PDA

View Full Version : California DMV out of state car inspection questions???

SuicidnS13
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
So guys what does the California DMV inspection consist of? In nevada it is simply a VIN verification. Meaning they verify the doors/dash and title to match of the vin number and that we need to bring a proof of smog in. Is it much stricter than that in Cali?

DEMo
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
You need to bring the car in for brake inspections, light inspections, vin verification, and you need a smog cert.

fliprayzin240sx
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Why the hell are you trying to register it in CA? Don't if you can keep your NV plates!!!

SuicidnS13
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Why the hell are you trying to register it in CA? Don't if you can keep your NV plates!!!

True that, but its actually going to a new owner in cali. Trust me if I moved out there which is a possibility I will keep NV Tags and Licenscing

Mister.E
09-06-2011, 12:43 PM

I have thought about registering my car in Cali. Being military and being out of the state on orders, i've heard that you are pretty much exempt from all of the smog shit, you just have to pay for registration. I just want plates that are not NV plates to deter these ridiculous North Las Vegas cops from pulling me over for dumb shit.

beeracing s14
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
isnt that Obama is pulling off from that stricter smog laws? whats with that?

SuicidnS13
09-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I have thought about registering my car in Cali. Being military and being out of the state on orders, i've heard that you are pretty much exempt from all of the smog shit, you just have to pay for registration. I just want plates that are not NV plates to deter these ridiculous North Las Vegas cops from pulling me over for dumb shit.

Yup, my Slammed out SC was never looked at though... cops would be right next to me and not even give the car a second look in north town.

Mister.E
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
i got pulled over for having an exhaust, and it wasnt even loud. They pulled me over on my way to work, in my uniform, on my birthday, and said that he HAD to give me a ticket in an effort to combat street racing.

Fuck you NLVPD

hOngsterr
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
when i had to register my car that was from florida, all they did was look at the vins smog and engine. bam i was done.

Silvette
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
when i had to register my car that was from florida, all they did was look at the vins smog and engine. bam i was done.

that is what they did for me also, when i registered my car from Texas.

Mister.E
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
So if you bring a car from a different state into Cali, it doesnt have to abide by all of their rules?

SuicidnS13
09-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Describe engine vidual?

hOngsterr
09-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Describe engine vidual?

i forgot to add in, they look at your hood, to check if your emissions meet CA standards and not just the US. But thats not a big deal cause another friend got his car registered without it saying US AND CA emissions approved.

but they just check if everything in order, last car i had was a 89 with a DE engine, chick checked it and i was on my way.

x3thelast
09-07-2011, 06:05 AM

no if you have cali plates you HAVE to abide by cali laws. ie; SMOG EVERY 2years.

So if you bring a car from a different state into Cali, it doesnt have to abide by all of their rules?

nope, hence why im registering my car back to florida even tho im stationed here in cali...emissions laws suck here. ive got stacks of tickets asking for a BAR inspection/no smog device....bullshit.

Mister.E
09-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Im the opposite of you man. I have an address in Cali, however, im not physically there. I was told by someone who was stationed in Georgia once that had CAli plates that she never had to get it smogged or anything since she was not physically in the state. All she had to do was pay registration.

rickRHD
09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
i forgot to add in, they look at your hood, to check if your emissions meet CA standards and not just the US. But thats not a big deal cause another friend got his car registered without it saying US AND CA emissions approved.

incorrect. CA State Law is that if a vehicle is 49-State (US) Approved & has more than 7,500 miles on the odometer, it is considered a Used Vehicle & can be registered without a problem. I worked for an EPA lab in socal & have done it numerous times.

SuicidnS13
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
So they actually go through the motor swap at the dmv to verify the same smog equipment that a smog station verifies during the visual inspection?

hOngsterr
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
incorrect. CA State Law is that if a vehicle is 49-State (US) Approved & has more than 7,500 miles on the odometer, it is considered a Used Vehicle & can be registered without a problem. I worked for an EPA lab in socal & have done it numerous times.

yeah bro learn to read, i said its not a big deal and you can still register it, the lady gave us shit about the hood. saying that.

NissanEnthus
09-07-2011, 04:35 PM
So they actually go through the motor swap at the dmv to verify the same smog equipment that a smog station verifies during the visual inspection?

No, they dont go that into detail and check for specific parts. They check vins on the body but not motor. You do have to open your hood to inspect that motor looks correct and original...Their smog verification is the smog test certificate that you passed that you provide to them. Mentioning motor swap is obviously a huge no-no.

I had a Chevy Monte Carlo my brother shipped to me from Seattle he wanted me to register here in Cali. He took out the original V6 305 and swapped in a V8 350 (that alone made it illegal here) but made it look stock as possible...Just asked me to pop the hood to take a look at it and glanced at it and passed it.

I'm pretty sure Cali has the strictest laws on modifying cars...so If its SR'd I would be worried on the visual inspection unless he makes it look as stock as possible and no flashy parts....but its a big risk he's taking.

