PDA

View Full Version : NEW HERE...howzit!

Project_sr_240
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello all..i've been on the site now a few , have gone thru the FAQs and read lots and lots about this project my son and I took on.
HISTORY: i was a KA24DE-T guy, and had 2 turbo charged 91/94 240 hatches one w/a built motor and another with was donated to a "DRIFT PROJECT" that never really panned out. The other was donated to a DRIFTER that wrecked it into a wall..and I've haven't seen it since. So i know my way around the 240KA's, just not so much with the SRs. We are trying to learn and know as much as possible about this platform.
Fast FORWARD > my son is 18 and has only been driving about a year now...I had for him a 1999 Mitsubishi GSX (DONE) top to bottom. OF COURSE it should not have been the 1st car..but it was in expensive..blah blah..blah. Well, needless to say he wrecked and totaled it in GMR..
Fast FORWARD> 2 months w/out a car, the insurance paid out and the decision was made to get a 240SX w/an SR motor in it. FOUND ONE!! it ran, had a TypeX BlackTop...w/150 compression across all 4 cylinders! Looking past the cosmetics (cracked dash kine) it was what we were looking for. The plan was to help get the car SAFE and then all the bling/shiny/ FORM stuff was on my son to get.
Fast FOWARD> in the past few months WE realized that the car is OVER 20Y old!! within weeks the: Brake master had to be replaced, went for new tires and the wheels were warped, an exhaust hangar broke, the fuel sending unit went out (found out bc the seal on the tank was bad, BIG RAW gas smell inside the cabin), the struts are bad...and the list can go on...but ONE thing was the FMIC (looks like an Ebay knockoff) wasn't bracketed or mounted, it was being held in place w/the connectors and piping :eek2:

So far:
fuel sending unit, added fan shroud, new radiator and hoses, put in Greddy BOV to replace the ebay one, new brake master, new rims/tires, replaced motor cycle battery with a miata battery and custom tie down, new power steering hose...im sure there's other things im missing...

We aren't having any engine problems, some electrical (front blinker lights keep blowing bulbs, or turn on but do not blink), the wiring is kinda thrown in so it'll get cleaned up.

ONE ISSUE that has been buggin me !!!! after cleaning up and routing the vac lines to/from: turbo wastegate actuator, bov..it seems we're OVERBOOSTING.. it used to hit 7lbs solid (no boost creep), and now it goes up and up and up! its been as high as 17lbs (feels like old times), but i know its not safe being on the stock injectors and NO TUNING. ON the day that this started the ONLY things replaced were worn vac lines, and instead of routing from the T's off the left nipple (which seemed to be running everything) i capped off one nipple on the t, and routed the right side nipple to the wastegate actuator..thinking that the signal might not be correct (in testing) i've since put it back to the way it was..but the problem continues. having gone back and forth so many times checking the boost readings w/2 diff gauges...the car is still being babied until we can figure out this problem. IF ANY1 has any insight to this problem I'd appreciate it...

Anywho..we'll be getting some b4 and after pics up soon. If there's any suggestions, comments (good and bad) we'll be happy to entertain them. This site seems full of good information and we've already learned a lot, and are looking forward to learning more.

-A.

fliprayzin240sx
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
What kind of wastegate are you running? I got a feeling you forgot to connect a vacuum line to the wastegate if you're running an internal one. Its either that or the wastegate is stuck close.

Project_sr_240
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Internal OEM wastegate. All vac lines are connected. There are no open vac ports open. My initial thought was the wastegate we stuck also. I took the e clip off the arm, gate opens freely and the actuator arm moves with a little effort..
I appreciate your reading my 1st post.
A.