PDA

View Full Version : Musician's thread!

DS562
08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
i've wondered what kind of musicians frequent zilvia, so im making a thread to see who plays what :)

post up gear, experience, past or current bands, songs you've written or are currently learning, bands and songs to listen to for inspiration, and tips and tricks for those just pickin up their first instrument!

Experience: 3-4 years self taught
Guitars: ESP LTD Viper 200fm. 1978 B.C. Rico wave. Ibanez RG350DX.
Amp: Line6 Spider 2 2x12 150w with upgraded Celestion 125w speakers.
Currently learning: Hot For Teacher by Van Halen

Grocery Cart
08-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Mannn you beat me to it. I was thinking about starting a thread like this earlier today..

I play guitar mostly. I have an ESP LTD viper 200fm also. Peavey VK100 head and a Marshall MG cab. Trying to sell my stack at the moment actually.
I also make a lot of electronic type music. Mostly just Electro House and D'n'B.
I play bass in some shitty band, we played warped over the summer in Houston, that was pretty fun.
Kinda do a little bit of everything. Music was all I had to do until I got my car. Now I'm either playing guitar or outside working on something that's broken. Haha.

demonspeed
08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Ive been playing alto sax since i was in middle school, so about 13 years now. I picked up two guitars, electric and acoustic and am trying to learn but am coming up short lol! ive also been rapping and singing since 99...got a couple of vids up on youtube...feel free to check em out if you want: youtube.com/user/southernzfinest

ESmorz
08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
This is definitely the first thread on Zilvia for Musicians.

MrBrightSide
08-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Instruments - Experience
Trumpet - 4 years (elementary/middle school)
Piano/Keys - 6 years (middle school/HS)
Drums - 2 years (on and off)

and I've just picked up the guitar about amount ago...

Biggamehit
08-31-2011, 03:00 AM
@ demon some how I came up on your music a few weeks back.

Cool thread

when not racing or doing martial arts.. I produce music and videos.

I started playing trumpet in 5th grade.. lasted about 4 years before sports kicked in.. but learned alot.

Instruments - Experience
Trumpet - 4 years elementary and Middle
Piano/Keys - 2 years self taught
Drums - dabbled while in band used those skills for drum machines
MPC 1000- 1 year
Daw's- 5 to 6 years

Here is my studio in my house Im learning to play bass to lay live base over my beats.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/310769_10100493250763368_5707395_57064452_3318365_ n.jpg

Some of my Music

http://donniebeats.teammnr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/biggamehit

demonspeed
08-31-2011, 04:45 AM

Cool thread

I started playing trumpet in 5th grade.. lasted about 4 years before sports kicked in.. but learned alot.

Instruments - Experience
MPC 1000- 1 year
Daw's- 5 to 6 years

Here is my studio in my house Im learning to play bass to lay live base over my beats.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/310769_10100493250763368_5707395_57064452_3318365_ n.jpg

Some of my Music

donniebeats.teammnr.com (http://donniebeats.teammnr.com/)

BigGameHit's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/biggamehit)

Whoa you heard of me? Thats crazy! Im trying to put a mixtape together....got any beats for sale?

Biggamehit
08-31-2011, 04:55 AM
Most of my newer stuff that is worth something is sampled. I cant sell em do to copywrites.... you can use em just give me credit lol.

pm me for more details.

demonspeed
08-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Most of my newer stuff that is worth something is sampled. I cant sell em do to copywrites.... you can use em just give me credit lol.

pm me for more details.

Oh fo sho man! good lookin out!

Biggamehit
08-31-2011, 05:09 AM
No problem bro like I said I would like to hear an artist on my tracks.. I don't write or rap.

for the guitarist on here.. I love love love guitar solo's and riff's if you got any stuff recorded in decent quality and would like to see me chop it up.. Id like to. Or just layer some live drums over it.

misterdumby
08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I've been wanting to get a new guitar for a while now. Probably going with esp for the heavier stuff

DS562
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Cool thread

Instruments - Experience
MPC 1000- 1 year
Daw's- 5 to 6 years

Some of my Music

BigGameHit's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/biggamehit)

dude i've always wanted to put together a studio like that! too sick. i would only add a few more things, a guitar and amp and a digital drum set.

@ demonspeed- i searched the link but it says you cant be found

my boys spenz and chucky put this together in a similar set up
cej3CCdm28U

word sux
08-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Claritnet (lulz) - 7 years

bass guitar - 4 years

bass- OG 1970's gibson sg 4 string my uncle gave me

Biggamehit
09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
^^ whats the key to becomming a good bass player lol other than practice?

I have had my bass for about 3 months but only played with it for like an hour due to work etc..