HyperTek
09-07-2011, 05:00 PM
my rx7 was from oregon when i transfered it here , i had smogged it first, i had intake and no smog equipment and it didnt bother them, they just look at the vin .

fliprayzin240sx
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Im the opposite of you man. I have an address in Cali, however, im not physically there. I was told by someone who was stationed in Georgia once that had CAli plates that she never had to get it smogged or anything since she was not physically in the state. All she had to do was pay registration.

As sad as it is, I'd take CA plates over VA plates in your situation. I got a buddy who's in the similar predicament. He has VA plates but works in MD at Andrews. VA has safety inspection instead of smog and you have to have a sticker. He got a ticket in VA for not having an up to date cert even tho he's military and isnt living in VA.

MADE
09-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Simply not true, you have to smog your car for your initial decal and every renewal. So If your decal last for 4 years you have 4 yrs etc. So technically through all the BS you hear your complying with CA regs.

Mister.E
09-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Simply not true, you have to smog your car for your initial decal and every renewal. So If your decal last for 4 years you have 4 yrs etc. So technically through all the BS you hear your complying with CA regs.

Even if you're not in California? I have been told the opposite of what you are saying by several military folks that have Cali plates that are stationed here in NV.

SuicidnS13
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
No, they dont go that into detail and check for specific parts. They check vins on the body but not motor. You do have to open your hood to inspect that motor looks correct and original...Their smog verification is the smog test certificate that you passed that you provide to them. Mentioning motor swap is obviously a huge no-no.

I had a Chevy Monte Carlo my brother shipped to me from Seattle he wanted me to register here in Cali. He took out the original V6 305 and swapped in a V8 350 (that alone made it illegal here) but made it look stock as possible...Just asked me to pop the hood to take a look at it and glanced at it and passed it.

I'm pretty sure Cali has the strictest laws on modifying cars...so If its SR'd I would be worried on the visual inspection unless he makes it look as stock as possible and no flashy parts....but its a big risk he's taking.

Anyone else in cali? Sr swapped?

MADE
09-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Even if you're not in California? I have been told the opposite of what you are saying by several military folks that have Cali plates that are stationed here in NV.

Opps I though you meant military personnel reg'd out of state ,stationed in CA. All the BS you hear abou Cali is the best place for people who enjoy cars Ive ever been.

240Cali
04-01-2012, 11:14 AM
damn i need to register my sr20 with nevada plates here in cali... my brother lives in nevada.. im thinking of putting the car under both our names and registering it over there as well as smoging it.. i dont wanna risk the sr not passing inspection .. =/

S133P3R
04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Make sure to have your gas vapor line (connects to charcoal canister then routes to intake) connected to vaccum because you will fail smog if it ain't suckin. Ive only heard of chassis, light inspections after a salvage accident. The last smog I failed the guy pulled out this fatty book with engine bay diagrams on every page and flipped to the 240 to show that I was missing vaccum lines.

gerardogomez0809
04-14-2012, 12:20 AM
How's it going. When I registered my 240 it had a CA18det and the plates were from WA.. I've heard a lot of things before I went to register the car, I couldn't sleep just thinking about if I had to change the engine back to stock... When I went to DMV I had an older lady check my car and she only check the vin# plates u der the hood and door to make sure the vin matched all the paperwork. Had it smogged and that was it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

brewster240
04-14-2012, 06:10 AM
I had a Chevy Monte Carlo my brother shipped to me from Seattle he wanted me to register here in Cali. He took out the original V6 305 and swapped in a V8 350 (that alone made it illegal here) but made it look stock as possible...Just asked me to pop the hood to take a look at it

305 is a v8, and externally looks the same as 350.

Monte Carlo cane v8 from the factory, you can change a v6 one over to v8.

240Cali
04-14-2012, 08:39 AM
How's it going. When I registered my 240 it had a CA18det and the plates were from WA.. I've heard a lot of things before I went to register the car, I couldn't sleep just thinking about if I had to change the engine back to stock... When I went to DMV I had an older lady check my car and she only check the vin# plates u der the hood and door to make sure the vin matched all the paperwork. Had it smogged and that was it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

This ALMOST makes me wanna just try to do it here in CA... But I'd hate to illegally pay $200 to smog and them being like.. um sr20? no.

what's the worse they can do?? just say no and walk away? then go to plan B and do it all in Nevada if i need to?? ahhh this sucks. :smash:

NissanEnthus
04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
305 is a v8, and externally looks the same as 350.

Monte Carlo cane v8 from the factory, you can change a v6 one over to v8.

