PDA

View Full Version : Smog in Cali, Any1 have an idea of what it could be?

darkslide92
10-03-2011, 03:37 AM
so my car passes everything except for nox at 15mph as usual 240 issue, but i was just curious of what people think could be the issue. i'm going to re cliean the egr tubing, and i've already cleaned out the pors that lead off the egr on the engine.

linked to the post i have my smog results

Chaluska
10-03-2011, 07:07 AM
most definitely restricted EGR, take out the assembly, check all vaccum hoses, and clean out the EGR valve... also check the egr metal pipe from the header to the egr valve. You either have a leak, or a restriction

NOX = EGR

Tw1st3dm3ch
10-03-2011, 11:45 PM
He's right nox is a egr problem. Make sure you're getting vacuum to the egr also, rev the engine and see if you get vacuum at the hose to the egr.

darkslide92
10-04-2011, 03:13 AM
most definitely restricted EGR, take out the assembly, check all vaccum hoses, and clean out the EGR valve... also check the egr metal pipe from the header to the egr valve. You either have a leak, or a restriction

NOX = EGR

How do you remove the metal pipe from the header, I always hear people having a hard time with it. The egr is brand new, but I'll check it out anyways. Thanks for the info I'll get back to you on how the parts looked

darkslide92
10-04-2011, 03:16 AM
He's right nox is a egr problem. Make sure you're getting vacuum to the egr also, rev the engine and see if you get vacuum at the hose to the egr.

Which hose is the one creating the vacuum?

Bluewind
10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I had the same issue when I was KA .was not interested in fixing anything since I knew the engine was going to go someday.. . so I got the numbers to pass by changing to new spark plugs, and putting 5 gallons of 100 octane .. (gas tank was nearly empty so it was almost pure 100) made sure I drove the car a little bit before the test.. and it did .. was good for another 2 years .. this of course was when 100 octane was $5 a gallon, i have no idea what it is now since 91 is $4 ...

darkslide92
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh okay, well I have some pretty new spark plugs and I think it's around 8/gal by me. But what was your timing at? When I had it retarded I got it down to 850ppm 15 but when I put it back to stock, it went up.

SUPERSTAR
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
If you had NOS, it would pass.

Brian04
10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Got the same issue with both my 240s. Went to the DMV and got an extension for my registration, so now i have big red numbers on both. Lame.

Just don't have enough time to take apart and clean two EGRs. I'll get around to it sometime....

darkslide92
10-05-2011, 01:39 AM
yeah my last extension just expired -__- so thats why i'm really trying to get it done now. i wasnt that diligent about because i didnt have money to fix it, and i wasnt too worried due to having the red sticker

tapdeznutz
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
im interested...did u get ur shit passed was it the egr??

darkslide92
12-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Actually no, because my clutch went out so I have to put my trans back in first. But I know how to get it to pass. And my egr is good because we vacuum tested it. But what I'm going to do is bypass the bpt valve so the gr gets direct manifold vacuum thus causing it to stay open. It gives a crappy idle, but keeps the gasses recirculating at low speed also so it should be all good. I'll post what my results where by maybe early jan at the latest.

VertTwins
12-20-2011, 07:29 AM
look at your O2 content. at 15mph you have high O2 at .07%. This indicates you have an exhaust leak. If you have an exhaust leak the BPT may not close the vaccum vent since there is not enough back pressure in the exhuast or the oxygen is coming in before the cat and flooding it with O2 preventing it from doing its job. In the later case I would think your other numbers would be a bit higher since it may screw with the O2 sensor. Try to find your exhaust leak.

darkslide92
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I did find an exhaust leak. It's pre cat but post O2

darkslide92
12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
@bigrobg21 my car can't illegal smog cause the idiot before me tried sniffing it 6times in a month and a half period, this making it a gross polluter.

tapdeznutz
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
@bigrobg21 my car can't illegal smog cause the idiot before me tried sniffing it 6times in a month and a half period, this making it a gross polluter.

WHAAATT an idiot

darkslide92
12-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah I know -_-

darkslide92
12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
@VertTwins That's one of the best observations I've heard. No one really mentioned anything about my O2 levels.

VertTwins
12-23-2011, 06:29 AM
I am a smog tech...I have a slightly unfair advantage with my training...lol

And before any of you yahoos ask...no I do not do illegal smogs. Not even on my own rides (all 4 of them) The financial and penal risks are just not worth it. Most of the time the parts cost to fix it are not too bad. It usually ends up being something relatively minor unless you are running illegal crap in your car.

tapdeznutz
12-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I am a smog tech...I have a slightly unfair advantage with my training...lol

And before any of you yahoos ask...no I do not do illegal smogs. Not even on my own rides (all 4 of them) The financial and penal risks are just not worth it. Most of the time the parts cost to fix it are not too bad. It usually ends up being something relatively minor unless you are running illegal crap in your car.

weird...well that didnt help much

mhubble91
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Just want to throw this out there, as Verttwins will most likely agree, being he's a smog tech.. high NOX can mean you're running hot (lean)...

mhubble91
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Also, check your PCV valve... Remove from the valve cover and shake it. If it makes a rattling or clicking noise it is good. If.no click/rattle, it is clogged.

