PDA

View Full Version : Japanese auto importer

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 09:12 AM
So I'm trying to figure out how to import a classic japanese car (TE72 corolla, PGC10, KPGC10, K-GC10 skylines and the sort.) into the US. I've searched on the forum for any threads related to this and have only found an excellent writeup on how to export a car as a parts vehicle from Japan (which I may do if I have to). But I'm lookingmor for a trustworhty company to locate and import a vehicle for me. If anyone has any info I would be very happy.

BustedS13
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
basically what you do is talk on the internet about all the cool old bullshit you'd like, and then never do it because it's a prohibitively expensive waste of money.

edit: and then illegally import whatever you want from Canada.

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
basically what you do is talk on the internet about all the cool old bullshit you'd like, and then never do it because it's a prohibitively expensive waste of money.

edit: and then illegally import whatever you want from Canada.

Basically what you do is shit on what one person will do because he wants to do it and follows his dreams...

And there is no illegally importing a car that is over 30 years old, there really arent any regulations for classic cars to be imported to the US. It all comes down to finding said car.

And although I know the easiest way to import a classic japanese car would be to go to Japan buy said car and put it into a container and ship it over, I am prohibited from doing so because I'm in Afghanistan. I will do this if I have to when I get back home from this deployment, but I'd much rather like to have the car already at my house.

What have we learned here today? We've learned that although you may think you know everything about every single person on the internet, you truly know nothing about who I am what I've done or what I can do. You sit behind your computer and crack on people because you're to afraid to jump out of your comfort zone, take a leap and do something simply for the fact that you want to do it.

Moral of the story: Don't speak about things you know nothing of. :fawk:

simmode1
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
What have we learned here today?
This is Zilvia?

But seriously, good luck. And post pics when you get something. You know we wanna see that shit...lol

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
This is Zilvia?

Haha yes this too. I expected someone to respond like BustedS13 did, and it honestly doesn't bother me, I enjoy the flame battles on Zilvia I've been on here long enough to understand them and expect them.

I honestly have no issues with BustedS13, never had in the past. I just enjoy flame battles.

docslide
10-04-2011, 11:16 AM
what have we learned here today?

this is sparta!

tricky_ab
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I hope you have deep pockets because clean classic Skylines are a mint. Even the crappy one are costly.

Take a look for some importers online. There's a ton of Canadian ones on the net, and some of them deal with the US.

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I know the skylines are wicked expensive, but I didn't say that that was the only vehicle I'm interested in, I just gave a few examples of some I'd like.

I've looked for importers online, but I don't know who is trustworthy that was kinda the focus of this post.

thefro526
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Not sure why so much trolling in this thread. Not really that un-achievable of a goal to own a JDM classic.

Check out these guys: JDM Legends - Vintage Japanese Car Sales and Restoration (http://jdmlegends.com/)

They do sales, restorations and all that fun stuff.

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 11:36 AM
thefro526
Thank you, perfect answer to my original question

tricky_ab
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I know the skylines are wicked expensive, but I didn't say that that was the only vehicle I'm interested in, I just gave a few examples of some I'd like.

I've looked for importers online, but I don't know who is trustworthy that was kinda the focus of this post.

I see that you mentioned a few cars. I picked the most popular one from the list...

Anyways, these guys are local and have a US operation. They've imported a ton of mint cars for people all over Canada. Give them a shout...

www.rightdriveusa.com (http://www.rightdriveusa.com)

silentstyle1
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Ttricky ab

Thank you as well.

BustedS13
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
tl;dr

i can't wait to see the classic Japanese automobile you choose to import.

DriftN00b
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM

if being a douche on zilvia makes you cool then consider me miles davis

LoneStarSilvia
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Damn, that JDM Legends place looks like they really have their shit together, but they don't list prices from what I've seen. I'd be almost scared to ask, some of their stuff looks to be in excelelnt condition.

Edit: I might have to try to squeeze back a car, $40k+ for some of these classics goddamn. I'd be surpirsed if I could even get $10k for my Z back in the States.

HyperTek
10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I think these are just hopes and dreams. Im sure there are tons of guys in the military who want to bring a car over.. I think if your in the military there are loop holes ?

Detroit.Tee.Tee
10-04-2011, 09:38 PM
No loop holes. All vehicles have to meet emissions and DOT standards. However classic vehicles have their own category.

Chrischeezer
10-04-2011, 09:38 PM

lol, u crack me up...

but he does have a point, think about how many people talk about buying some old nostalgic jap car... it can be insulting to people that actually devote all their time to actively working with these cars.

