PDA

View Full Version : No Start Situation with SR20DET Blacktop

c4lvin
08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having a no-start situation on my S14...

- '95 S14 with S13 Blacktop SR20DET
- Dash lights/dummy lights come on, AC vent fans come on, wipers work, headlights work, lights do NOT dim when in start position on key
- Able to push start the car (that's how I got home)
- No difference when jumping the battery to start
- Able to spin/start the starter when jumping the two posts on the starter together with screwdriver. That leads me to believe the solenoid on the starter is bad.
- Ignition and starter fuses are good
- Already replaced ignition switch with new OEM one

I've found that ISIS and Mishimoto make brand new replacement starters for the SR20DET. Before I go out and buy a starter (or even do a headswap from a KA starter and do a rebuild), does anyone have any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Car in question:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/5999698325_ed92803123_z.jpg

marat
08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
check the ground on the starter to make sure it didn't come off, it happens quite often

Taylor008
08-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Is this a fresh swap or did it start doing this out-of-the-blue?

c4lvin
08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
The ground looks fine from above the car in the bay (haven't had a chance to get the car up in the air) and it started randomly (not a new swap). It's started once after it initially died and thought it was the ignition switch as I was tinkering on the steering column and it started after that.

marat
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Your relay could have crapped out even though that's rare, but wouldn't hurt to check anyways,you can tell that the relay works if it makes a clicking sound when you crank the motor.Also did you try tapping the solenoid on the starter with a crowbar,maybe its stuck.

c4lvin
08-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Your relay could have crapped out even though that's rare, but wouldn't hurt to check anyways,you can tell that the relay works if it makes a clicking sound when you crank the motor.Also did you try tapping the solenoid on the starter with a crowbar,maybe its stuck.

There's absolutely no noise when you try to crank/put the key in the start position; the starter makes no click or clunk at all like it's not even trying to engage or start.

Where is the relay at? Engine bay relays or the kick panel relays?

marat
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
its in the fuse box under the hood. On the s14 it's called the Clutch interlock Relay (ASCD).

c4lvin
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
its in the fuse box under the hood. On the s14 it's called the Clutch interlock Relay (ASCD).

I will take a look tonight, thanks.

I was reading around, but this applies to S13s, is it the same thing pretty much (location different obviously):
http://www.zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/106125-how-diagnose-no-start-bad-clutch-bypass-system-56k-warn.html
Maybe the little button under the clutch pedal as well?

marat
08-05-2011, 01:12 PM
yeah,give that thread a shot. But if i were you i would still go under the car and double check all the connections, because if the car didnt start randomly then it is very likely that some of the connections are loose/off.

c4lvin
08-05-2011, 01:16 PM
yeah,give that thread a shot. But if i were you i would still go under the car and double check all the connections, because if the car didnt start randomly then it is very likely that some of the connections are loose/off.

I need to see if I can jump the starter into cranking with a voltmeter as well.

I've lagged on getting the car in the air because my neighborhood frowns upon having a car jacked up in front of the house. Whatever, I'll do it ASAP.

Thanks for the info.

c4lvin
08-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Turns out it WAS that stupid ass button on the pedal that engages the clutch switch. :stupid: