PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust system for stock 98 KA 240sx?

Paint209
08-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone, i am new to the site and want to know what is a good exhaust system for my stock 1998 240sx. i want my car to be louder and have a bit more power. So if anyone have any suggestions or any knowledge of where i can find a good brand exhaust, that would help. thanks!

08-28-2011, 02:03 AM
louder? buddy club spec 2

i promise it'll be louder...and sexy ;)

Brentbohn
08-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a HKS Sport exhaust, its great, quiet idle, loud when you punch it, fit and finish is second to none, 85 mm pipe with a REAL muffler not a fart can. only thing is its heavy, get some good isolaters

mad-ass
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Circuit Sports.
wait till they start making them again. had mine since 2007. love it to death.

Butcher240sx
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
its all the same until you get to the muffler. go 3"

zenki14
09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
louder? buddy club spec 2

i promise it'll be louder...and sexy ;)
this exhaust is outta control loud lol with headers and a test pipe it shoots flames though

thesick750
09-12-2011, 10:48 PM
its all the same until you get to the muffler. go 3"

+1 a full system from you local muffler shop will add as much performance as any name brand system. And it's a fraction of the cost. I have a full header back exhaust 2.5" 80 bucks with muffler minus the cat.

ssman19
09-13-2011, 12:01 AM
straight pipe yo

akaina240
09-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Reinhard titanium

fools33
09-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Apexi N1 is a nice 1, not a fart can, but sounds deep

Mustache240
09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
i have the apexi dual n1 exhaust with no cat and love how it sounds

fools33
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
nice, my opinion Apexi is the best exhaust !

EsChassisLove
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Straight pipe. Horrible question BTW. YouTube and the other 46383 threads on this will answer your question

soreballz
09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
+1 a full system from you local muffler shop will add as much performance as any name brand system. And it's a fraction of the cost.
Not unless it's mandrel-bent and properly welded. Most muffler shops crush bend pipes, and the welds inside the pipes are really thick and boogered up. These things lead to poor flow and shitty sound.
Hell, the last shop that made an exhaust for me didn't end expand the pipes to join them together or butt them up to each other for welding. For each new piece he added, he rolled the edge of the pipe inward so they'd fit together easier while his lazy ass welded them together. smfh...

Proper custom exhausts aren't cheap. If it's crush bent, it will NOT perform better than any name brand system.

OP: If you want to stay somewhat low-key, while still making lovely noises and feeling some extra oomph, you basically have three options:
1 - Circuit Sports dual tip
2 - Apexi World Sport
3 - RSR Exmag

If you don't care about being low-key, the Blitz NurSpec makes an absolutely beautiful noise.

4-20sx
09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Well I got the Megan type 2 exhaust..3in piping. Black color. Looks
Completely stock looking but is loud but not too loud. YouTube it...
I lovE how it sounds. Normal driving isn't too loud at all but punch it and it def opens up. I do have an sr20 though with a test pipe n 3pm downPipe lol

lalo167
09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Blitz Nurspec! Nice deep tone!

rebornS14
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
APEXi NOIR 3" Catback

perfect for NA, low key cause its black and doesn't stick out like a fart can and still performs when you go TURBO cause its 3" to the muffler

NOIR Muffler, 1995-1998 Nissan 240SX, (S14) APEX Integration (http://apexi-usa.com/shop/index.php/noir-muffler-1993-1995-mazda-rx-8.html)

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/blitzkrg/apex'i_s14noir_1.jpg

punn303
09-15-2011, 12:54 AM
JIC titanium was my favorite when it came to loud and aggresive. HKS hi power without a resonator would be second. IMO

RedSiBaron
09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Seriously? You want an exhaust to make your car loud? How about find an exhaust that improves performance the most and supports your future plans for the car, spend your money once, and let it sound like it sounds. If you do it right, it will sound good.

If you're planning on leaving the drivetrain stock, then just leave the stock exhaust, because just an aftermarket exhaust wont get you anything besides attention from the cops, and everyone laughing at you.

thesick750
09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Proper custom exhausts aren't cheap. If it's crush bent, it will NOT perform better than any name brand system.

I see what your saying, however some muffler shops have mandrial (however you spell it) pipes already and the only time they crush bend them is for slight modification. All my pipes fine. If they were crush bent I would be a minimal performance difference IMO.
I'm not trying to argue with anyone, to each his own. I'll stick with my full exhaust for 80 bucks and people are more then welcom to drop a few hundred for 3 extra HP.

DenkiMan!
09-15-2011, 11:15 AM
actually does anyone have experience or seen obx exhausts w/ the ka?? when i bought my car, the full catback came with the sale, but wasnt installed...it was in the trunk. its now collecting dust in a garage

havent installed it yet due to fear of an obscenely loud and shitty sounding exhaust, although i am very curious. trying to find youtube vids of it isnt that easy either. trying to sell it also is a challenge because well....no one likes obx

s13 4rey
09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Have a Kakimoto on my Ka.I love it this shit is mean.It make a diff,sound like no other.Good luck to you.

rebornS14
09-15-2011, 10:57 PM
actually does anyone have experience or seen obx exhausts w/ the ka?? when i bought my car, the full catback came with the sale, but wasnt installed...it was in the trunk. its now collecting dust in a garage

havent installed it yet due to fear of an obscenely loud and shitty sounding exhaust, although i am very curious. trying to find youtube vids of it isnt that easy either. trying to sell it also is a challenge because well....no one likes obx

its trash, scrap it.