I watched some youtube vids when I first got it.

@DS5 thanks bro.. its really entry level stuff. I dont need any more gear for sure lol. There is a MAC and a bass guitar and AMP hiding in that picture lol. Ill check out the vid when I get home.

demonspeed
09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
@ Ds562, look up Southernzfinest...im there lol

word sux
09-01-2011, 04:35 AM

I have had my bass for about 3 months but only played with it for like an hour due to work etc..

@DS5 thanks bro.. its really entry level stuff. I dont need any more gear for sure lol. There is a MAC and a bass guitar and AMP hiding in that picture lol. Ill check out the vid when I get home.

just like with everything practice practice practice

build up finger strength too they make the grip builders for guitars they work pretty good so when your at work you can squeeze it and it will build up your strength and endurance.

Biggamehit
09-01-2011, 04:59 AM
yea lol cars are the life music is a hobby... Ill get to it sometime lol..

shobotan
09-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Experience: Self taught 20+ years
Guitars: Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod, Cimar Strat copy.
Amp: Roland Cube 20 & Danelectro Honeytone Mini amp.
Currently learning: In the Gallery by Dire Straits.

how you going with the intro to Hot for Teacher?

Biggamehit
09-01-2011, 06:39 AM
smooth beat DS5

drift freaq
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Cool thread

Instruments - Experience
MPC 1000- 1 year
Daw's- 5 to 6 years

Some of my Music

You might want to get the monitors out of the corner. You want your mix situation to be at one end of the room on the short wall side. That is ideal, oh and it does look like you might have a bass trap on the wall. Which is a good thing as room treatment makes a world of difference in mixes as well.

Since I am commenting.

Trained sound engineer here California Recording Institute 1993
Certificate in Pro Tools 2001
Using Logic Audio since 1995

I have been told I could carry a tune before I could talk.
writing lyrics since I was 15
Played Piano since I was 12

Can write for any instrument.

Current Setup
Imac Running Logic 9
Various different Soft Synths
Focusrite Saffire AD/DA
KRK V8 Series II Monitors
Yamaha FS1R
Kawaii K5000S

Short acquisition list
Waldorf Q
Access Virus
Korg Monotribe
Roland JP8000

To many Analog synths sold to go into. LOL

Basically I write and produce all different types of music depending on what is needed.
Just started a new alternative band with Japanese Vocalist Sawami Shinohara. Will have stuff up in the next few months.

Its funny you listed cars are the life and Music is the hobby. Music is my life, cars are a hobby and extra income.

Ramonesfreak2010
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
^That doesn't look like a glass table. lol

Anyway, I've been playing piano for almost 12 years. Well I've stopped playing. I only took lessons for 6. Fucking sucks because I only learned how to play by reading sheet music. I WISH i could play by ear. I would be such a better pianist. Anyone have any tips?

drift freaq
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Anyway, I've been playing piano for almost 12 years. Well I've stopped playing. I only took lessons for 6. Fucking sucks because I only learned how to play by reading sheet music. I WISH i could play by ear. I would be such a better pianist. Anyone have any tips?

my bad on closer look you are most likely right. Though its still not even ideal for mixing.

demonspeed
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

To play by ear you just have to keep at it. I can play by ear on sax and piano, and i dont even play piano. For me, i have to 'feel' a music track....i have to sense its emotion...its ups and downs...thats the only way i can explain.

Biggamehit
09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
@freaq yea... since I set that room up I have not been in there much... I got back from Iraq during the start of the drift season.

I have been reading up on the setup of the monitors ironically like you pointed out and I will adjust. A few times I have felt sick during a session and it was like my hearing was off. Also ears would get fatigued after about a 1 hour session.

namawon
09-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Drums:4 years. year of lessons, the rest self taught.
My gear,
Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
Zildjian k custom 13"1/4 hi hats
Zildjian A custom 20" crash
Zildjian A Sweet ride 21"
Zildjian Vintage A ride 20"
random stands- sp,pdp
Iron cobra double pedal, along with iron cobra hi hat stand
Anchor drums custom snare drum.
Since im on the topic check out my band,
Hope For Heroes | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/hope4heroes)
Yes im the fat one in the middle :D

DS562
09-01-2011, 09:09 PM

basically the same as guitar, except the fingering (giggity) is somewhat different. just start out doing finger exercises and different strum patterns. i did arpeggios to a metronome and if i messed up a note, i'd start from the beginning. repeat 20x

drift freaq
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
@freaq yea... since I set that room up I have not been in there much... I got back from Iraq during the start of the drift season.

I have been reading up on the setup of the monitors ironically like you pointed out and I will adjust. A few times I have felt sick during a session and it was like my hearing was off. Also ears would get fatigued after about a 1 hour session.

