PDA

View Full Version : Welders: Help me!!!

StryfeS13
09-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I just got a welder so I can learn how to fabricate and etc, it's a Hobart 125 gasless mig. Yeah yeah I know, it doesn't run on gas. But I'm a beginner and didnt wanna spend more than $500.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I'm having an issue with my auto-darkening helmet. It's a miller helmet, and the side of the helmet has a dial (9,11,13,etc), and inside the helmet there is a delay, and sensitivity setting.

My issue is that I can't see the puddle, all I see is the light. It's not like it's too bright, it's just that the flare of the light is blocking the puddle so I can't see it...is there any way to set this so I can see my puddle, like at the start of this video?

Mig Welding Lesson - Watch Your Stickout and Ground - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhRI4fyyF0)

atutt
09-17-2011, 05:56 AM
What is the helmet set at?

Otto347
09-17-2011, 09:38 AM
^^Sounds like the helmet isnt even on. With mine on 9 I can still see the puddle. Im not blinded by the arc.

atutt
09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
He's also working with gasless flux core. Flux core has a really bright arc to begin with.
So that probably isn't helping him.

Turn your helmet all the way up to it's darkest setting. IE 13. And work your way down. Unless you have a faulty lens, you should find a comfortable setting where you can everything.

Or buy your self a $0 Jackson fixed shade helmet with a 4.5'' x.5.25'' viewing area. And a #10 shade gold lens..... Best money I have ever spent on welding equipment. I doubt I'll ever go back to an auto darkening helmet (I'd rock any Jackson auto darken mind you). Especially those Miller pieces of shit. Never buy one.

***Edit...

Just read that you bought a Miller... I'm sorry to hear that :(

Otto347
09-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Or buy your self a $0 Jackson fixed shade helmet with a 4.5'' x.5.25'' viewing area. And a #10 shade gold lens..... Best money I have ever spent on welding equipment. I doubt I'll ever go back to an auto darkening helmet (I'd rock any Jackson auto darken mind you). Especially those Miller pieces of shit. Never buy one.

I used a pipeliner helmet a buddy had with a good lens in it and holy shit the difference was night and day over my auto dark.

atutt
09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
With a "good" lens or a "gold" lens? Lol

I started using gold lenses about 2 years ago. I'll never go back to shitty green.

The blue lenses are interesting. Hard to come by nowadays..
I still want one.

StryfeS13
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried the mask at different settings. It's not like i'm being blinded by the light lol, it's just the puddle is so hard to see...

I had it on 9, sensitivity low, delay min.

Now i'm gonna try 13 like atutt said, and work my way down till what is comfortable.

lawrenceyang
09-17-2011, 04:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/h9J0B.png

az_240
09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
^lmfao !!

'97 S14 SE Turbo
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
^
^
lol!!!

atutt
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Lawrenceyang do you frequent PBB???

didn't think I'd see many members from here on there...
That thread is certainly interesting.

StryfeS13
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Haha...

I got my mask all figured out...feels right @ 11. My problem was I just needed to look at the arc at an angle, and then I could see the puddle.

Otto347
09-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Haha...

I got my mask all figured out...feels right @ 11. My problem was I just needed to look at the arc at an angle, and then I could see the puddle.

Good deal, glad you got it figured out.

With a "good" lens or a "gold" lens? Lol

I started using gold lenses about 2 years ago. I'll never go back to shitty green.

The blue lenses are interesting. Hard to come by nowadays..
I still want one.

He told me it was a good lens lol, it was one of the blue ones you are talking about. It eliminated all of the arc and all you saw was the puddle. Its amazing how much better you can weld when you can see what youre doing lol.