PDA

View Full Version : GT3 Car setups grip/drift

95Blue240sx
11-08-2003, 01:23 AM
whats going on, its 12:30 and im playing some gt3. i need a great setup for the R34 1041hp skyline! it just understeers. i got a s14 kouki that i drift, its awsome!!

Warwick5s
11-08-2003, 01:32 AM
www.gtvault.com

BadMoJo
11-08-2003, 01:40 AM
yeah thats the prob wit teh high power AWD cars, they plow snow like a mofo.. You just need to tweek the susp jut right and it will all come together. I was able to tamemy 1000+hp r34. it just took some time tweekin the susp just right.

95Blue240sx
11-08-2003, 10:01 AM
please excuse badmojo's typing as he is under the influence. i think when he drinks his fingers get fat or something.

BadMoJo
11-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Haha :D

Yeah, my fingers get chubby and I just mash the keys. ;)

Crab Walker
11-08-2003, 01:15 PM
I forgot what I did, but I mamaged to get my r34 V-specII up to 1080 hp, 8.9 in the quater, and 268 mph top speed. And then my friend stole my memory card....:mad:

Anyway, I dont know how to drift with the r34, I can half ass drift with a s13. All I did was take the traction control and stability control off...

GotDriftS14
11-08-2003, 06:40 PM
hmmm...

well first of all, to drift the R34, you are gonna want to de-tune it a bit. start by switching to a smaller turbo, because the Stage 4 is gonna be way too jumpy to control while sideways. The R34 i have is the Nismo GTR R-Tune, so i'm not sure if everything is the same as yours. For parts, i am using a Stage 1 turbo with a fully modified engine and Sport level intercooler which is making 607HP. For drivetrain, i use a 2-Plate clutch and normal transmission, customizeable LSD, carbon DS and racing flywheel. And for drifting, Simulation tires are always my choice. For suspension tuning, i am running 13K in the front, and 12.2k in the rear for springs, with ride height fully dropped. Shocks are set at 10/9 in the front, and 9/7 in the rear. Camber is -3.5 front and -3 rear. Toe is 0 and stabilizers are level 7 front and rear. For brakes, i like to have them set to 24 front and 1 rear. This allows me to control the front brakes only witht he brake button, and the rear brakes with the Ebrake button, works great for drifting, but not for grip. For the LSD tuning, i set all the specs up to the maximum for the rear diff, for the front i use 40 for initial torque and accelleration, and 5 for decelleration (making it a 1-way). You dont want the decelleration level too high in the front or it will understeer really bad. For downforce...screw downforce, i have it set at the minimum hehe. of course all traction controls are turned off, and set the VCD controller to 50/50 torque split, it seems to handle best at 50/50 for me. Since it is an AWD car, it will have very different handling characteristics from a RWD when drifting especially. you will have to tap the ebrake at turn-in more often to get it started sideways, and throughout the turn, if you feel it begin to understeer, correct by lifting off the throttle and tapping the ebrake again. Sometimes, the car can be going sideways without even countersteering if the front tires are spinning as well. The tricky thing is, that if you start sliding toward the outside, its alot harder to correct, and different than a normal RWD car since the front tires are not gonna have as much grip available to keep the car in line. You have to play with the throttle and ebrake alot more to keep it in line. When the car starts sliding toward the outside too much, sometimes you just have to let go of the steering, or steer in the direction of the turn instead of countering. If the car is about to spin, countersteer as much as possible and drop to the next lowest gear (without mashing on the brakes) and feather the throttle, it should straighten itself out.

well, the R34 is not really my ideal drift car, hehe. My favorites are the C-West/RAZO Silvia GT car, the RX-7 LM car, and the "240SX" K's Aero, hehehe. The TOM's Chaser is good too. :coolugh:

Crab Walker
11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Dont buy VCD controller or LSD. Put on T0 sprots tires. That will definetly get rid of your understeering problem. Just tried it now and it drifts like a dream. :boink:

Flybert
11-09-2003, 01:12 AM
0 camber in the back and your car will be really tail happy. Along with sim tires and traction control customized to what you like, you'll be a pro in no time.

coolblue
11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Do what Crab Walker suggested. Don't buy LSD or put in the VCD (the thing that lets you adjust the power bias). Put either of those on and the GTR does exactly what you describe, understeer.

I find the R34 GTR is the easiest to drift actually with 1000+ hp, supersoft tires, and stock suspension.

As for your suspension setup GotDriftS14, that is really weird. To me, most cars are easiest to drift with stock suspension or maybe putting in Full customize but leaving the settings alone. Getting to weird with the stuff only makes the car harder to handle.
Another thing you might try is to reduce your bump setting, 10 is the max I believe, and IMO, way to hard. Try setting it to 4/7 front and rear, give it a few laps, and see how you like it. Also, with your rear diff set to max accell and decel, your car probably turns in like crap. Try lowering those quite a bit, or take it off completely and you'll notice a huge difference, again, this is all my experience. I will though try setting a gtr up like yours, and see how I do. Maybe its a magical setup and I'm completely wrong. :)

And, I guess if anyone cares, here's what i set mine up like:
If I setup my car with Full Customize, Ill generally do the following.
Springs, something like 10/8
Ride Height: on the ground
Shocks: depends, sometimes i like 4/7 front and rear, othertimes 7/7
Toe: don't mess with it
Camber: 2.5fr 2.0 rear
Sway Bars: 3/3

Diff: don't normally mess with. Only a few cars, such as the AE86, have a problem with 1 tire fires. :)

The only reason I find to deaviate from this is if its like an Evo, WRX, or some other car that inheriently likes to understeer. The Skylines are not those cars.