PDA

View Full Version : Forum looks Great

KiDyNomiTe
11-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Good Job West and whoever else helped with it, it looks great.

I am assuming you are prolly gonna color match the top part, otherwise great job, its looking good.

EDIT: w00t w00t:w00t: :w00t: 3800th post

imma whore

fastpace
11-28-2003, 11:00 PM
yeah, the site is the shitniz. getting tired of the other one, going to apprecitate this for a long time.

Kreator
11-28-2003, 11:00 PM
ewww. personal opnion, this is way worse than it was b4.

West
11-28-2003, 11:01 PM
THANKS! :D

Ya, im going to be working on it more and more to make it look better and flow better, its a never ending project :hammer: hehe

I think the white it a little overwelming so ill fix that soon.

Also move the Online users to the bottom of the index page since it will get to big.

More to come soon, thanks for the compliments!

SimpleS14
11-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Pretty nice.....

GOOD JOB WEST!!! :aw:

West
11-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by 95KoukiS14
Pretty nice.....not use to seeing the sig on the far right...but its all good. :)

GOOD JOB WEST!!! :aw:

Just fixed that :D

SimpleS14
11-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by WeST
Just fixed that :D

haha...damn that was quick!

nocomedown
11-28-2003, 11:19 PM
looks nice, keep it up

GreyFox
11-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Love the new look (although it can be a bit confusing)

this is now definitely one of the pretiest forums ;)

nocomedown
11-28-2003, 11:39 PM
oh, just one quick suggestion:
the scroll bars are kind of hard to see (on my computer at least) which makes them a bit hard to use, but thats only a miniscule detail that i could learn to live with

hookedup240
11-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by nocomedown
oh, just one quick suggestion:
the scroll bars are kind of hard to see (on my computer at least) which makes them a bit hard to use, but thats only a miniscule detail that i could learn to live with

i agree......but otherwise looks great

wingsnthangs
11-29-2003, 12:00 AM
I liked the old look way better. The new one looks too blingy, and is it just me or it takes longer to load? So many fancy pantsy gradients and modules. The old one was practical, professional, more appealing to the eye with that cool blue, not blinding white. It looked more like a legitimate discussion forum than a techno robocop site.

I do applaud the admin for the design skills, but it is too flashy. Although I often find myself reluctant to change, I dont think I could ever get used to this. I hope you take my input as constructive criticism rather than personal offense.

NZO
11-29-2003, 12:24 AM
It LOOKS cool, but functionality is sacrificed and it loads a LOT slower on slower computers, Im guessing because of increased graphical content .

BadMoJo
11-29-2003, 12:56 AM
I bet after the colors get changed around a bit it will be better to look at. But everytime this board has changed its always taken me awhile to get used to it.... I think I might end up liking this one.

And yeah the gradients slow it down i think.

soulDistortion
11-29-2003, 01:24 AM
My two cents:

Get rid of the gradients. It slows things down way too much and serves no purpose.

Change the scrollbar colors. There isn't enough of a color break between the scrollbar track and the button itself to really distinguish either or. Actually, this goes for most everything else: there is very little color distinction in the icons; for example, the difference between a thread marked as unread, versus a thread that has been marked read.

For the love of god, get rid of those decorative graphics that surround each post in a thread. Threads are harder to read now that the posts don't flow one after the other. The space between each post makes it appear that it is the last one in the thread. Same goes for the text.

Remember, this forum board isn't supposed to be eye-candy, it's supposed to be informative. The new design, while it looks pretty, is very much impractical.

If the plan is to keep this style, at least have the option to go back to the old styleset.

-E-
11-29-2003, 01:28 AM
sweet the forum looks tight

DRFT
11-29-2003, 02:08 AM
loks good but a tad boring though, but i like it better than the old one

West
11-29-2003, 02:50 AM
Amazingly, this skin style is only 70kb with EVERY image in the skin. You only download about 20% of that. This skin is the same size as the old style... so its not slowing anything down. You all just hate change as always and are quick to criticize.

