PDA

View Full Version : Main hoop for roll bar

krazy4
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I am currently working at a chassis shop for the summer. We have all the tools to properly make a roll bar/cage and even full chassis cars. I'm pretty good with a tig welder, and can lay some really nice beads with a mig. I hate mig welding though. lol Unfortunately, when I go back to school, I won't have a tubing bender and I will only have access to a mig welder.

I will be building a 5 point roll bar to NHRA specs. This car will be a pure drag car and nothing more. Hoping to run consistant 10.90s. Trying to make the car as light as possible and would use moly but I won't have access to a tig welder.

So my question is, is there anywhere that sells just the mild steel main hoop for an S13 Coupe? Or is there another car that fits the S13 well?

I can make the side bars and the two rear braces myself.

I will miss working with the proper tools and will have to work with what I got.

I appreciate the help!
Thanks.

krazy4
08-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Bump!

The message you have entered is to short. Please lengthen your message to atleast 10 characters. lol

RedSiBaron
08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Just google it...make sure you use dom tubing and double check your wall thickness to nhra rules.

I think frsport sells tubing, im sure summit racing and jegs and speedwaymotors all sell the tubing you need.

As for a pre made hoop, your best bet is probably autopower

codyace
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
S&W Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts (http://www.swracecars.com)

krazy4
08-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Just google it...make sure you use dom tubing and double check your wall thickness to nhra rules.

I think frsport sells tubing, im sure summit racing and jegs and speedwaymotors all sell the tubing you need.

As for a pre made hoop, your best bet is probably autopower
I tried googling it, and wasn't coming up with much.

I don't need to use DOM tubing so I'm gonna save some money there.

I'm not worried about buying the tubing. I can't bend the tubing, that's why I wanted to get the main hoop seperately.

S&W Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts (http://www.swracecars.com)

Thanks for the link. It looks like they have an 8 point roll bar for the 240. I only need 5 points, so I'll call them up and see what they can do.

RedSiBaron
08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Does the hoop, per nhra rules, have to be one continuous piece, or can it have weld seams? If you can have welds, then why not buy pre bent tubes that you can trim to angle and weld them to straight tubing

krazy4
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Does the hoop, per nhra rules, have to be one continuous piece, or can it have weld seams? If you can have welds, then why not buy pre bent tubes that you can trim to angle and weld them to straight tubing
It has to be one piece. Too bad it does, otherwise I was gonna do what you're saying.