PDA

View Full Version : Any Border Patrol Agents?

jesse_s13
08-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Thinking about applying. Do you guys like your job and was it hard to obtain?
Also what are the requirments because ive been hearing alot of mixed answers?

Thanks.:hitit::hitit:

Corbic
08-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Thinking about applying. Do you guys like your job and was it hard to obtain?
Also what are the requirments because ive been hearing alot of mixed answers?

Thanks.:hitit::hitit:

If your serious, start researching for yourself.

5 seconds -

CBP - Career Descriptions (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/customs_careers/border_careers/)

Looks like it answers all your questions and more.

jesse_s13
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the link. Still want to hear personal opinions...

jdm538
08-06-2011, 11:26 PM
The hiring process for border patrol or any law enforcement is very competitive.

Here is the process.

1. Apply
2. If you meet minimum qualifications you will receive a test date
3. If you pass the test, you will move on to either the physical test or oral interview
4. Depending on the agency you may be subject to a psychological test
5. If you pass all the above you move on to the probationary period

Law enforcement is a great CAREER. If you receive a test date make sure to pass the test. There are study guides out there. Only a select few can make it through the complete process.

upsdude
08-07-2011, 12:20 AM
my wife's cousin joined border patrol about 2 years ago. out of the chp, lapd, and a few other local law enforcement agencies border patrol ended up hiring him. i think they were going through a hiring surge when he applied because he wasn't having any luck anywhere...he even tried las vegas pd and was cut even though he made all it through all the backround tests and interviews :P

ironically he came here illegally when he was a kid lol

chuki.s13.coupe.
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Isn't it pretty dangerous to be a border patrol agent right now? With all the drug violence in Mexico.

tqstarburst
08-07-2011, 01:55 AM
^ not if you got the balls to protect your country.

Apply and look for requirements here. This is a Goverment hiring website. Simply search anything you'd be interested on working.

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site (http://www.usajobs.com/)

Corbic
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Isn't it pretty dangerous to be a border patrol agent right now? With all the drug violence in Mexico.

I'd be more concerned with being hung-out to dry by my own Government for political reasons.

Just look at those two poor bastards that shot a drug runner in the butt, not only lost their jobs but also got 10 years in prison. :bash:

theicecreamdan
08-07-2011, 09:18 AM
I've got a friend in the border patrol, he loves his job.

You'll probably be standing at a checkpoint for a year or more before you start a "cool" job.

It can be dangerous, there have been agents murdered.

ZenkiKid
08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
The thing is with these Homeland security type jobs is that the pre-process is LONG.

I did my senior thesis on ICE, but their pre-process is virtually the same as CBP.

-There is a logic test that is heavy on math
-the background check can take up to a year
-The academy is 6 months long.
- The pre-process length depends on how much they have in the budget.

So yeah, it can take up to a year and a half before you really get on the field and start making real money.

Granted if you have a college degree and graduated with a 3.5 (If I remember right) you will start with a pay grade that is 2 grades higher than the un-college educated guy.

You ALWAYS have to be on call, day off or not you have to be ready to drop whatever youre doing if youre called in.

They dont have overtime, they have something called LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay). IMO This is whack because instead of possibly earning more through overtime you instead get a lump sum added to your salary. They base your LEAP pay as 10% of yearly salary.

So yeah.. if youre looking into this as a quick pick up then you are barking up the wrong tree, like said before me it is very competitive so if you are down then go for it but be prepared for the long wait.

sidewaysil80
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
funny you posted this up, i'm taking my written test for cbp in september. they give you a study guide via mail. the written test also includes a language aptitude test and it tests your ability to learn a new language. the most drops (i'm not talking out of my ass a few guys from my last unit are currently cbp) are because of the inability to learn spanish. they teach it while it at the academy but you really have to bust your ass and focus on learning it.

jesse_s13
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Got my test date its aug 31st im pumped. I dont mind the long wait i changed my major to criminal justice so i guess waiting would only make me more money. Granted if i get in...

BarrigaS14
08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
The process for BP is very long. You might get pass certain parts and not know it and then randomly get a call saying "go to this." So be patient. Also know that with the surge there have been reports of people on the line getting very bored. It's one of those things with more people on the border + less coming over = less to do. Also depending on where you end up, determines how much action you might see.

One good place you can go to is officer.com They have a section there for BP guys.

If you are looking for law enforcement I would personally go with a city police. It took me almost 2 years to get onto an agency (also looked out of state) before I got on. I am 14wks into a 19wk program right now and it is well worth the effort spent.

ESmorz
08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Border Patrol, what a joke.

Matej
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
ironically he came here illegally when he was a kid lol
Something like that should automatically disqualify one from ever being eligible.
This makes me agree with Mr. ESmorz above.

drift freaq
08-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Something like that should automatically disqualify one from ever being eligible.

I can agree with you guys on this as well.

theicecreamdan
08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
yeah because a kid had any choice in the matter?

Apparently he ended up going through the trouble of legitimizing his presence here, so I don't see any problem.

ESmorz
08-08-2011, 09:52 PM
My stance on the Border Patrol has nothing to do with that immigrant agent.

Brian
08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
kill or be kill.

upsdude
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM

he came here in the 80's when reagan granted that mass amnesty so for all intents and purposes he's a bonafide citizen. i just brought it up since it was just so ironic. and whatever your opinion of the border patrol, the guys who are out in the field have it tough.

on one hand you've got smugglers and coyotes attacking them with rocks, guns...hell i think one agent was actually was run over by cartel thugs driving a hummer. but they've also got their hands tied because if they use too much force they're demonized as being racist, anti latino, blah blah blah.

bb4_96
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I'd be more concerned with being hung-out to dry by my own Government for political reasons.

Just look at those two poor bastards that shot a drug runner in the butt, not only lost their jobs but also got 10 years in prison. :bash:

Everyone already forgot about this. It fucking pays better to be crooked.