VertTwins
01-05-2012, 05:05 AM
I do agree. all your numbers do indicate a lean mixture. CO is flat, HC are very low. The PCV could be a problem but you need to resolve the exhaust leak first. Fix what you know is wrong that can effect emissions readings first. Also by the way that test for pcv valve is not always accurate. I have had some rattle when in my hand and being shaken but stick when in use. Pinching the hose off during diagnosis on the machine resolved a excessive flow problem on those.

180boy
01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
best way to check your egr is to have someone get in the car with the engine running and have them rev the motor quickly and have someone else check if the EGR diaphram moves at all. My friend here is San Diego told me thats a way to fix it if there is no vacuum. Hes gunna show me what he did exactly this next thrusday. He told me that you run a vacuum line from the intake near the throttle body somewhere then run it to the EGR assist assembly.

tapdeznutz
01-27-2012, 08:54 PM
nice i need this info my CEL keeps telling me EGR code

darkslide92
01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I was going to do that also. Friend say that's how he passes 240's and it guaranteed to pass for nox

180boy
01-29-2012, 03:31 AM
it works great! my friend show me his smog results after he fixed it but he still hasnt showed me exactly how its done yet.

S14Odin
01-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I've got a question my car is coming from az to cali how stupid are they about supermarket exhaust

180boy
01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
if you anything that is loud or looks aftermarket they pull you over

zerodameaon
01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Not true. If your an idiot they will but if your respectful and calm you will be fine. I dailyed a RB25 hatch for two years in San Diego and never once got pulled over. My buddy in his KA got pulled over all the time because he was always being stupid. Hell even the car i have now has just a NA KA and a ApexI N1 and its loud as hell but I have only been pulled over once and that was just to check if I had a cat.

For the question at hand though:
trouble passimg smog on your KA? Look here (http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/372184-trouble-passimg-smog-your-ka-look-here.html) Try this too. The pics have died but if you know anything about cars you should be able to figure it out. Also on your EGR valve if you push up on the bottom of the diaphram it will kill the car if its working correctly. The car MUST BE AT IDLE (700rpm).
Idle Adjust procedures on KA24DE 240sx with pictures. (http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413-idle-adjust-procedures-ka24de-240sx-pictures.html)

Also i don't mean to be a jerk or anything but this should be posted in the small questions and answers thread.

S-Nation S13
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Not true. If your an idiot they will but if your respectful and calm you will be fine. I dailyed a RB25 hatch for two years in San Diego and never once got pulled over. My buddy in his KA got pulled over all the time because he was always being stupid. Hell even the car i have now has just a NA KA and a ApexI N1 and its loud as hell but I have only been pulled over once and that was just to check if I had a cat.

For the question at hand though:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/372184-trouble-passimg-smog-your-ka-look-here.html Try this too. The pics have died but if you know anything about cars you should be able to figure it out. Also on your EGR valve if you push up on the bottom of the diaphram it will kill the car if its working correctly. The car MUST BE AT IDLE (700rpm).
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413-idle-adjust-procedures-ka24de-240sx-pictures.html

Also i don't mean to be a jerk or anything but this should be posted in the small questions and answers thread.

Not true either:blah:..I drive my car like a granny, ask anyone that knows me, it doesn't matter if you drive like an idiot or drive like a granny..If a cop is itching to give tickets..you will get one..you can not base your situation as a bases for all aftermarket individuals..its up to the cops and not you..slap anything on other than oem ..you run the risk..point blank enough said..this has been asked so many times...there is no real answer..except for what the piggy says..

Btw I run Greddy ti-c with the silencer and still got pulled over..been reffed once at 90.4db Cali allows up to 95db so you tell me why the fuck did I get a ticket..

180boy
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
thanks s-nation!!! my friends dad is a chp officer and anything that looks modified they have the right to pull you over for especially if it is loud. BUT!!!,,, if you have legalization paperwork for whatever exhaust system you have that states that the system is 1. under 95 decibels 2. 50 state legal CARB approved device. THEN it legal. Cops are pretty "Whatever" SOMETIMES but they DO have the right to pull you over and check. I got pulled over for my exhaust before and i had just bolt on tips on a oem muffler to make it look like BOSO tips. So DEPENDS on the cop.

zerodameaon
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Not true either:blah:..I drive my car like a granny, ask anyone that knows me, it doesn't matter if you drive like an idiot or drive like a granny..If a cop is itching to give tickets..you will get one..you can not base your situation as a bases for all aftermarket individuals..its up to the cops and not you..slap anything on other than oem ..you run the risk..point blank enough said..this has been asked so many times...there is no real answer..except for what the piggy says..

