PDA

View Full Version : wiring gurus quick question..

paintkilz
10-10-2011, 03:09 AM
ok guys my harness had a short in it so I pulled it from the car. it previously shorted out my ecu and i noticed i could wiggle a couple wires and power to the ecu would become intermittent.

so once i pulled it, i started probing for continuity.

WELL i went through all the grounds on the ECU side of the harness. I could trace all sensor grounds and the few ECU grounds to the 2 grounding points on the head(f20 grounds).

that would be correct right?

i assume it is but this is where my question comes in. My ecu ground has no continuity with either of the 2 f20 grounds.

i assume i found my first short? or does it not ground there?

sorry if this is noobish. im trying to do all i can and find out whatever before i posted this.

thanks for your time guys

theboy
10-10-2011, 06:13 AM
what motor is the harness for? what chassis? Your going to have to provide more information if you want help.

paintkilz
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
KAE in an S13

Brok3n_RB25
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Make sure that when you plug in your harness that the dash connector gets plugged in all the way. That had me chasing ghosts for a long time. I finally realized that the latch that holds the connector together wasn't fully seated and I could wiggle it loose enough to drop power to the ECU. I was so pissed when I found out it was something so simple. Just a side note, if you have no continuity through grounds, then that could definitely be an issue. A short to ground on a strictly ground circuit won't do anything, unless it's intermittent.