Congrats on being back man. I wonder if your hearing got affected over there.

Some brands of Monitors can be very fatiguing. What are those monitors in the picture. They looked rather small. So I am guessing they are not representing frequencies properly.

My KRK's are pretty decent. The components were made by Focal before Focal stopped selling components to KRK.

Focal now makes their own monitors that a lot of people seem to like and use.
The other brands that have been real popular in the last few years are Adam's and Dynaudio's.

Dynaudio's are like shocking because they reveal everything in the mix you can here the reverb trails in stuff you would not have heard on other monitors.
People say the same thing about the Focals.

The older KRK's were big in Rock Music. V8 series II's have been used on a lot of big hit records. Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt was mixed on V8's. Just to mention one.
Expose 8's were very very popular as well. You will still find them and the V8 series II's in quite a few studios.

I am considering a set of Dyn's my friend has or possibly getting Focals. Adams tend to be kinda on the shrill side which would wind up being Fatiguing

kenS14
09-01-2011, 10:55 PM
guitar: ESP Ltd EC-1000 Deluxe, 8 years experience only but 6 years constant playing
vocalist: 4yrs

gotta love the feeling of performing on stage or in front of a crowd....
generes played are any forms of punk/metal

^sick home studio btw...

Biggamehit
09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
@Freq.. they are M-Audio mini studio monitors. Ill get the model number in a bit.

EsChassisLove
09-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Drummer for 5 years. I miss my kit. Its sitting in my hometown while I move around all over the country/world.

Have a 70s Ludwig Vistalite kit if anyone wants to buy it for the right price lololol

DS562
09-06-2011, 09:55 PM
does anybody know any ACTIVE guitar enthusiast forums?

slothonaleash
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Instrument: Saxophone
Gear: Selmer super action series II Tenor with c star mouth piece and vandoren blue box strength 4 reeds (SAXOPHONE FUCKING STOLEN)
Now have a shitty Yamaha student model alto
Been playing for 10 years

I still jam all the time with people and am looking at getting a musical education degree.

drift freaq
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
@Freq.. they are M-Audio mini studio monitors. Ill get the model number in a bit.

Ah you might want to look into some better monitors. Oh and throw a rug down on that wood floor. That room has to be freakin live as hell. LOL It will definitely help your mix's.

MikeC
09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
eLD3pO_Dins
A clip from an E.P. I am working on with Cosmic Cloud, a dubstep artist from the east coast. Let me know what you guys think.

drift freaq
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Interesting a bit busy but I think that was the effect you guys were going for. The mix sounds pretty decent. Not sure if I am feeling all the effects it almost sounds more mash up than dub step.

MikeC
09-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Interesting a bit busy but I think that was the effect you guys were going for. The mix sounds pretty decent. Not sure if I am feeling all the effects it almost sounds more mash up than dub step.

thanks man. we weren't going for dubstep. we tried to combine electro house and glitch with dubstep-ish wobbles and such.

kenS14
09-25-2011, 08:09 PM
just incase you guys are in search for a guitar or amp head.

for sale @: http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/394448-esp-ec-1000-marshall-g100rcd.html

DS562
09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
eclipses kick ass. especially on a JSX rig

soooooo does anybody know of any active guitar forums? im in search of a private collector to sell a piece of history to.

Koukisteve29
09-28-2011, 09:49 PM
In high school, I played drums, trombone, french horn, and baritone, no lie lol

But I focus more on drums now.

Experience: 9 years, but barely started practicing about 2 years ago.

Looking for a christian band. Here are some of my videos on youtube.

Drum and Guitar Jam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mu81ddtieA)

and here's a solo....not that good, but made a long time ago

Drum Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIq7Xb-xGFY)

udon!
09-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Experience - 2 years of classical piano from some old lady
3 years private lessons from the Professor of Piano Studies @ UCSD
1st Place @ California Chopin Piano Competition
Played Rachmaninoff concerto No. 2 @ Walt Disney concert hall w/ LA Philharmonic

Performed at carnegie Hall w/ High school choir for ACDA 2009
Performed at Chicago Symphony hall 2010

Auditioning for Julliard in December

DS562
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
i wanna learn how to play piano

Koukisteve29
09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
udon, that's pretty impressive! Good luck in continuing your music career!!

DS562
09-28-2011, 11:38 PM
seriously, i wish i could've seen the Rachmaninoff performance.

zspeedrft
09-28-2011, 11:45 PM
looking for a drummer in the los angeles area..looking to start a dub/reggae/metal band..i play guitar btw

DS562
09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
gonna see Yngwie J. Malmsteen on the 28th of october. fuck yeah.