PDA

View Full Version : 5 point harness

AlligatorBling
12-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Ive been thinking of getting a 5 point harness, id like to race my 240 at the track in Danville VA ... however; I have stock seats and my interior is stock... how exactly would I hook a 5pt setup in and make it work like that? Any help is appreciated.

old_s13
12-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Want harnesses? NEED CAGE.

Want 5-point? Racing seats are recommended, maybe even necessary, as they have an opening for the 5th point of the harness.

- Mike

JasonNagra
12-01-2003, 10:36 PM
First off I'd reccomend a roll cage. In terms of attatchment points you could use the rear seat belt mounting point as well as the side lap belt mounting points. For the the anit-sub (crotch) strap you will probably have to drill a hole under the seat somewhere. If you search around there are a lot of good threads on this site about installing and setting up the harness. A member named Tnord had a lot of good posts and he also did a write up about an install of a 5 point in his white S14 a while back.

stretch240sx
12-01-2003, 11:03 PM
if you use the 240 as a street driver, i wouldn't get a 5 pt. just becuase thats alot of crap to button every time you get in and out of the car.... is it possible not to strap the sub strap?

sykikchimp
12-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Harnesses aren't generally legal for street use. Scroth (sp?) is the only company I know that makes DOT legal 4-point harnesses.

Just like these guys said, it's not advisable to run a harness without at least a roll bar. If you get one, then make sure it has a harness bar built in to attach to.

old_s13
12-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by stretch240sx
if you use the 240 as a street driver, i wouldn't get a 5 pt. just becuase thats alot of crap to button every time you get in and out of the car.... is it possible not to strap the sub strap?

5pt is definately a lot of crap to put on. besides, i dont need a fifth harness to crush my jewels in an accident.

i have the schroth 4pt and ive never had a cop tell me "hey man, you're too safe on the street.. i am going to cite you for having too much safety."

:)

sykikchimp
12-02-2003, 12:50 PM
I've been told by many racers, and racing instructors that harness are a bad idea in a street car with no cage, and 4-points are only ok in driving situations like auto-x where there is minimal chance of flipping, or head on collisions with anything..

The problem with 4-points is they allow you to submarine under the belt in a head on collision. Bad situation as your Ribs, and internal organs can take a beating. Usually recollections of someone dieing from submarining, and causing internal bleeding are cited.

Of course, I believe Schroth has done a lot more R&D to prevent this type of occurance, and is the reason they are DOT legal. I personally would never run a 4-point, but if I did, it would be a Schroth.

big mike
12-02-2003, 01:07 PM
1. GET A CAGE!!- If you do any kind of racing, or you just like to push it throught the twisties, a cage is gonna save you ass bigtime. You roll over w/ no cage your'e gonna be toast-no butter.

2. 4-POINT ONLY!! Seriously. You smack somthing head on and with that fifth strap (also known as an anti-submarining belt) and you can say goodbye to johnny and the twins. Also, some racing leauges, and sub catagories within them will not allow five-points for just that reason. A four point will do everythig you need it to.

3. Racing seats are not necessary unless you are racing. ( I classify pushing it through the twisties as racing against yourself.)

4. All of this stuff is very expensive point-of-impact Foul Up Insurance. If you know what you are doing and can properly control your vehicle, you should not NEED any of it on the street. Until you hit the track or you are about to fall off the mountain, it's about half a step from dead weight.

sykikchimp
12-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by big mike
2. 4-POINT ONLY!! Seriously. You smack somthing head on and with that fifth strap (also known as an anti-submarining belt) and you can say goodbye to johnny and the twins. Also, some racing leauges, and sub catagories within them will not allow five-points for just that reason. A four point will do everythig you need it to.

I've been in a wreck in a 5-point. you DO NOT crush your nuts. But you WILL save your ass. it's called anti-submarine b/c if you don't have one, that's EXACTLY what you will do. Submarine UNDER the lap belt, and you will break ribs, and possibly cause internal damage to organs.

I could see a club not allowing 5-points for cars with no roll cage, but no other reason.

If your that worried about it, run a 6-point. Same work to put on as a 5-point, but generally more comfortable.

but please, NEVER say a 4-point is safer than a 5-point, b/c that is simply not true.

aznpoopy
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
as every1 else said, i think a rollcage is neccesary before a harness... if u flip the car and ur cabin decides to give way; ur not going to be able to move enough to save ur head... protect ur brains! lol. anyway if ur really interested in this stuffs u should get 1st: helmet 2nd: cage 3rd: harness + seat. correct me if i'm wrong.