PDA

View Full Version : snow driving...

aznpoopy
12-02-2003, 09:45 AM
its snowing in new york city right now... someone give me tips for an icy rush hour commute :( 12pm snow (not sticking) + 5pm temperature drop = 5pm icy conditions + snowy slush? i wish i had bought snow tires last weekend. im on all seasons rite now :X

i think its gonna be a crappy winter...

old_s13
12-02-2003, 10:12 AM
2nd gear starts and being very easy with your gas, brake, and steering.

HiPSI
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
be as soft on all of your inputs as you can, clutch, steering, and braking. i usually turn my radio way down or off too to listen for any sudden changes in sound like the engine suddenly revving (i'm wierd like that, i never watch the tach, i pretty much always shift by sound/feel) or the crunching of ice.

s13driver
12-02-2003, 11:52 AM
i've been driving back and forth bet. the city and long island last year on my crappy all season tires(less than 50% thread left too), blown shock, open differential. i can tell you driving in snow is not as bad you can imagine. there are few things to keep in mind.
1. easy on the gas pedal ex. slow acceleration.
2. be gentle when you brake and give yourself at LEAST twice or even more stopping distance ex. when normally it takes 3 cars length to stop now give yourself at least 6 or more car length before you brake.
3. DO NOT down shift braking/engine braking or whatever you want to call it.
4. drive under the speed limit whenever you approach a ramp
and lastly don't panic if something screws up

STIwish
12-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Buy a winter beater and garage the 240... I live in a ski resort town and I've seen too many hella nice rides get wrecked or hurt even when the snow conditions are 'fair'.

aznpoopy
12-02-2003, 01:38 PM
thanks for all ur suggestions... i've actually driven quite a few winters in my old 93 camry 5sp but this is the first season i'm driving a rwd so i'm a bit nervous. 2nd gear starts are good. engine revving is also good lol. revs up = tires slip :X right? no engine braking? i didn't know how it would handle in rwd. in my old fwd it helped alot with balance (light throttle offs). as for garaging the car... my car is far from nice lol. its an old beat up s14... i'm too poor to buy another car and rent a garage space somewhere. but i'm half scared and half excited for snow... it's a real test to see if u have what it takes to handle rwd. anyway i got lucky... it suddenly stopped snowing and now the skies are bright blue and clear... wtf? i think God is telling me to buy snow tires. thanks for teh advice.

rps13kid
12-03-2003, 08:04 AM
hahah once i got stuck in a parking lot with a 2 in of snow it sucked because there was only one entrance and that was up a litle incline...hahaha winter driving in a 240 sucks man..get a beater

ridebmx
12-03-2003, 04:58 PM
man i garauntee i couldnt even get my car to move from where its sitting right now. not that its buried, just zero traction. I have to decide where i want to store it.

SE-Rfornow
12-04-2003, 06:35 PM
-couple bags of gravel or sand in the back?? Weight to keep more traction in rear and if stuck... the gravel or sand can help with traction
-a few planks of wood if stuck also
-WINTER TIRES!!!!
-If suspension height is adjustable raise up to prevent snow plowing
-Other obvious suggestions that I'm sure others can provide

ridebmx
12-04-2003, 07:31 PM
or get your hands on a vintage 1979 chevette 4 door, 68hp rwd ownage. Thats what im rocking out this winter