PDA

View Full Version : Formula One To Race In New Jersey In 2013

Gnnr
10-28-2011, 03:05 PM
FORMULA ONE - F1: Formula One To Race In New Jersey In 2013 (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-formula-one-to-race-in-new-jersey-in-2013/)

Formula One will compete in New Jersey beginning in 2013...
Associated Press | Posted October 25, 2011 Weehawken, NJ

New Jersey will host its first-ever Formula One Grand Prix race in 2013 on a course that winds along the Hudson River waterfront and offers striking views of the Manhattan skyline.

Auto racing officials and Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday announced a ten-year agreement to hold the race at a news conference in front of the Port Imperial ferry terminal, which will serve both as entry point for race-goers coming from New York and as the start-finish line for competitors.

The 3.2-mile course will run along the river through the towns of Weehawken and West New York, then climb uphill before looping back around in front of the ferry terminal. It features one hairpin turn and several other 90-degree turns. Promoters estimated drivers will reach speeds up to 200 miles per hour on the course's straightaways and about 60 to 80 mph on the turns.

Steve Matchett, a commentator on Formula One races for SPEED, called the course layout and views "absolutely staggering" and compared it to the famed Monte Carlo course for its proximity to water and its steep climb.

Leo Hindery, a founding chairman and former CEO of the YES Network who is promoting the race, said that aside from a pit area being constructed in front of the terminal, only temporary structures such as bleachers, 10- to 12-foot-high fences and concrete barriers will be erected and then removed after the race. Work will begin next year to resurface the road along the course, he said.

Read More (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-formula-one-to-race-in-new-jersey-in-2013/)

This is fucking epic. Two F1 races in the US! :bigok:

word sux
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
they have wanted to bring F1 to NY for awhile but things fell threw for monticello

this is going to be sickk!

tricky_ab
10-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I've been going to the F1 race at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal for ages. It's nice to have another course to hit up! ...I'd be down for a road trip to see this go down...

ManoNegra
10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Fuck, was hoping to get one in the west coast
New Jersey.... ugh

word sux
10-28-2011, 06:34 PM
cali is gay

of course f1 would not go there

ManoNegra
10-28-2011, 09:23 PM
lol, keep telling yourself that

Formula 1 ran in Riverside CA late 50s to early 60s
and the Long Beach Grand Prix was held 76 - 83
but you knew that right?

speedracer5
10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Dwm wth Jersey really are they on a low budget or something bwhahahah. should of came to cali

Gnnr
10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
The problem with getting it done in NY was too many tree-hugging environmentalist protested against the initial proposals.

I don't quite think green obsessed CA would have done better.

BustedS13
10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
lol, keep telling yourself that

Formula 1 ran in Riverside CA late 50s to early 60s
and the Long Beach Grand Prix was held 76 - 83
but you knew that right?

yeah, people used to wear parachute pants back in the day too, but you don't hear much about those anymore.

nomoremk2
10-28-2011, 10:07 PM
There are no staggering views in new jersey. This is cool though, I'll make the trip to spectate. What's up with all the nj hate? It's not all like jersey shore, I promise.

speedracer5
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
There are no staggering views in new jersey. This is cool though, I'll make the trip to spectate. What's up with all the nj hate? It's not all like jersey shore, I promise.

i kid i kid i know there is a shitty side and a good side im just hatting cause my stupid ass ex is from jersey scandals girl cheated on me. :facepalm:

ManoNegra
10-28-2011, 10:29 PM
yeah, people used to wear parachute pants back in the day too, but you don't hear much about those anymore.

what do you mean used to??
two words: Venice Beach

but the point is that there is history here
blah blah blah heart of US car culture
blah blah blah world class tracks

Austin, sure I get it
but with all due respect, why the fuck would anyone want to go to NJ?
if I remember correctly Busted, you haven't made any threads contemplating a move there

Matej
10-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Hopefully they will not make it all artificial and overly safe like every motorsport in the US today. It better be fast and unsafe, with lots of turns and hazard, plus danger.

BustedS13
10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Austin, sure I get it
but with all due respect, why the fuck would anyone want to go to NJ?
if I remember correctly Busted, you haven't made any threads contemplating a move there
1. good memory
2. i'm just messin'

Hopefully they will not make all artificial and overly safe like every motorsport in the US today. It better be fast and dangerous.

http://i.imgur.com/JhzWs.jpg

ManoNegra
10-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Hopefully they will not make all artificial and overly safe like every motorsport in the US today. It better be fast and dangerous.

what, two deaths this year not enough for you?

deolio
10-28-2011, 10:53 PM
i hope they have the cast of the jersey shore wandering around the track while the race is going on to make things interesting.

90hatchie
10-29-2011, 12:37 AM
they have wanted to bring F1 to NY for awhile but things fell threw for monticello

this is going to be sickk!

monticello got mad at us at d-up drifting for getting tire marks on there track and a few cars going off track and messing up there grass
they would blow there heads open if F1 were to come

zo0d
10-29-2011, 12:57 PM
This is going down in my hometown. I'm beyond f'g excited.

The track that they have selected will be awesome. It should def. be an interesting race.

My friend lives in an apt. building near one of the uphill right handers that leads to a straight. I'll be camping it on his balcony, lol.

This event is going to beyond F' our small little town over. I wonder where they are gonna set up the pit crews and what not.

WanganRunner
10-30-2011, 07:17 AM
NJ is only a 3-4 hour drive for me, so I will absolutely be going to this.

2013 is a long time though.

BustedS13
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
monticello got mad at us at d-up drifting for getting tire marks on there track and a few cars going off track and messing up there grass

THEIR, you JERK

HyperTek
10-30-2011, 10:29 AM
bbc did a cool clip on f1 in texas last night
pPzif4pBwG4

blueshark123
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
awesome my girl lives it that town

word sux
10-30-2011, 05:42 PM

they would not have cared if we had money

but we don't because we are broke ass drifters

monticello is a shithole (the city) and not worthy of an f1 race, thats pretty much why they turned it down. Plus, it would have cost monticello billions of dollars to make it acceptable and they were not willing to spend the money.

BustedS13
10-30-2011, 06:17 PM
bbc did a cool clip on f1 in texas last night
pPzif4pBwG4

mark your calendars, the first race is June 17 2012

!Zar!
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
IRL and FormulaD raced in San Jose, California for a few years which was pretty snazzy. Plus we have MotoGP.

Sadly there aren't any world class tracks here that would work well for Formula 1.

Gnnr
10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
mark your calendars, the first race is June 17 2012

Actually the Austin GP has been moved to the weekend of November 18, 2012 as they realized that June was going to be hot as fuck in TX.

Karlitos
10-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Actually the Austin GP has been moved to the weekend of November 18, 2012 as they realized that June was going to be hot as fuck in TX.

Beat me to it

IRL and FormulaD raced in San Jose, California for a few years which was pretty snazzy. Plus we have MotoGP.

Sadly there aren't any world class tracks here that would work well for Formula 1.

And this, we have Seca that's FIA i think but its too small for F1. Infineon is another "pro" level track but it wouldn't work for F1 either. PBIR is another good track but it would be boring for F1. Thankfully both Austin and the NJ street circuit layouts look very promising.

ManoNegra
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
It was funny the short interview with Ernie during BBC's Qualy coverage
he confirmed the 2nd US race but kept referring to it as NY though... huh

negrosx13
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
this is great for the east coast but sadly i wont be in the east. Ill be in watching the austin gp in person