Btw I run Greddy ti-c with the silencer and still got pulled over..been reffed once at 90.4db Cali allows up to 95db so you tell me why the fuck did I get a ticket..

Well your unlucky. General rule though act nice you get ignored act a fool and your screw
And you cant use yours as a basis according to your standards. Who do I know that knows you?

S-Nation S13
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Well your unlucky. General rule though act nice you get ignored act a fool and your screw
And you cant use yours as a basis according to your standards. Who do I know that knows you?

how is that a general rule..how you suppose to act nice while driving..i wanst using any standard but unfortunately you are still...only rule that exist is that no matter what if a cop wants to give you a ticket bend over and take it..bc its up to him and not you..exactly word for word to what i said...there is not standard to get away from that.. bc its up to the cop..

get out of here with that drive nice bs doesnt work..and should never be the basis to say how not to get a ticket..wanna know how not to get an exhaust modification ticket..bitch ride a bike...peddal bike to be exact..

Touge Noob S13
01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
how is that a general rule..how you suppose to act nice while driving..i wanst using any standard but unfortunately you are still...only rule that exist is that no matter what if a cop wants to give you a ticket bend over and take it..bc its up to him and not you..exactly word for word to what i said...there is not standard to get away from that.. bc its up to the cop..

get out of here with that drive nice bs doesnt work..and should never be the basis to say how not to get a ticket..wanna know how not to get an exhaust modification ticket..bitch ride a bike...peddal bike to be exact..

Is the front of your car a different color than the rear?

S-Nation S13
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Is the front of your car a different color than the rear?

ha! yes

YOUR next question(s).....

1. am i asian: yes
2. do i have stickers: yes (but not bombed)
3. is my car lowered: yes (not slammed)

if your trying to say that bc my "car is different colors" so thats why i got my ticket then..you my friend are the same as the last individual..you can not base anything on just drive "NICE!!"..its up the to cop..and the last time i checked having stickers as long as they do not block your view of driving is ok..and broke people like me who cant afford a paint job is ok to..cops give ticket bc they feel you have violated certain vehicle codes..

so please stop the its the color of your car..or the color of my skin...prove me wrong..find the violation codes..if not then im still correct as far as my argument goes..

Touge Noob S13
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
ha! yes

YOUR next question(s).....

1. am i asian: yes
2. do i have stickers: yes (but not bombed)
3. is my car lowered: yes (not slammed)

if your trying to say that bc my "car is different colors" so thats why i got my ticket then..you my friend are the same as the last individual..you can not base anything on just drive "NICE!!"..its up the to cop..and the last time i checked having stickers as long as they do not block your view of driving is ok..and broke people like me who cant afford a paint job is ok to..cops give ticket bc they feel you have violated certain vehicle codes..

so please stop the its the color of your car..or the color of my skin...prove me wrong..find the violation codes..if not then im still correct as far as my argument goes..

I was just going to end it at the color thing since the more shitty your car looks the more likely cops are to pull you over. Ive never been pulled over for anything relating to my car even with the aztec red paint job, bright red Bride bucket seat, stickers, and fobby looking dude behind the wheel.

S-Nation S13
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I was just going to end it at the color thing since the more shitty your car looks the more likely cops are to pull you over. Ive never been pulled over for anything relating to my car even with the aztec red paint job, bright red Bride bucket seat, stickers, and fobby looking dude behind the wheel.

Assumptions yet again..it all comes down to cop discretion ..point blank ...no matter what we say or how we act it will not save us ..when the piggy finally decides to flip the switches and slap that ticket on us like a cheap 2 dollar hooker...we just gotta take it like the cheap 2 dollar hooker he thinks we are..

zerodameaon
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I just thought about the most helpful answer there is. Bring the car to Cali, run what ever exhaust you have but keep the OEM one. If you get pulled over a lot switch back, get your tickets taken care of and find something quieter. If you dont get pulled over, WIN for you!

S14Odin
02-03-2012, 01:22 AM
I was actually referring to the smog laws not the cops

S-Nation S13
02-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Ha! If it ain't oem, or have proper smog eo#'s on non oe parts you my friend in the eyes of Cali are fucked..so that means any vato-zone intake pipes,any form of aftermarket headers,just be prepared to :bowdown:..

zerodameaon
02-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Well for that you are all right. Carb numbers are not needed for exhaust past the cat as there is nothing to affect emissions after it. You could have a straight pipe after the cat if you wanted as long as its under the decibel rating required by law. Best ways to pass exhaust wise are have a stock or CARB legal header, downpipes and cat, then have what ever you want past the cat. Smog techs don't care how loud your car is that's for the cops to cite you for, they only care about emissions.

S-Nation what are your comments about my above? Lets hear how I am wrong.