TheRealSy90
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Isis 3" straight with 4" tips. :D

NoPistons!
09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
+1 a full system from you local muffler shop will add as much performance as any name brand system. And it's a fraction of the cost. I have a full header back exhaust 2.5" 80 bucks with muffler minus the cat.

This.

They say backpressure isn't nearly as important as exhaust scavenging but for under $300, you can have a nice exhaust from exhaust ports all the way to the tip if you dont go the ebay/brand name route other than the header and maybe a muffler if you're into that sort of thing but cheap mufflers sound like shit after the horrible packing burns out of them. Just keep that in mind. S14 shorty header bolts right to an sr downpipe. I'd like to try out that, to my sr3" dp, rebuild my 2.5" midsection (it's seen better days. The low car life flattened it out in some spots) and install the ugly pipes i built:

We dont have emissions and fuck cops. Aspec pipes? $100. My pipes? $15. Flux cored ninja.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff457/potatoesbarnaby/100_2728.jpg

I dont recommend it but hey, it looks cool imo....

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff457/potatoesbarnaby/100_2711.jpg

FYI, the thicker the piping, the deeper the tone. DIY/custom/muffler shop exhausts all the way. All the money you save you can spend on some header/exhaust wrap. THat will not only help keep the heat where it needs to be but keep the tone low as well. Hey, you said "stock ka". Fuck it. If you had any idea how hard it is to make power squeeze on one of those without the gas, bc stroker kit, turbo or some very serious money, you wouldn't care about 2-5hp.

SRTFerg
09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
I would go with the Megan type 2 or whatever its called. Looks stock so the cops dont harass you and you can get it in up to 3in piping I think and it sounds nasty when you get on it.

slydin240sx
09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I have the Buddy Club spec 2 on my kade s14. It's extremely loud and raspy as all hell without the silencer. But I run it with the silencer in 98% of the time and it sounds decent, yet still semi loud. I have yet to be pulled over for my exhaust. I have a header to test pipe to the exhaust with a slight resonated section in the exhaust system itself.

Skilz10179
09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I've been using the HKS Hi power 85mm exhaust on my stock KA for years and i love it. Its pretty quiet and at WOT its nice and deep, never any rasp.

Brentbohn
10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I've been using the HKS Hi power 85mm exhaust on my stock KA for years and i love it. Its pretty quiet and at WOT its nice and deep, never any rasp.

And I have had the HKS Sport 85 mm cat back for a year now and love it, great product, great welds, no install problems, the sport has same 85 mm pipe but with a traditional muffler and single tip, cuts down inside noise significantly compared to hi power, flow is still great, but under 3k its insanely quiet, above 3k sounds just like the high power but doesnt pop and spudder when you let off the gas.

I picked mine up online from an hks vender jsc speed for about 400 bucks, zero issues and alot of compliments on the pipe. IIRC the above guy needs to remeasure his pipe, the hi power is generally a 75 mm pipe with a 85 mm tip on it, my sport is 10mm bigger pipe going to the muffler, probably to account for the back pressure this muffler has. so if you were going to go turbo you would already have a pipe that is over 3 inches, just hack the muffler off and add a fart cannon if thats what you want.

I almost got the hi power till I realized nobody was rocking the sport and that generally the straight thru mufflers all sound very simular and fucking loud, so thats when I looked at megan type 2 which has reports of the packing burning out , the apex noir which is spendy, and the brm magna flow setup which I have driven a 240 with and its fucking loud and has grunt, for a daily I thought it was a bit too much but sounds better than all others Ive heard, so I gave hks sport a try, it has the low tone of the brm with out the resonince sounds.

Alot of info here, just giving my 2 cents, I have had a straight pipe, a resonated drifter art of ryo exhaust, a pencil tip fart cannon and now the hks sport,,, maybe I am getting old but this doesnt get me pulled over nor does it sound too quiet when I give it gas.

All testing done on a 98 without a cat, if you put the cat on the other exhaust systems prolly sound awesomely quiet too

Silvia716
10-05-2011, 01:32 AM
its just piping a full exuast will add hp no matter the brand you will gain 15-25hp i have a god speed headers, catless to a 3" fapexi n1 i would probly only gain 5 hp going with hks but i spent 250$ for the hole system and hks wants 700 just for the cat back once the muffler comes unpacked in a year or so ill just cut it off and weld a hks muffler on for an other 200$ if you want cheap power do it with simple things like this, and buy the big brand name shit when it comes to engine internals

Ps my 240 sounds like a fucking monster lol

akaina240
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Reinhard all the way
Reinhard Exhaust on 240sx - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZHaE5yx2w)

Paint209
11-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Reinhard all the way
Reinhard Exhaust on 240sx - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZHaE5yx2w)

any place where i can find one of these beauties? seen em on frsport, but it doesnt show price. looks like its made from japan also