PDA

View Full Version : Decided to major in Computer Information Systems...

1ZlowZ
08-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Now its something I've wanted to try and learn and stuff, but is there a job market for it?

Gnnr
08-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Yeah, just dont get into any tech support desk job garbage. Get into higher level things.

SimpleS14
08-18-2011, 04:33 AM
Yes, but it's recommend you do an internship while you're still in school. Out of the gate, you can probably get into consulting (think Big 4). You might not get paid much, but you'll learn a lot in a short period of time if you apply yourself.

biggie
08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
What I majored in. Was doing mainframe programming out of college, but have been doing reporting/analyst work for a hospital for the last 4 years and think it worked out well.

juicyjay
08-18-2011, 07:51 AM
What I majored in. Was doing mainframe programming out of college, but have been doing reporting/analyst work for a hospital for the last 4 years and think it worked out well.

whats the pay like

1ZlowZ
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Wondering that too, whats the pay like in this field. I know it varies from job to job.

silverarrow27
08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Entry level can start you off around $25k a year and depending where you go up in the Chain and which company, look at six figures a year and not doing jack besides browse the web all day with a stable infrastructure. I think you made a good decision because the job market in the computer field is just going to grow!

1ZlowZ
08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Also, what certificates would be good to get.

Right now I'm doing netware certificate and Database Administration Cert.

the a3k
08-19-2011, 11:08 PM
thats the major i switched to as well. right now im working at a retail store doing tech work like repairs and such but that place is the devil.

most jobs require a degree so hopefully it'll land me at a nice position in the near future.

gt-r time? yep

Gnnr
08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Wondering that too, whats the pay like in this field. I know it varies from job to job.

I wouldn't take less than $18/hr or $36K.

yokotas13
08-20-2011, 01:51 PM
go airforce com and get your certificates. free school and certs

wuddup
08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I just switched my major from Mechanical Engineering to Business Informatics (Computer information systems with a side-focus on business management). Hopefully works out well for me lol. The computer programming part takes a lot of time from me, I barely have time to do other things...lol.

imotion s14
08-20-2011, 04:16 PM
If you weren't into computer stuff since you were a kid then you're going to have no chance against this guy.

http://www.nakedfanmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/computer+nerd+++Limpet+21.jpg

Yellow4g63
08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
If you weren't into computer stuff since you were a kid then you're going to have no chance against this guy.

http://www.nakedfanmail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/computer+nerd+++Limpet+21.jpg

I LoLed at your pic. My friend too the same major but he didn't get any experience when he was going to school. In the end he wasn't able to get a job in the IT field. I do IT work on and off, I go from Telcom to IT with the drop of a hat. I found most places just want the experience and not wanting to pay for it lol.

cured13
08-20-2011, 05:09 PM
^ like that, don't waste your time, lots of jobs get outsourced.
I graduated Information System Technology and couldnt find job for many years.
Ended up as a technician, waste of time and minimum pay.
Anywhere you look they expect you to have lot's of experience and replace couple of guys with you for bullshit pay.
Couple times a week I pick up the phone and companies from India etc. offer their services for fracture of what you pay here.
IT was hot for a couple of years but is not anymore.

Yellow4g63
08-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Seems like after 2k it was going down.

atom
08-20-2011, 10:46 PM
You can still make money in the field if you're good. Senior level engineers can still make six figures at most of the big IT companies. But it's definitely not like when I graduated ~10 years ago where everyone was landing $55k+ jobs straight out of college. You gotta pay your dues now. Experience outside of normal coursework definitely recommended.

Just don't get stuck in some shitty help desk job. No upward mobility, you're just wasting time.

the a3k
08-20-2011, 11:30 PM
damn, this is depressing. but then again, look at unemployment in every field. just gotta go out there, be the best, and if someone is better than you, kick their ass