PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber sheets...

Turboed240
11-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Can someone tell me where I can get the sheets of carbon fiber. I need to make a trim piece for my gauges. I know I saw them somewhere but I cant remember where. Thanks in advance.

h3x11
11-18-2003, 10:19 AM
check with http://www.carb.com, and http://www.shopmaninc.com they sell carbon fiber sheets

justinhustle
11-18-2003, 11:03 AM
carbontrix.com

No Motiv
11-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Yeah Carbontrix.com. They sell em and they are really good qualtiy. i bought a small sheet to make some engine dress ups, good decision, pretty cheap also, if you know what your doing.

Phlip
11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
www.aircraftspruce.com

madwilly240
11-21-2003, 10:05 PM
how do you cut carbon fiber? knife?

Phlip
11-22-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by madwilly240
how do you cut carbon fiber? knife?
While you still have the sheets, it is like cloth, so a shop knife will do, you know kinda like a big boxcutter... Once the resin has set and you have a solid, you will need someting stronger, like a band saw or power tools. It's not invincible and can be cut when necessary without an exhorbitant amount of effort...

exitspeed
11-22-2003, 01:55 PM
so let me get this straight. You can buy the carbon fiber sheets from carbontrix and they are still flexible and then you add resin to them to harden it?

Phlip
11-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by exitspeed
so let me get this straight. You can buy the carbon fiber sheets from carbontrix and they are still flexible and then you add resin to them to harden it?
I never got or used any from carbontrix, because I have always had an aircraftspruce catalog around my house and they are sure to have a good quality product for a lower price, but yes... It comes in sheets, like cloth and you mix and spreas the resin over your cut piece and form it to dry, usually takes 6-12 hours, depending on temperature, and you wanna try to have it in at LEAST 60 degree temperature to do it effectively... You can usually get the resin from aircraft supply/maintence places (usually referred to as FBOs)locally, like out at the airport where the small general aviation planes go to for fuel/maintenece/inspection and get the resin for them. The best reason for that is that ordering it in would mean you have to pay a fee to transport the hazardous material...