PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from a person who bought but never registered it

IBoughtAS13
08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok guys, I want to buy a car from Ohio and bring it to NY. I will drive there and bring it back on a UHaul as it need a motor.

The problem is that the current "owner," did not register the car and has all his info under the buyer section.

I once bought a car like this, but luckily the buyer section was not filled out on the title. I had the guy, who I bought the car from, sign the bill of sale. When I went to the DMV, I had to either get the original person who's name was on the title to sign the bill of sale or pay 3,500 for a 1991 Supra with 151,xxx on the Odometer with a blown motor. I just got a new form and signed the person's name, who the title was in. Yes, I know all the legal problem that can bring but I had no clue where to find that guy.

So, does anyone know what I would do if I buy the car where the title is filled out with another buyer's info who never registered the car, but sold it?

Buying in Ohio, registering in NYC. The car is a 2001, if it make a difference.

Thanks.

tuforteee
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
once i bought a 300zx and the title was signed over at least 4 times on the back... it was some weird stuff, but i just got a bill of sale from the person that was last on the "list" and went to DMV and registered it without any problems...
EDIT: Car was from NJ i think, registered in NY (upper Westchester, don't know if they would give you more crap in Queens)

IBoughtAS13
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Really four times, how did they do that?

I would probably have to go to a million DMV's to try that. So they just kept taking out person after person's name by running a line through it?

I don't want to buy the car, rebuild the motor with all new parts and then have a run around or paying a load of money to register it when it is not worth all of it in the condition I BOUGHT it in.

tuforteee
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
yeah, they said that as long as the person signed the title over to the other person 4 times it's ok... i was sceptical about it too, but the guy said he would take it back if it didnt work, so i bought the car... and yea i would think at DMVs in the city it would be a bit harder to pull off

orion::S14
08-24-2011, 07:15 AM
I would NOT buy ANY ca without a proper, clean title...in the sellers name.

He needs register it, and get a title in his name (most states will print one that day, for a fee).

Then he can sign that title over to you.

Anything else will be a headache, and you'll most likely get screwed.

If it means taxes and fees for him...than that's a point to negotiate.

But I WOULD NOT hand over any $$$ without receiving a proper title. It's often a nightmare to straighten out.

- Brian

TheWolf
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
I would NOT buy ANY ca without a proper, clean title...in the sellers name.

He needs register it, and get a title in his name (most states will print one that day, for a fee).

Then he can sign that title over to you.

Anything else will be a headache, and you'll most likely get screwed.

If it means taxes and fees for him...than that's a point to negotiate.

But I WOULD NOT hand over any $$$ without receiving a proper title. It's often a nightmare to straighten out.

- Brian
+1. He signed it. He owns it. He just doesn't want to pay the sales tax on it.

IBoughtAS13
08-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Ofcourse, I am nit handing any money over. I do this all the time, buy a car, let the seller sign the title and a DMV Bill of sale, fix it, then sell it back. It is simple but I don't know why this guy put his info in the buyer section.

Here is a picture of the car, needs a motor, chain snapped and it is an interference head.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898ad9-72d7-15bc.jpg

blueshark123
08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I say dont buy it cause its not worth the trouble unless u part it out lol. Tell the dumbass to get a new title

silviaguy240
08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
dont do it haha. how much is he asking for it? im currently trying to sell my 01, nice cars but they can be expensive. if the chain snapped, who knows what else may be wrong since he neglected it that much.

IBoughtAS13
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
It is an 01 as well. We have a shop, so building the motor is not a problem at all. That's all in house. He said he will get a new title in his name.

He bought it from the original owner, obviously, someone was skimping out on the oil changed. This is the first BMW I have ever seen snap a timing chain.

sr20sean
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
have him file to get a new title with the previous owner. it usually only costs like 20 bucks