PDA

View Full Version : charging stations?

DenkiMan!
08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
has anyone seen these around? im assuming its for electric vehicles, me and a couple friends went to buffalo wild wings for lunch today in daytona beach and we saw this in the parking lot. is this a common thing now? first time ive seen it

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz117/Yotsugi08/photo-3.jpg

i know gas stations have them, but this is my first time seeing it just sitting out by itself in a random parking lol. thought it was a fancy tire pump at first

SochBAT
08-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Are you living in a cave? I think Austin is implementing an annual charging fee. I heard it was supposed to be 30/year.

!Zar!
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
These things are all over Norcal.

LimeLite Racing
08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Old news. Hasn't anyone watched who killed the electric car?

!Zar!
08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Haven't seen it.

But I have seen Big Booty Hoes 7.

DenkiMan!
08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
i need to get out more lol

vas570sx
08-30-2011, 11:58 AM
i would say that this isnt a very common thing in florida yet.. i live in west palm beach and have never seen one of these... even at a gas station.

greddy2die
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
i would say that this isnt a very common thing in florida yet.. i live in west palm beach and have never seen one of these... even at a gas station.

ive never seen one of these around either, gas station, parking lot, nowhere

namawon
08-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I havent seen any in fl either. California is bustling with those. I kinda hope it comes to florida soon.

K_style
08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
we got them shit load up here in OR...

KiLLeR2001
08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
None in Orlando.

rat240
08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
in SoCal I've only seen the late 90's version witch I think is only for the old Chevy ev's

FRpilot
08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm kind of eager to see what electric cars will be coming onto the market in the future since I commute almost 100 miles a day and I’m starting to notice I’m getting gas every 3 days at $50+ a fill up.

I’ve been looking at options, but I’m not sure I would get any of today’s offerings since the Leaf only goes about 100 miles on a full charge and I do close to that on my commute alone. If I do a few errands between or after work and forget I might end up getting stranded. There's also no way this car can be taken on road trips since it will need a 2-4hr quick charge every 100 miles.

Also, I think the cars out today are expensive even with tax credits. The Nissan Leaf is raising to $35K for 2012 model and there’s a waiting list for them. Tesla’s electric sedan supposedly has a msrp of $50-60k whenever it comes out. I’m not even sure if the Chevy Volt even came out yet even though they list MSRP on their website at $40k.. It was suppose to save Chevy from collapse since the economy tanked but it seems like it has been delayed forever.

I heard that Honda Fit EV might come out in 2013 and the Mazda 5 might include an all electric model. I would consider buying either of those if they can up the mileage per charge and cost around $22-25k over their gasoline counterparts that cost $17-20k.

DenkiMan!
08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
yea im at school down here. but i see these in dc and maryland all over the place, wasnt quite expecting florida to have it yet i guess

SochBAT
08-30-2011, 09:12 PM
If I had money, I'd totally get an Aptera. It looks retarded, so no one in their right mind would buy it. Convert that bitch to gas and get 200mpg.

axiomatik
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
I’m not even sure if the Chevy Volt even came out yet even though they list MSRP on their website at $40k.. It was suppose to save Chevy from collapse since the economy tanked but it seems like it has been delayed forever.

The Volt has been on sale since December. However, you won't find many on dealer lots at the moment because they shut down production over the summer for the changeover to the 2012 model. Last I read there were about 100 in inventory across the country (not counting demo models).

Also, the Volt was never intended to "save" GM. No one expected it to sell in gigantic numbers right off the bat, it just costs too much to sell in huge numbers, and GM is probably barely making a profit (if any) on them.

delado
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
That would be the coolest shit to hit Florida right before Disney

evomike
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Electric cars will never work the range is too short pre-maturely charging the battery will ruin it, and batteries are extremely expensive. Top gear took a small trip in the new season in electric cars and it sums it up perfectly. They are a novelty to sell cars to people who want people to see them being "green" when in reality driving a 88 crx is more green.

axiomatik
09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Electric cars will never work the range is too short pre-maturely charging the battery will ruin it, and batteries are extremely expensive. Top gear took a small trip in the new season in electric cars and it sums it up perfectly. They are a novelty to sell cars to people who want people to see them being "green" when in reality driving a 88 crx is more green.

That's quite a bold prediction, never in the entire future of human development and technology will people feasibly be able to drive an electric car. What else does your crystal ball foretell?

The fact of the matter is that a very large percentage of two-car households could easily replace one of their vehicles with an electric vehicle today. Right now, I could easily replace my DD with an electric vehicle. Or my wife's. Neither of our commutes is long enough to require anything other than overnight charging in the garage.