I'm not saying you won't have the balls to buy a car, just stating why people would have that point of view.

nun the less..
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cw79SdKMCeY/TVGR5vfKcQI/AAAAAAAAAEc/T0br3ZAa6gc/s640/silKGC10.jpg

LoneStarSilvia
10-05-2011, 01:35 AM
I think these are just hopes and dreams. Im sure there are tons of guys in the military who want to bring a car over.. I think if your in the military there are loop holes ?

In SOME cases the military will ship a car for free and you can bring a car back that's older than 25 years according to American law, military may have another rule. I had plans to take my American Z to Japan with me and bring it back and the military rule was that it'd have to be make before 1978, mine is a '72, but in the end I said fuck it and left it in Texas so atleast it wouldn't rust up out here.

Problem is though is that people out here know how much classics mean to most American's and will jerk your leg about it. If you do find one on the cheap, it needs a butt ton of work and restoring. Watch what happens to the price of '89 GT-R's.

I say fuck it though, if you've got the cash to through and want something unique, I wouldn't stop ya, and I'd probably leg hump if the end product was a very nice and tasteful classic, just don't expect it to be cheap just because it's from Japan, not everything here is a bargain.

silentstyle1
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
It's true, it very well may be hopes and dreams. It also may be me finally doing something I've wanted to do since I first started building Nissans. Thats why I was looking for companies that import, that way I could weigh my options and see if it's a good idea.

I know that if I find one on the cheap its gonna be haggard, but luckily I know how to do body work and I've resotored cars before I'm not looking to buy one thats in mint condition, I'm looking for something to work on in my spare time that I'll enjoy working on and that I'll be happy with.

After some of the responses I've recieved in this thread I think I have a good idea of whats involved in getting one and it's honestly not as unattainable as some of you might believe.

ZilviaKid
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
just buy an old ass celica from your own country, old car looks, cheap as shit prices.

Ramonesfreak2010
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Watch what happens to the price of '89 GT-R's.
That's what I fear... They're gonna go up like crazy!

tricky_ab
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Well I guess I should scoop on up on the cheap now, and sell it to an American for double huh?

LoneStarSilvia
10-06-2011, 06:14 PM
That seems to be the general plan around here.

simmode1
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
just buy an old ass celica from your own country, old car looks, cheap as shit prices.
^^^This. Classic JDM Mustang FTW.

towlie
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
It's not a matter of HOW

It's simply a matter of $$$

craigslist: canada - classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/ca)

slider2828
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
First maybe learn some Japanese or how to translate. Then go to Google (http://www.google.co.jp) and look for car auctions in osaka and japan. Pretty much the two major hubs for 2nd hand used cars. You will get the idea of how much its worth, then tag on about 5-7 grand on top of that...

Then you have to look for a Japanese Dismantler to take apart your car and pack it up into a container. Reason is it will take you forever to clear a whole car with engine and fluids all intact. Probably impossible, so you have to import the car as parts only. So engine and all that stuff need to be out of the car.

Then import tax, shipping and onshoring costs, then you gotta get someone at the port to ship it to you and then you have a grand old time assembling the car back together again.

Only real way to get it... You might be able to get a kit car or a grey market car badge, but those are getting really rare. Probably easier just to hang a dealer plate on the back.

Whole process will take you around 6 months. Shipping is about 4 weeks then depending where you are, LA/LB and Oakland are the major ports from Japan. You can ship it to Florida too but add on 2-3 more weeks and about a couple of hundred....

I know the business very well, but the exchange rate is crappy, so yeah, its very expensive. Ask any JDM parts importer or JDM import, they are hurting right cause the exchange is so bad.....

If you have any questions you can ask me and if you are serious and have money upfront, I know someone that could get you what you need. But it always comes down to trust and how long you can have your money tied up.

As a final part, don't expect to see any car for about 9-12 months. Cause finding a car, like something like that old is hard to find and in good condition. I've seen more heartbreaks than anything cause the car looks great in pics, but there are rust everywhere, or its not a real Hakosuka GTR, most likely a 2 door bla bla bla but rebadged.... Stuff like that....

Ramonesfreak2010
10-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Well I guess I should scoop on up on the cheap now, and sell it to an American for double huh?
Wow thats a great idea. Shit. I'm in the states, but I know someone (a close family friend) who lives in Canada. haha

Maybe they'll let me store it until 2014. haha