I will have the Old School style back in a few days so users can choose between the two. My masterful skills accidentally deleted that style so I need to get out my files to see how it was all set. But that might go away once we move to vb3 and a portal system.

Ill look into the scroll bar. Didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. That sux.

soulDistortion: I feel the same, each post in a thread shouldn't have the same border images, ill look into getting rid of those.

What gradients are you guys talking about? If you know anything about web images you would know a gradient is probably the smallest sized image you will come across on the web.

NZO
11-29-2003, 03:12 AM
so its not slowing anything down. You all just hate change as always and are quick to criticize.

Jeez I guess I was just lying about the site being slower because I dont like it :rolleyes: Were just trying to help here...:)

Got Sileighty?
11-29-2003, 03:21 AM
heres my 2 cents:
1) font is a little too small, i feel sorry for all the OG (aka OLD) zilvia members and their deteriorating vision hehehe jk :p
2) too much white on the screen, kinda blinding
3) scroll bar -- already mentioned
4) the design around each post looks cool, but kinda clutters everything up...whats the word....ummmm busy. each page looks too busy

good job though! :D

old_s13
11-29-2003, 04:52 AM
Take my opinion for whatever its worth, but I agree with several of the comments made.

1) Scrollbar color issue sucks ass, I cant see the slider.
2) I dont like the gradient background.
3) I dont like the useless borders around each and every post

The colors are a bit bright, I dont care too much but I definately feel it was better before. The old setup with the new logo was good. If you ask me, LESS is better.. this entire fuckwad of a board could be ALL text like the sr20hybrid forum and I would be blissfully content.

Honestly, all the wonderfully gay colors and stylish pictures mean nothing to me. All I care to do is quote people as quickly as possible and bash in as many skulls as I fucking can, because there are just so many new users on Zilvia in which I absolutely fucking hate.

Sincerely,
- Mike

soulDistortion
11-29-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by WeST
What gradients are you guys talking about? If you know anything about web images you would know a gradient is probably the smallest sized image you will come across on the web.

They're referring to http://www.zilvia.net/f/ambience/back.gif

It also happens to also be the very first thing listed in the body style css.

The problem with that is not the file size itself (as it's only 5k), but the fact that it is only 3 pixels wide and 509 pixels long, and is being tiled to fill up the entire width of the browser window. So even though it's only 5k, it's being tiled over a hundred times to fill the width.

That's what's adding to the main lagginess of the forum even loading. It can be totally done away with and the background left as just plain white with absolutely no visible change to the forum, as the forum itself takes up the entire browser window, making the background pointless.

As a small added bonus, getting rid of it will save some bandwidth, if even only a small amount. Every little bit helps, after all :)

brianglawson
11-29-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by EONE914
sweet the forum looks tight

agreed

~brian~

PARAD0X
11-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Got Sileighty?
heres my 2 cents:
1) font is a little too small, i feel sorry for all the OG (aka OLD) zilvia members and their deteriorating vision hehehe jk :p
2) too much white on the screen, kinda blinding
3) scroll bar -- already mentioned
4) the design around each post looks cool, but kinda clutters everything up...whats the word....ummmm busy. each page looks too busy

good job though! :D

f2a4s0t
11-29-2003, 12:22 PM
I like it

wingsnthangs
11-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by old_s13

The colors are a bit bright, I dont care too much but I definately feel it was better before. The old setup with the new logo was good. If you ask me, LESS is better.. this entire fuckwad of a board could be ALL text like the sr20hybrid forum and I would be blissfully content.

:werd:

Bbandit
11-29-2003, 12:59 PM
wow.. the forum is awesome...
its been awhile so i guess i missed a lot of things

West
11-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by old_s13

All fixed.

I will work more on coloring once I get some time.

X-Iceman
11-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Its a cool look. Just all bubbly n happy. :p

Sundi240
11-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Forum looks great, I'd like a to see a light blue/purple background like before on text area cause its hard to read right now for me at least.

