PDA

View Full Version : S14 alarm issues! ugh.

slydin240sx
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Okay so the factory alarm on my s14 is straight tripping. I can usually use the key to disable it in the driver door but it will not work now. I don't have the key fob. My car is now parked at mcd's and I can't get it started. I tried pulling the anti theft relay under the hood, swapping it with another, and disconnecting the battery. None of this has done any good. Also there appears to be some sort of relay under the steering column that's not hooked up and a few wires that are disconnected. I don't know what they or where they should go or if it was for some sort of aftermarket alarm that got removed? Does anyone know how I can bypass the factory alarm starter kill? Or disable the alarm altogether? I really appreciate any ones input. Thanks in advance.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Really? No one has any input?

fliprayzin240sx
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
You can send a signal on the factory alarm to turn it off. From the wiring diagram I have, the wire you're looking for is Green/Yellow under the dash. Theres a large plug with a clip on it thats roughly above/right of the hood release latch. Just not sure if its looking for a positive or a negative signal.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 09:15 PM
You can send a signal on the factory alarm to turn it off. From the wiring diagram I have, the wire you're looking for is Green/Yellow under the dash. Theres a large plug with a clip on it thats roughly above/right of the hood release latch. Just not sure if its looking for a positive or a negative signal.

Anyway you could post a picture of the diagram? Or link?

fliprayzin240sx
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
You dont need a diagram, just read the Viper 5901 thread in here. You're looking for one of the wires in there. Had to tie in the aftermarket alarm into the stock alarm so new one will arm/disarm the stock alarm.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I was just looking at that thread. I will go recheck in there. Thanks for the input man.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 10:18 PM
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/thaghosthunter/9db1c365.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/thaghosthunter/8ddd8abb.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/thaghosthunter/d129b78e.jpg

fliprayzin240sx
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Ooooh...those arent stock. Yah, your best bet would be to look for an stock S14 wiring diagram/FSM and start fixing the hack job.

Broadfield
09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
That black/yellow wire is your starter wire and it's cut in that picture where the relay splices in-line. You said you removed the relay, so did you unplug the relay from the socket or completely remove the relay and wiring? That black/yellow wire needs to be reconnected with itself or the car is not going to start. That relay was probably wired in as a poor man's starter kill.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
The way the relay is shown in the pic is how it was when I bought the car. But 98% of the time it woul start fine or allow me to use the key to disable it. Now nothin seems to work. I've since removed the relay and reconnected the factory wires the way they should be. The brown wire on the smart control unit harness has been cut since I bought it too. I don't know why it's clipped or what it go's too? Or what the clip on connectors were used for? Could they have been connected to the other wires on the relay? Toby I really appreciate your help here man! If anything you'll be the one that helps me to fix the issue.

Broadfield
09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
The way the relay is shown in the pic is how it was when I bought the car. But 98% of the time it woul start fine or allow me to use the key to disable it. Now nothin seems to work. I've since removed the relay and reconnected the factory wires the way they should be. The brown wire on the smart control unit harness has been cut since I bought it too. I don't know why it's clipped or what it go's too? Or what the clip on connectors were used for? Could they have been connected to the other wires on the relay? Toby man I really appreciate your help here man! If anything you'll be the one that helps me to fix the issue.

The brown wire is your unlock wire. That shouldn't really have any affect on the disarming of the OEM security since the OEM disarm wire is green/yellow... which comes from the driver's door lock cylinder. That way the OEM security will disarm by turning the key to the unlock position in the drivers door cylinder. Just remove any non OEM wiring/connectors and reconnect any OEM wires that were cut. If you get all of the wring back to what it needs to be, and it still doesn't start, then you are going to need a test light at the very least to start testing stuff... a digital multi-meter is preferred.

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
The brown wire is your unlock wire. That shouldn't really have any affect on the disarming of the OEM security since the OEM disarm wire is green/yellow... which comes from the driver's door lock cylinder. That way the OEM security will disarm by turning the key to the unlock position in the drivers door cylinder. Just remove any non OEM wiring/connectors and reconnect any OEM wires that were cut. If you get all of the wring back to what it needs to be, and it still doesn't start, then you are going to need a test light at the very least to start testing stuff... a digital multi-meter is preferred.

I'm going to try and remove all the connectors and make sure the connections are good, and then see if it will start. If not I'll get a good multi-meter to start testing. This whole situation doesn't make sense. It's been working just fine for it to just up and go a wall.

Broadfield
09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
This whole situation doesn't make sense. It's been working just fine for it to just up and go a wall.

Trust me, I have installed on over 25,000 vehicles in my professional career... I have seen it all! Stuff will just stop working for no reason. Anytime aftermarket equipment/wiring is added incorrectly to a vehcile, problems can arise out of thin air. I say incorrectly because of the use of t-taps like pictured in your car... that's not the proper way. Soldering would be the correct way. T-taps, Scotch locks, butt connectors etc. can come loose over time and fail intermittently or fail permanently. I'm going to ask the obvious: do you by chance have a dead battery?

slydin240sx
09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Trust me, I have installed on over 25,000 vehicles in my professional career... I have seen it all! Stuff will just stop working for no reason. Anytime aftermarket equipment/wiring is added incorrectly to a vehcile, problems can arise out of thin air. I say incorrectly because of the use of t-taps like pictured in your car... that's not the proper way. Soldering would be the correct way. T-taps, Scotch locks, butt connectors etc. can come loose over time and fail intermittently or fail permanently. I'm going to ask the obvious: do you by chance have a dead battery?

I understand what your saying and I trust your word! I knew you were the man when it comes to this stuff. My battery is not dead, cause I have power to everything. All lights work, my electric fan, radio, everything. Whatever is happening is something stupid, because after I had my car towed home, I went inside for maybe 20 mins then came back out to snap a few pics but before I took the pics I tried to start my car and it started right up like normal. I was like hm. So I shut it off, waited a second then started it again. It fired right up! I did this a few times and it kept starting. So I went for a drive. Drove around for a few then came back home. Went inside for a couple hours, came back outside to go wash my car at the car wash. Same shit again.... all power no start. When this first happened I went to McDonalds went inside bought some food came back out and I couldn't get my car started. I tried the key trick, the relay ect ect and it would not start. I had to leave it over night at Mcd's. I'm glad I don't live in a big city or I woulda literally slept with my car. As of now though I have the car back at home. I had it towed home earlier today after having no luck getting it started. But then it starts after I got it home, and now back to NOT starting.

nujabe
10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
i would have it towed to a shop let them figure it out... i removed my alarm from my last s14 and theres no way im going to put it in. i would just get a new alarm for 100 bucks at one of your local shops call it a day. i think your insurance company can even reimburse you for your tow.

AutechKouki
10-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Might not even be alarm related, could be your starter going out.

slydin240sx
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Might not even be alarm related, could be your starter going out.

Exactly what I thought after trying other known tactics to disable the factory alarm. So I went ahead and purchased a brand new starter from another member on here. Just gotta wait for it to be shipped! I can almost bet it's my starter and not my alarm....

slydin240sx
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Just got the starter off my car and had it tested at Carquest and they confirmed that it's garbage! Guess it wasn't alarm problems but a dead starter... Doh!