PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Ram Air

twitchy
11-25-2003, 09:47 PM
So I saw a firehawk in the shop the other day and its hood was open, and it has a couple K&N filters under the hood snouts and it forms an airtight seal against the bottom of those snouts when the hood is closed, hence ram air. SO my question is what happens when you drive in the rain??

Chernobyl
11-25-2003, 11:07 PM
SO my question is what happens when you drive in the rain??

Your car gets wet.

twitchy
11-25-2003, 11:13 PM
awwwwwwwwwww common....to the filters i mean, they get wet but i mean, will the car take in water?

Phoen_x_s14
11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Depending if the intaking piping has by-pass valves like the one AEM sales then no, if the Factory installed them right. ALot of people who bought the AEM bpv installed them wrong and AEM had to redesign it to make it "idiot proof" , but I don't know much about firehawks.

twitchy
11-26-2003, 11:58 PM
just cant imagine how it wouldnt suck up water...it would go in the snouts and soak the filters..you can see them if you look inside

Rennen
11-28-2003, 11:31 AM
I have often wondered about that too, but I think the simple fact is that a little rain won't affect anything. I dont think driving in a rainstorm will hydrolock your engine.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/4305/P5020014.jpg

On Pontiac's ram air the air box is made so that the air is ramed below the filter and then drawn upwards. Since water wieghs more than air, some of the water will fall out in the box. I'd imagine having this moisture along with dirt in the filter box would mean you would have to clean the filter more often, but otherwise it should work fine as long as you dont submerge the hood and hydrolock the engine:D

-Matt

Kreator
11-28-2003, 02:56 PM
rain does absolutely nothing in this case
your filter gets wet, u manage to suck in less air (cuz some of the texture holes have water in them now) but water will never make it to the engine

and the whole AEM bypass thing is crap, cuz it only works when yer filter gets completly submerged into the water. Like if you drive through a really deap puddle. Cuz only then the pressure inside the pipe drops enough to open the bypass. And unless u do offroading and shit like that, i dont think it will ever happen. Just another useless product to make some money off :-/