You are correct I meant a 262 V6, I'm not a big chevy fan nor expert V6 models...In stock form they do look exactly the same but that is why I said he made it look stock because he had aftermarket Edlebrock carb, intake, and headers. Didnt want any attention getting parts to raise up flags at the inspection, because the law is if the vehicle from the factory was lets just a V6 you can not swap a motor in with more cylinders like a V8.

what's the worse they can do?? just say no and walk away? then go to plan B and do it all in Nevada if i need to?? ahhh this sucks. :smash:

Careful with comments and questions....Your stating a price for something done illegally (Which is a no-no on Zilvia). I dont think they just walk away and say no, Im pretty sure you will then have to get a referee to do the inspection and at that point your screwed.

upsdude
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
ok so i just bought a car that was originally from virginia, and went through the process of transferring title and getting cali plates this last week.
with respect to the inspection at the dmv:
you pop your hood, they look at the vin plate in the bay and they look at the vin plate on the dash. they're basically checking to see if the vins match and that they're attached with the right rivets.
i had my ecu hanging out on the floor and the lady didn't even care.

you might have to request a california title (not sure) but just in case print and fill out form reg. 343 and bring with you. better to have it and not need it than waste your time at the dmv only to get turned away.

smog: just get the car smogged wherever and however you want, bring that paperwork with you.

if you have triple-A try getting car titled and registered/inspected through them. if they offer the service it'll take much less time than dealing with the dmv. i spent 2 days and about 4 hours worth of waiting =/

in short: the dmv inspection is nothing like a ref inspection-they just want to make sure you're not trying to title a stolen car

240Cali
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
You are correct I meant a 262 V6, I'm not a big chevy fan nor expert V6 models...In stock form they do look exactly the same but that is why I said he made it look stock because he had aftermarket Edlebrock carb, intake, and headers. Didnt want any attention getting parts to raise up flags at the inspection, because the law is if the vehicle from the factory was a V6 you can not swap a motor in with more cylinders.

Careful with comments and questions....Your stating a price for something done illegally (Which is a no-no on Zilvia). I dont think they just walk away and say no, Im pretty sure you will then have to get a referee to do the inspection and at that point your screwed.

ya not gonna risk that=/ hope i can just put it under my brothers name and mine since he lives in nevada, I dont think Ill need a nevada licence tho would i? to register it under my name as well to be able to drive it in Cali

lewisfk
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM

That is not true! Its up to the base if there going to enforce the Cali smog laws. Camp Pendelton does, when I was stationed in 29 Palms from 2003-2006 they did not. I don't know if 29 palms do now. The Navy bases do, but there more flexible than the Marines. I just smog my 2011 Ford truck to get tags to go on base, my truck is registered in Texas. Once u register or buy a car in Cali, and your military you have to follow all the smog and registration laws of a normal state resident. The state does discount the registration fees for military personnel, thats it!

Mister.E
04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
boooooooooo

eff california

240Cali
04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
ok so i just bought a car that was originally from virginia, and went through the process of transferring title and getting cali plates this last week.
with respect to the inspection at the dmv:
you pop your hood, they look at the vin plate in the bay and they look at the vin plate on the dash. they're basically checking to see if the vins match and that they're attached with the right rivets.
i had my ecu hanging out on the floor and the lady didn't even care.

you might have to request a california title (not sure) but just in case print and fill out form reg. 343 and bring with you. better to have it and not need it than waste your time at the dmv only to get turned away.

smog: just get the car smogged wherever and however you want, bring that paperwork with you.

if you have triple-A try getting car titled and registered/inspected through them. if they offer the service it'll take much less time than dealing with the dmv. i spent 2 days and about 4 hours worth of waiting =/

in short: the dmv inspection is nothing like a ref inspection-they just want to make sure you're not trying to title a stolen car

HOLY SHIT!! i completely forgot you can register a car thru AAA... so I get my SMog done however... then go and try to register it there Im a lot less scared for them to say.. "SR20 fuCK off..." than the DMV... you made my day dude.. If that dont work then o wells go do it in vegas but I feel good faith on this .. your 240 had an illegal engine or just a KA24??? PM me dude plz!!!

240Cali
04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Ref inspection... when do you get that??

NissanEnthus
04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Ref inspection... when do you get that??

LOL...this is what you dont want and not trying to get in Cali.

240Cali
04-14-2012, 01:56 PM
LOL...this is what you dont want and not trying to get in Cali.

Im lost =/ i know i dont want it but is this requiered when registering a vehicle from an outer state to cali ? or is this something u get if u get pulled over and they check you? yes i sound like a fkn nOob man, but plz explain.. would AAA do that if i bring em a car from nevada here in cali?:bash:

NissanEnthus
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Im lost =/ i know i dont want it but is this requiered when registering a vehicle from an outer state to cali ? or is this something u get if u get pulled over and they check you? yes i sound like a fkn nOob man, but plz explain.. would AAA do that if i bring em a car from nevada here in cali?:bash:

Your confusing a DMV inspection that is required when registering an out of state car in the state of CA with a referee inspection which is what you dont want to get with an SR.
If you plan on registering it in CA and are a resident of CA (Im assuming since I see your in Norwalk) and the car is from NV you cant go to Nevada to register it there. It is now operated on CA roads and the registered owner (You) live in CA.

Tommy Varro
08-15-2013, 12:41 AM
About the car inspection (http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Vehicle-Inspection-Systems/). I got a car inspection 5 years ago, then I want to ungrade it. What Can I do?