PDA

View Full Version : Should I even bother with coilovers?

jakez
09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
I just got done installing some big ass godspeed sway bars, and holy shit I couldn't make the body roll even if I dumped a bottle of X in the tank, lol.

It's got kyb struts and some lowering springs that were on it when I bought it. And I've also installed strut bars in the trunk/engine bay/c pillar. The car corners far better than I expected, I'm not trying to break any records just want to turn corners swiftly and grip and go.. which is pretty much taken care of now.

I'm not into drifting or even sliding really, just some fun street driving. But from day one my buddy has been telling me to get coilovers because such an old car with such a power increase is dangerous on anything but some modern coilover suspension. I'm probably at 240whp now and I can't see myself wanting anything more than 280-290whp all said and done. Once I install my vlsd and get some wider wheels/tires that should easily plant ~280whp down without a fuss.

I want to mod this car perfectly how I want it, especially since it's so cheap, easy, and fun to work on. So I wouldn't mind buying some coilovers just for some peace of mind and to know the car is nearly flawless. But I'm wondering if I'll be unhappy with the firmness of them and want to go back to springs, I don't want to hear pieces of the car rattling over every little bump making me cringe and crap like that. Idk maybe someone else has been in the same situation as me and has some input. :hsdance:

ILoveJDM
09-11-2011, 02:32 AM
should you even bother with coilovers?

should you even bother with life?

same thing.

jakez
09-11-2011, 02:38 AM
should you even bother with coilovers?

should you even bother with life?

same thing.

Lol, thanks for the input, it is valued greatly.

ayuaddict
09-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Decent coilovers + no sway bars > GR-2s + godspeed sway bars.

jakez
09-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Decent coilovers + no sway bars > GR-2s + godspeed sway bars.

True, I guess I'm just mostly concerned with coilovers being annoying and way more uncomfortable than my current setup. So the question probably couldn't be answered since no one knows what annoying and uncomfortable is to me.. I might as well just buy some coilovers and enjoy being able to adjust and play with the settings. I just don't want it so stiff that it breaks parts or rattles bolts/nuts loose lol, but I've never owned a car this old and not made for the type of power, and really don't know what I'm talking about.. probably just being paranoid. :hahano:

lysticalz
09-11-2011, 03:34 AM
imo coilovers would be my first performance/style mod on any of my vehicles. probably the best mod anyone could do.

And to what your buddy said, he's wrong.

but yeah if your content on with what you have now so be it. coils wont ever be "soft" on an s-chassis. at least when compared to a strut and spring combo

Hoffman5982
09-11-2011, 03:36 AM
If you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. If,down the road, you decide you want to go with coilovers, then do it. It's your car. Do with it what you want

VNG704
09-11-2011, 03:47 AM
In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about coilovers if you don't worry about how low your car is. There are alot of shocks/springs that perform very well. Koni yellows, I liked the bilsteins on my e36 M I had, GAB I hear are very good too. Yes, suspension gets more important the more power you have, but coilovers aren't the only route to go.

nathanong87
09-11-2011, 06:55 AM
cut dem springs. i did it for my car and it works awesome

rcdad123
09-11-2011, 08:57 AM
all of the 240sx` i`ve driven that has coil overs are very stiff. if you said your car does not lean on corners anymore, you don`t need stiffer springs. if it bottoms out easily, dive excessively when braking, or the rear end dips too much under acceleration, you might need stiffer shocks. i have TOKICO HP shock and spring combo on my 89 s13, and i like them. but they are on the soft side. i sometimes wish for a stiffer set up when i drive more aggressively, but i do have stock sway bars. but for daily driving to and from work, IMO, they are almost perfect for me. BUT, you can get coil overs that have the same spring rates as the stock ones. if you want them for height adjustability those are the way to go.

Casperjay
09-11-2011, 08:59 AM
If you care about your ride height or quality then do it up lol

EsChassisLove
09-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Get coils. 8K/6K springs and it will drive super nice.

Or get some balls and go 12k/10k springs...lawl o.O

brunswick240
09-11-2011, 10:40 AM
True, I guess I'm just mostly concerned with coilovers being annoying and way more uncomfortable than my current setup.

