PDA

View Full Version : Computer techies.

rancid240
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
I was trying to Install Win 98 on an old computer this weekend. It has Win 2000 on it and it is crapping-the computer is very very slow. Anyways I cant get win98 back on-it wont install while windows 2000 is running, whether it be safe mode etc. The problem is that I dont know how to get into MSDOS. If I press F8 during boot, I get all the options (safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc) but all the options will still load Windows2000-so that Win98 still wont be able to install. Is there any other way to get into MSDOS?

crioten
12-01-2003, 11:12 AM
yeah in win 2k to get to msdos go to start>programs>acc>command prompt

rancid240
12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
I need to be completely out of windows 2000. AKA in MSDOS only, the command prompt wont work because 2000 will still be running.

old_s13
12-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Thats an MS DOS prompt window, its not true MS-DOS. OS'es based on Windows NT (2k, xp, etc) dont use DOS at all.

If you want to install win98 (WinME is better, imo).. you're probably better off erasing the hard drive and going clean slate. Use a boot disk to access your Win98/ME CD or boot off the CD if your MB bios supports that.

- Mike

crioten
12-01-2003, 11:44 AM
lol, i didnt think to wonder why you needed msdos....

but yeah, you would be better off getting rid of everything on that HD, plus if the computer is old and slow it cant hurt to reformat that HD...

then make a boot disk like mike said

rancid240
12-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Is the boot disk is the only way to get into MSDOS to format the HD?

Also I tried looking for the bootdisk.bat or whatever file that makes bootdisks on the Win 98 cd and couldnt find it. Anywhere else I could source this?

fogleroller
12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
you need to FDISK the hard drive and remove the NTFS partition(s). Repartition to FAT32, then format

go to Bootdisk.com to make a bootdisk.

masta
12-01-2003, 06:02 PM
I wonder why you want to downgrade to Win 98? Can't you just reinstall Win 2000? I recommend you do that instead.

In any case like everyone has mentioned you need to make a Win 98 bootdisk which you can get at www.bootdisk.com get the right one for your Win 98 Version (ie. 2nd Ed, etc).

It will be a program that you download which will run and prompt you for a disk to be made in to a Win 98 bootdisk.

Boot off the bootdisk and choose the CD ROM support option if it asks (it depends on the type of disk you chose to make).

Then run FDISK to get rid of the NTFS partitions, and follow the menu prompts to make a new partition. Then reboot for it to be in affect.

Now here is a Win 98 tip I used to do so it will never ask you for the Win 98 CD again:

Go to the C drive - Type "C:"

Make a folder call win98 - Type "mkdir win98"

Go to the CD Rom - Type "D:" or whatever the CD-ROM is

Go to the win98 folder on the Win 98 CD - Type "cd win98"

Copy all files to the folder you made - Type "cp *.* C:\win98\"

Now run the Win 98 Setup - Type "../setup"

Sorry if you already know this but based on your posts I assumed what you needed to know. Also this is off the top of my head so some steps may be off. I have done around a 100 of these installations but the last one I did was 3 years ago so go figure. :rolleyes:

matlock
12-01-2003, 07:03 PM
I personally think that windows 98SE is far more stable than 2000 or ME. That is just my 2 cents

rancid240
12-01-2003, 10:53 PM
I would reinstall windows2000-but I think 2000 is what is slowing the computer down. I dont remember repartitioning the harddrive in the first place when I went from 98 to 2000-maybe that is why the computer is being so crappy? Or does Win 2000 setup automatically repartition the harddrive?

STIwish
12-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Man, stick with Win2k Pro, its THE most stable version of Windows released thus far when using NTFS, 98 was okay, and ME and XP make me sick. Win2k is probably not the culprit, it could be anything, from bad drivers to something as simple as running low on space for swap files.

aznpoopy
12-02-2003, 07:23 AM
hes running win2k on a *old* computer. its probably a combination of a slow processor, a slow fsb and not enough RAM. i used to run win2k on a p2 400mhz with 128RAM and it was naturally pretty slow. i added in another 128 and it was still slow; virtual memory swapping really sucks...

rancid... on that note what are the specs of ur computer? it might be a good idea for you to just buy a stick of RAM... for an old computer it should be cheap.

old_s13
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Win98SE and WinME are on the same level if you ask me, both are just as crappy.. saying one is better than the other is silly, they are both janky. BUT, I preferred ME more than 98SE. Some say 98SE is more stable, I personally dont think so.

