PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about ac.

murderrsirenss
07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Its hot as hell, and im tired of being sweaty as fuck everytime I go somewhere during the day. Ive looked and seems to be the only thing im missing is the a/c belt. Would simply adding a belt and charging the system be enough to have a/c working if everything else is in working condition?

PureTorque
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
are all the other components there?

murderrsirenss
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
As far as I can tell.

PureTorque
07-12-2011, 12:54 PM
i mean if everything is there hooked up properly, and not leaking i dont see why not. does the ac compressor turn on when you turn on the ac from inside?

bartdog
07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
First thing to do is evacuate and VACUUM your system. Don't just start adding freon. If you're having to ask.... then you won't be able to do this properly. No offense.... just that a/c is something that req's some knowledge AND equipment.
So evacuate the system to get rid of anything that's in there. (Either with a recycling machine or vent to atmosphere if you must) Then using a vacuum pump (also part of most recycling machines) you need to vacuum the system for at least 15-20 minutes. The system will need to pull down to at least 13-15 hg(inches of vacuum) and HOLD that reading(you are using guages,right?) ...... Watch it for at least 15 minutes but it should hold indefinitely. If it won't reach and hold vacuum then you have a big leak (lines,. seals, components, etc.).
So if you can hold a vacuum then you can add the correct amount of freon plus maybe a LITTLE bit of oil. Is your system R12 or R134? If you are originally R12 then definitely use R12 if you can find/afford it. Otherwise research and decide what you want to use.
Good luck.... the world is getting hotter!!

PureTorque
07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I would say have a shop do that, should have the machine to recycle freon and add new. Also, I thought its possible to convert to R134a