I guess I'm just annoyed with you. THISISZILVIA.com

So the question probably couldn't be answered since no one knows what annoying and uncomfortable is to me..

THISISZILVIA, whats annoying/uncomfortable to you doesnt mean anything to anyone on here. Get low, then lowER, then slam it. <- That's zilvia.

I just don't want it so stiff that it breaks parts or rattles bolts/nuts loose lol, but I've never owned a car this old and not made for the type of power, and really don't know what I'm talking about.. probably just being paranoid. :hahano:

I hope that coilovers dont rattle bolts/nuts loose, you should probably go around and check your chit if thats a concern, or at least throw some zipties in some spots. It's ok if you dont know what youre talking about though, it IS zilvia and someone will flame you and make you feel horrible for a day because you sounded rihtarded on your own thread.

JK dooodd just had to do it. Get some coilovers and enjoy even more stiffness up your bum hole. I hope you weren't serious about nuts n bolts rattling loose, might want to check that out before you get coilovers. :eek:

zooopreme
09-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Great entry level coilovers are always going to be superior to a strut/spring combo like KYB's/Lowering springs, imo.

Somebody mentioned Koni Yellows. Koni + Ground controls are a lot better than most entry level coilovers. However, if ride height is of your concern, these are kind of meh.

Coilovers make noise on a moderate level. Any clunking, rattling, etc. obviously means something is not right. As long as the coilover is mounted/tightened correctly, you will not crash, burn, and die.

Coilovers aren't designed to ride like a cloud, although some companies have made coilovers for the weak hearted. Those tend to cost more. Spring rates that are offered and somewhat bearable for daily driving would be 8/6K or 7/5K if they offer it. If you're leaning towards coilovers, go search for review threads on them. Chances are the members that posted here are the ones that posted in those threads.

joefresh
09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
my 240 with 10/8k springs and full suspension rides nicer than my 4runner on 33''mudders

simmode1
09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Somebody mentioned Koni Yellows. Koni + Ground controls are a lot better than most entry level coilovers. However, if ride height is of your concern, these are kind of meh.
For a while, I considered this combo but with Driftworks Geomaster hub knuckles thrown in for the extra 40mm to 50mm drop...

But to really do Koni+Ground Controls the best way was more $ than I wanted to spend. About as much money as a high dollar off the shelf coilover. And then add in the Geomaster price? Fuck that.

I'll take Megan coilovers with Swift Springs and call it a day. I ain't competing for lap times here.

Melonburst
09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
The problem is Driftworks Geomaster hubs cost about the same as a set of Stance GR+ Pro SSD's after shipping. I know this first hand. Without shipping the Geomaster set is 889.99 GBP which translates to roughly 1430usd add in the expense of shipping it overseas (another 200$) and you could have just gone with a nice set of entry level coilovers.

delado
09-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I just got done installing some big ass godspeed sway bars, and holy shit I couldn't make the body roll even if I dumped a bottle of X in the tank, lol.

It's got kyb struts and some lowering springs that were on it when I bought it. And I've also installed strut bars in the trunk/engine bay/c pillar. The car corners far better than I expected, I'm not trying to break any records just want to turn corners swiftly and grip and go.. which is pretty much taken care of now.

I'm not into drifting or even sliding really, just some fun street driving. But from day one my buddy has been telling me to get coilovers because such an old car with such a power increase is dangerous on anything but some modern coilover suspension. I'm probably at 240whp now and I can't see myself wanting anything more than 280-290whp all said and done. Once I install my vlsd and get some wider wheels/tires that should easily plant ~280whp down without a fuss.

I want to mod this car perfectly how I want it, especially since it's so cheap, easy, and fun to work on. So I wouldn't mind buying some coilovers just for some peace of mind and to know the car is nearly flawless. But I'm wondering if I'll be unhappy with the firmness of them and want to go back to springs, I don't want to hear pieces of the car rattling over every little bump making me cringe and crap like that. Idk maybe someone else has been in the same situation as me and has some input. :hsdance:

You're not into vagina, or pussy really.

brunswick240
09-11-2011, 12:39 PM

:werd:

Doesnt 240sxforums or club240 still exist? better yet if you dont want to talk about how low your 240 is and how you want to go lower when youre already rubbing everything possible and no one will ride in your car because its stupid bumpy and ridiculously clanky and makes crazy noises why are you even posting in zilvia thread?? and yes this makes you fucking rad mad super duper jdm cool when your 240 is so low that its beyond impractical.

go to nico

simmode1
09-11-2011, 01:20 PM
^^^Nah, I'll make sure that shit doesn't fly at NICO either... lol

brunswick240
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I wish we had a like button on here like other forums haha +1

blingbling
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM

:rofl: :keke:

bataangpinoy
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
quality coilovers are always worth the money.

slowvia
09-11-2011, 02:06 PM
If youre worried about compromising ride quality for performance you may be on the wrong forum, haha. But check out Stance LX+ coils, I think theyre like 7 and 5K or something? And right around $1100 shipped.

chiboy002
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
as everyone said

coils are better alone than most other things. if you are so concerned with bolts coming off, drill and safety wire every bolt. If theyre torqued down then they wont come off. or use green thread lock

as far as old suspension + 240whp being dangerous. Youre friend is a dumb-ass

c72c
09-11-2011, 02:29 PM
If you plan to do any kind of 'spirited' driving, good suspension should be your priority.
While you may not have body roll with those sway bars, you still need to think about the front and rear squatting and lifting during braking and accelerating.
If you want something 'comfortable' and good for driving, get some coil-overs that are damper adjustable and reasonable springs.
Just as an example, I had tein he coil-overs on my 14. My wife wouldn't ride in the car with me if I had it set up for the track because it was too stiff, so I'd just adjust the dampening all the way to 'soft' and it was like driving any other car with stock suspension...just handled better.

Sumslapper
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
The first mod I ever do to any of my cars is suspension. Coilovers at that. If you buy a quality set, you wont have problems like flying out of your seat over bumps or the wife nagging about how she cant do her makeup in your car.

And come on man do you really think your nuts and bolts are going to come flying off because you put coilovers on? Just dont buy shit like Godspeed. My car is very low and it handles better and rides better than your your 4x4 and oh my gosh, Im on Cusco coilovers.

TheRealSy90
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think completely eliminating body roll is the best thing either.

shiftdrift
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Koni/ ground control. /thread.

EhrikETFG
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
get a good set/company that will give you custom spring rates, get 6/6 or 8/6 and roll on full soft. coils are the best.

Ramonesfreak2010
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
eBay coils.

ayuaddict
09-11-2011, 10:13 PM
eBay coils.

to match the ebay sway bars.

Prove It
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
if you think your car handles good now. you are going to shit your pants if you get coilovers and wonder why you waited so long. I went from springs and struts to ISIS coilovers and it was a world of difference. Now i man up and went to stance, but for the price ISIS coilovers might be a good investment for you

Sideways570sx
09-12-2011, 12:26 PM
if you think your car handles good now. you are going to shit your pants if you get coilovers and wonder why you waited so long. I went from springs and struts to ISIS coilovers and it was a world of difference. Now i man up and went to stance, but for the price ISIS coilovers might be a good investment for you

so your only a man if you step it up to stance coils? lol

rb25det powered S14
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I would say stick with a nice spring strut combo.. i have 12kg /8kg coilover setup and on the streets, its boarderline undriveable.. the most suttle crack puts my car at risk of being broke in half ( not really but it feels like it )...

nissan_powa
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
i say coilovers are one of the best mods. but of course choose accordingly for your specific usage.

bentmode360
09-12-2011, 11:50 PM
get some 12/10 coils and then you'll really be dippin.

HalveBlue
09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Simple answer: No.

More Complex Answer: Your car already has coilovers. They're just not adjustable like the fanboy, jdm tyte, drift, whatever coilovers.

Adjustable coil-over-springs are designed to balance your vehicle, though most people tend to be attracted to the fact that they offer easy ride-height adjustability and increased stiffness.

My opinion only, do a little bit of research and buy some good springs. Then drive your car.

If it's still not good enough look into replacing the shock absorbers.

You'll get the same, if not superior, ride quality for a lot less money.

slider2828
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I have had good experiences with Tein Basics, which basically were made for a luxurious ride.... at least on my TL it does.....

But you can get the same ride, with Tokico and springs.....