A new suggestion I have is a pop-up text box when you leave your mouse icon over a topic link (which shows the first post) to see if you want to bother entering that topic.

Good job tho.

RedlineRacer
11-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Love the new look West. I like the font you picked (Verdana), my favorite font. I've been into web design since I was 13, I can spot a professional website any day, and this one looks more professional than the old look. I like it much more.

soulDistortion
11-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, don't foget one of the most important things:

Make that search button red and blinking so people see it! :D :D :D

Rennen
11-30-2003, 12:17 AM
I liked the old setup better, seemed more simplistic and better on the eyes IMO. The idea of being able to toggle between new and old in the user options is a good idea, but.....

It seems with this new setup I cannot find my User CP of any of those options. I know it mostly my less-common OS and browser, but everything was fine on the old setup. Attached(hopefully) is a screen shot with the browser window scrolled all the way up.

-Matt

DMC
11-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Is this a temporary look for zilvia or the new look? i was just wondering because personally i miss the old stuff, but like it will be said this is marks forum i just wanted to let you know i think it is really ugly.

Nismo240SX
11-30-2003, 11:03 AM
i agree, i really don't like the color. it'd be alright if the old color scheme was used. but like DMC said, its mark's page, and his choice.

RedlineRacer
11-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Thats all your browser

West
11-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Its the new look, but I will be changing the colors around to look more like the old look. Just gotta find some time.

Also, there is a topic for the new forum look in chat. Ill merge them.

Rennen
11-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RedlineRacer
Thats all your browser

Yeah, I know, but its even worse with Microsoft's wonderful Internet Explorer(see attachment)

This really sucks, I can't even search

I would be interested to hear from anyone else on this board using either a mozilla based web browser or OSX.

-Matt

West
11-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Rennen,

I will look into this, it seems the CSS header needs a few lines in some browsers to work. I will get this fixed soon.

Warwick5s
11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
it does a similar thing with Opera 7. the 'forum, email, reviews...' line looks ok, but the 'home, user cp, register...' line is non existant.

plz don't make me fire up IE everytime i want to search :( as it is now it's only used for windows update.

West
11-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Dont worry, I made a new header thats non CSS that I will turn live tomorrow and finally make the whole site use a simular header.

Sorry for the problems everyone!

Warwick5s
12-01-2003, 01:13 AM
woot! i can see them now!

it's kinda pokey to load, but it's not too bad.

looks great!

Rennen
12-01-2003, 07:17 AM
YAY!

I can see them now too!

Thanks a lot West, for putting in all that work for what I am sure is a very small minority of people on the board :bow:

-Matt

No Motiv
12-01-2003, 07:18 AM
fo shizle...haha. Que BONITA

HaLo
12-01-2003, 07:41 AM
The forum looks great!! Great job guys, keep up the good work!

aznpoopy
12-01-2003, 07:51 AM
it's gonna take some getting used to but it's nice looking overall. the font size got smaller for me; gotta squint all the time now. >_< must... change... text size. i didn't realize how comfortable i got with the old blueish purlish color.

wingsnthangs
12-01-2003, 05:48 PM
This color scheme with the cool grays is much better. The fancy techno modules are still bleh but if the admin likes em I guess I cant do anything about it. But please make the default font a size bigger. The size of the text we use while typing up a post is pretty good.

West
12-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Font size changed. It does look better. :)

I bet people with anything above 1280 screen size had a very hard time reading anything :(

TRUENOCOUPE
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
I dig the green. It was only up for a few minutes.

BadMoJo
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Lookin good so far, I like it.

Got Sileighty?
12-02-2003, 01:23 AM
font is bigger!! :bigok:
background is darker!! :bigok: i dont get blinded anymore woohoo!

i like it!...BUT now the pages load a whole lot slower. :( :cry: whats up with that??

West
12-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Ive noticed it will download the whole page before it displays anything. Ill look into this.

balmo
12-02-2003, 04:53 PM
i was surprised when i visited the forum, new look great feel. keep up the good work!