PDA

View Full Version : Australia to CA

SMDrift
08-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,

My wife and I are thinking of making a temporary move to the states in early 2013 for a few years.

After we get all the work/visa stuff sorted we wish to settle down as close as possible to Adam's Motorsport Park to take part in the Thursday Night Drifting.

The only thing is, what are the better suburbs around the area to rent(lease). We've looked at a few apartments in Riverside online that look ok... basically we don't want to go by what a rental website says and find out that the area is really bad if you know what I mean.

We're looking at paying between 200-350 week rent, if that helps at all!

The next question is, we're hoping to bring our drift car over from Aus, does anyone rent out garage spaces to keep cars or do you just keep them at your rental property? Do service stations(gas stations I think) allow you to hire trailers from there? how does that work??!

Sorry if this is a little confusing, the Aussie language is a little different sometimes!

Cheers guys :)

dking240sx
08-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Adams sucks! It's a go-cart track! Second off all riverside is koo if u like reallyhot weather and really cold weather! Renting conditions we pay monthly here it's about800+ depends were u go! Good luck

maxroach
08-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Where you from Mate? i came from Perth, WA and Member of SAU-WA.. moved here since dec 2009 for good.. for me, car scene here are not that different compare to Au, only different is that, its hard to get or to bring Skys or
silvias over here. had R32 and R33 but sold it because lots of paper works and the TAX are way too high. and you cannot register it in here without passing thru california emmission and safety... for tracks/off road use only.. LA is great, only down fall is Traffic.. :-)

SMDrift
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Adams sucks! It's a go-cart track! Second off all riverside is koo if u like reallyhot weather and really cold weather! Renting conditions we pay monthly here it's about800+ depends were u go! Good luck

haha thanks for the info! I'm from Adelaide, SA so thats pretty much what our weather is like anyway.

The appeal for Adam's is the weekly drift thing... unless anyone knows of any other tracks that do this close by?

We would be travelling about 2 hours to enter the closest Pro Am event also... but just wanted to make the move purely for drift!

Hopefully we can get some sponsorship to get the S14 to the states, it is track only anyway so won't need to worry about any of the rego stuff thankfully.

Ithical
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

My wife and I are thinking of making a temporary move to the states in early 2013 for a few years.

After we get all the work/visa stuff sorted we wish to settle down as close as possible to Adam's Motorsport Park to take part in the Thursday Night Drifting.

The only thing is, what are the better suburbs around the area to rent(lease). We've looked at a few apartments in Riverside online that look ok... basically we don't want to go by what a rental website says and find out that the area is really bad if you know what I mean.

We're looking at paying between 200-350 week rent, if that helps at all!

The next question is, we're hoping to bring our drift car over from Aus, does anyone rent out garage spaces to keep cars or do you just keep them at your rental property? Do service stations(gas stations I think) allow you to hire trailers from there? how does that work??!

Sorry if this is a little confusing, the Aussie language is a little different sometimes!

Cheers guys :)

Not really sure about the Adams for rent. Most trailer rents go through U-haul not gas stations. For renting, you will NOT want to have your track car anywhere near your rental place. Usually they only allow 1-2 parking spaces unless it has a garaged area in which it will only be a 1 car garage. You may have to rent a storage unit from a storage place to hold the cars which can get expensive. Also getting your cars into the US is gunna be another tricky part getting them past US customs, I don't know how that works but you will have to research that as well.

SMDrift
08-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Cheers for the info! we're looking at all the customs stuff atm and have had a chat with an Importer already who has been awesome with information. It won't be cheap thats for sure, but the car is competition ready... so would save us buying a car and then doing it all up ect ect.

Do you know if E85 is readily available as well?

Obviously we're still researching everything still with a few years to plan everything so it all helps!

SMDrift
08-29-2011, 12:28 AM
After reading some interesting stuff about the weekly drifting at Adam's and the stuff with Irwindale, we're thinking that Willow Springs International Motorsport Park events sound a little better! Obviously this means a bit of a change in our plans ect, but the track looks awesome.

Do they tend to more than monthly events/practice??