PDA

View Full Version : How to legally use licensed music in videos?

Metal Angel
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Title says it all... Anyone know how? I'm talking about selling these videos.

sr20sean
09-07-2011, 11:18 PM
own or work for the company/band/artist that is allowed to sell/distribute the song/video or get written permission from them to sell. (ie: authorized sellers like itunes)

drift freaq
09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Seriously you are asking here? LOL You have to license the music from the publishing company. Ya I am in the business but this is like the the most unusual place to ask this kind of question.
What you can do though is hire someone to write music that sounds like the music you want to use but is not quite the same. That way you get the sound you want but you are only paying for comp music.
Seriously licensing published music can be quite expensive.

HyperTek
09-07-2011, 11:41 PM
for youtube? throw this in your discription i think it works

NOTICE: "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

drift freaq
09-07-2011, 11:47 PM
for youtube? throw this in your discription i think it works

NOTICE: "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Ah sorry Austin but that does not work if he is selling video's with the published music on it. He will get sued as he is selling it, which is profiting off of it.

He did not say he was posting on Youtube he said for selling Video's.

It is against copyright law. What you quoted is above is for use with no intention of profit or redistribution.

DataXUnknown
09-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Wasn't there a certain amout of time of a song you could use without permission though? Like 30 seconds or something like that?

Metal Angel
09-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Drift videos, skate videos, snowboard videos, whatever... they all have copy-write music in them... how do they do it? Yeah, I understand a big budget hollywood film paying a crap ton for a song in their movie when their budget is millions of dollars, but skate videos and stuff don't have the same budget, there has to be a cheaper way... right?

Metal Angel
09-08-2011, 01:33 AM
and yeah, I realize this is a weird place to ask this question... but I know there are guys on here who shoot films for motormavens and speedhunters... so I thought someone might know.

drift freaq
09-08-2011, 01:56 AM
and yeah, I realize this is a weird place to ask this question... but I know there are guys on here who shoot films for motormavens and speedhunters... so I thought someone might know.

Actually if the guys are cameraman they probably do not know. Honestly those skate video's have obtained use licenses. This is something best negotiated by a lawyer.
You are asking about Music business law when you get into copyrighted material and licensing its use for resale. I would suggest you talk to a Music business attorney about this.
As you will need to negotiate a deal with a publishing house for the use of the copyrighted mechanicals.
I keep on giving you answers bet because its not what you want to hear you keep on coming back.

Oh and I do know about this having had my own record label. Worked for labels and writing and producing music as well.

HyperTek
09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
oh yeah if its for sale, you gotta hook up a deal to get permission and pay royalties i think. i.e. if you got your song into a movie, you are going to get a fat check.espcially when you hear some dumbass song in a movie, they got bank off the film using it.

If you want free, your going to have to look for local or unsigned dudes who will hook you p for free to use their stuff for promotion.

drift freaq
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
oh yeah if its for sale, you gotta hook up a deal to get permission and pay royalties i think. i.e. if you got your song into a movie, you are going to get a fat check.espcially when you hear some dumbass song in a movie, they got bank off the film using it.

If you want free, your going to have to look for local or unsigned dudes who will hook you p for free to use their stuff for promotion.

which is pretty much what I already said and its not I think, Its you have to. Oh and yes song placement in Film and Televisions can be quite lucrative for bands.

S14DB
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Wasn't there a certain amout of time of a song you could use without permission though? Like 30 seconds or something like that?

Under 10sec for Broadcast. Most of them have Licensing though BMI/ASCAP anyways for bump/fill music.

But, a quick search would reveal answers to the OP's question:
HowStuffWorks "How Music Licensing Works" (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing.htm)
Music licensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_licensing)

ASCAP Music Licensing (http://www.ascap.com/licensing/)
Music Licensing | BMI.com (http://www.bmi.com/licensing/)

Metal Angel
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I keep on giving you answers bet because its not what you want to hear you keep on coming back.

Jeebus. Don't get your panties in a wad. I don't "keep coming back" I asked a question, you answered it, and I clarified the question. I'm not looking for a specific answer so I can justify selling licensed music or something, I just wanted to make sure you understood what I was talking about, you don't have to get all condescending about it.

That being said, thanks for your help :)

drift freaq
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Jeebus. Don't get your panties in a wad. I don't "keep coming back" I asked a question, you answered it, and I clarified the question. I'm not looking for a specific answer so I can justify selling licensed music or something, I just wanted to make sure you understood what I was talking about, you don't have to get all condescending about it.

That being said, thanks for your help :)

Relax I am not worked up. I understood what you meant from the get go. I do live in Hollywood and I do write music for everything.I.E. film, T.V. Radio etc...

Excuse me for saying you were coming back. Its just that I pointed out clearly in my first post that you cannot just legally use licensed music without paying for it in some way shape or form and that usually equates to not exactly cheap.

I also pointed out how you could get around that whole deal by having someone compose comp music. Which basically sounds like the original to certain extent but is not and is enough different as to not violate licensing and copyright.
Though you did keep on with the comment here in quotation marks

" but I know there are guys on here who shoot films for motormavens and speedhunters... so I thought someone might know."

Which clearly shows you were fishing for different answers to essentially the same question. Which made it seem like you did not like what you heard and were trying to get answers you would like.

Outside of me finally saying you probably should talk to a lawyer if you were going to go down the road of actually using published licensed music. As they can usually negotiate a much better deal than you yourself would be able to.

Oh and I am not being condescending about it at all. Just giving you info.
You are welcome.