Just because he has Win2k installed doesnt mean he HAS to have an NTFS partition, he could be still using FAT32, especially if he upgraded from a 9x platform.

SO, the best solution is to just nuke the drive and start over.

Find a friend with a 98 or ME machine, go to their control panel> add remove programs> there is a feature in that menu to make a boot disk.

Dont bother trying to re-partition with fdisk, format, or even copy the CD to your hard drive.. if you cant figure out what most people have said, doing that shit isnt going to be easy for you.

Just run the CD by either auto-booting it or going in dos to the CD drive (typically d:) and then typing "setup"

So...
1) make your boot disk
2) boot off boot disk
3) at prompt type "D:"
4) type setup

it would be good if you had a friend who knew something about PCs, this type of work usually confuses most people.. but fuckit, do your best and see if you can solve it.

- Mike

masta
12-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah I agree with most of you that the machine may have not been up to par with the hardware requirements. What are the computer specs?

Also the fact that you upgraded could be a cause of why it is slow, I recommend a fresh install in that case. You have almost nothing to lose but time. The installation is pretty much pop in the disk, press any key to boot it and follow the instructions.

If you do Win 98, I recommend doing the steps I listed because Windows will almost always ask you for the disk when installing new hardware or even software. It will just save you time and heart ache.

Win 2000 is the most stable MS OS I have used. I am only using XP just so I know it, since I am planning on a career in IT/IS.

old_s13: Yes you are right, you can have FAT32 which actually runs faster than NTFS, not as secure though. I just assumed the later because 99 out of 100 it will be probably be NTFS.

aznpoopy
12-02-2003, 01:41 PM
just thought: try using the bootdisk before u format... make sure ur cd-rom is working properly after a bootup from the bootdisk. i've had times where it wouldn't work after the bootdisk boot-up, and post-format is a bad time to find out u can't install ur OS from cd.

sykikchimp
12-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by matlock
I personally think that windows 98SE is far more stable than 2000 or ME. That is just my 2 cents

Than "ME" yes.. "2000".. no way. I work on 2K pro everyday, on over 500 workstations. I have personally installed it more than 1000 times. 2000 is the most stable MS OS you can buy, baring XP.

I know a lot of people don't like XP, but If you run active directory, and are an admin at a company like me.. it's a beautiful thing.

STIwish
12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
I agree whole heartedly with sykik, 2k Pro is the best thing since sliced bread as far as the MS world is concerned. Ive run it on just about every PC workstation ive ever administered. Ill repeat myself though, ME is utter crap :)

old_s13
12-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Funny how this guy's problem would literally take 3 seconds to overcome:

1) Remove hard drive
2) Link up to working Win9x PC
3) FDISK (if needed) and format main partition, make active
4) Copy over Win9x contents into installation/archive folder
5) Reinstall hard drive in previous PC
6) Setup /im /is /id /iq (or something like that, I forgot the switches)

Ah yes, the wonderful days of working with Win9x.

2000 is my favorite operating system, I very much dislike XP.. not that the operating system sucks, its awesome.. I just hate the extra million features such as the appearance, new layout, msn messenger, and new media player. It takes WAY too much time to reassociate everything and undo all the XP clutter.

Is it hard for Microsoft to understand that WinAmp 2.81 is better than ANY version of their Mp3 playing software? That ACDSee 2.41 is better than ANY Windows Image Viewing program? That the OLD search is better than the NEW search?

Ugh.

As for Active Directory, it gives me a headache.. but as an admin, it sure makes controlling users great, doesnt it? Configuring it takes quite a bit of time though. I setup an Win2k Server with AD network and its pretty stable, havent had it crash and its been up for over a year. It would suck if anything happened to that server. What do you guys use for backup solutions nowadays? I should probably make an image of the main hard drive on a secondary hard disk.

- Mike

sykikchimp
12-03-2003, 07:34 AM
We use tape, and/or redundant servers for everything thats important. We have multiple sites with multiple backup catalog and domain servers, so it's not such a worrisome deal. If one dies, another takes over it's duties immediately.

I've been moving away from the MS stuff though, and getting much more into the network side, and Cisco. My job is MUCH easier these days. ;)

F3600
12-03-2003, 08:08 AM
try to find a image from a bootdisk for win98...

1. stick it in the floppy boot on it ..
2. erase win2k by formatting the partition
3. install win98

voila
;)

rancid240
12-08-2003, 01:47 AM
done. thanks guys:)