x11vnc -localhost -display :0'

Those interested in more info can do so here:

x11vnc: a VNC server for real X displays (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/)

silverarrow27
11-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Being in IT, you should understand that anything not encrypted is unsafe to use. You should try Cisco VPN or Shrew. Worse case scenario, try logmein.

sftmb
11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Being in IT, you should understand that anything not encrypted is unsafe to use. You should try Cisco VPN or Shrew. Worse case scenario, try logmein.

correct, hence the reason I used an SSH tunnel instead of leaving it as is with a password.

Yeah, logmein doesn't work with linux, and I felt a VPN wasn't really neccessary for what I needed to do. using SSH is a much simpler option I think. :p

tabasco122
11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
i love vnc, i use it to play wow from my phone while im in the crapper since rdp fails at directx stuff.

also, i guess you can say i work in IT, though i dont have any certs, i think its time i start getting them, considering i dont even have A+, even though i taught an a+ class in highschool...

sftmb
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
i love vnc, i use it to play wow from my phone while im in the crapper since rdp fails at directx stuff.

also, i guess you can say i work in IT, though i dont have any certs, i think its time i start getting them, considering i dont even have A+, even though i taught an a+ class in highschool...

nice! yeah, my home machine runs linux so I mostly use ssh and then VNC if I need to do something GUI wise.

Yeah, I don't have any certs, but I could easily pass an a+ and possibly the Linux+. IMO, if you have a decent amount of experience, an a+ isn't really worth it. Usually they're only good for entry level stuff. but anything higher might require experience + other higher end certs like CCNA,CCNP,LPIC, ect..