PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to like Marilyn Manson?

Chernobyl
11-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Wow, I dug up my old MM cd's today. Haven't listened to this stuff since early early high school. I guess I was just in that kind of mood... now I can't stop listening to "Lunchbox".

I quit listening to this stuff because I just felt that I grew out of it. I don't like bands using gimicks and shit to appeal to a certain audience (loser high school kids in this case). I listen to all sorts of different stuff now, and can appreciate good music, no matter what style or who performs it.

So, the question... is it wrong to enjoy a little bit of MM once in a while? :bash:

sykikchimp
11-06-2003, 03:12 PM
It's not wrong to listen to ANY kind of music. Music is about expressing something, and people relating to it.

IMO, Manson puts on one of the best shows in the industry. F*in insane!

Heartwork
11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
if you like it cool...

imo, i hate it, mostly for his music over his image appeal/gimmick...
his image is on the verge of annoying to where it associates with high school kids that are non educated in music and what not....not saying MM is unintelligent, he is rather a smart man, but his music relies on his image/gimmick...

i could care less if a band has a gimmick/image appeal, i'm more interested in the music, cause well, thats what a band should be about...

i.e. Buckethead, has a crazy gimmick and funny/memorable appeal, but he is so damn diverse, with literally hundreds upon hundreds of recordings, super skilled at playing guitar, and puts on quite an experience of a live show....

Matt_240
11-06-2003, 03:45 PM
definitely ok to listen to MM. its ok to listen to any kind of music.

I have a couple of his cds. smells like children is the best. dont like the more recent ones. Went to his concert in japan and was crazy. listen to whatever you want to listen if you think its good music.

Nissan240SX
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
There is nothing wrong with it at all. Music is about feeling. Notice that when your moods change so does your music. Music is a way of life for the Artist and the listener. What that means is you as the listener listen to the music cause it makes you feel a certain way. The artists mae that song cause they are feeling the mood at that time for that song. Music is feeling and it has been linked to helping people in a time of need. That is why for a while people and still some are were blaming music on Columbine etc.... Music is freedom. Listen to what ever makes you happy.

bobmeindertsma
11-06-2003, 03:55 PM
IMHO any type of music isn't wrong to listen to!!
Ex. Metal music (MM) might have very explicit and controversial lyrics but for myself i like to listen to the music not the lryics.
Sometimes it can just be about the guitar and double kick of the drums to get ya goin. thats where strapping young lad comes in.
:D

brianglawson
11-06-2003, 04:10 PM
i do have to say im not impressed with manson, i think he is a modern day alice cooper...

BUT HIS MUSIC IS GREAT, IT IS AWESOMELY ARRANGED, AND HAS SOME OF THE MOST AWESOME RIFFS, LYRICS, AND JUST HIS OWN INDUSTRIAL, GOTH STYLE

Manson rocks.....

Chernobyl
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Cool guys. Thanks for the comments!

s15dude
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Nissan240SX
There is nothing wrong with it at all. Music is about feeling. Notice that when your moods change so does your music. Music is a way of life for the Artist and the listener. What that means is you as the listener listen to the music cause it makes you feel a certain way. The artists mae that song cause they are feeling the mood at that time for that song. Music is feeling and it has been linked to helping people in a time of need. That is why for a while people and still some are were blaming music on Columbine etc.... Music is freedom. Listen to what ever makes you happy.

If you watch the movie bowling for columbine, marilyn manson is interviewed. He is a very intelligent person, ad it really shows in his music compared to alot of the one hit wonders out there...

Chernobyl
11-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by s15dude
If you watch the movie bowling for columbine, marilyn manson is interviewed. He is a very intelligent person, ad it really shows in his music compared to alot of the one hit wonders out there...

Yes, I was very surprised when I saw this. He seems like a normal enough guy in real life... I just like the music anyway, who cares if he slaughters pigs on stage or whatever. :coolugh:

Heartwork
11-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by brianglawson

BUT HIS MUSIC IS GREAT, IT IS AWESOMELY ARRANGED, AND HAS SOME OF THE MOST AWESOME RIFFS, LYRICS, AND JUST HIS OWN INDUSTRIAL, GOTH STYLE

Manson rocks.....

personally, i think its one of the most simplistic bands to ever come out...arrangement is nothing other than your normal chorus verse chorus arrangement, riffs are way simple and unimaginative....even compared to most popular bands of today/yesterday to even the stuff i listen to....

elevator
11-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Beats the hell out of rap!

Nissan240SX
11-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Yes you are right MM is a very intelligent man. I give the man created for standing up for his music when they were hitting on him are during that time. But you can not disagree with the idea that they tried to fry him for something that he can not control.

As far as rap goes. That is another form of expression. Just once time grab a tupac album turn off the base and just listen to the words. There is a lot of meaning and feeling behind it. I may stand alone in this thought but I just had to say that since someone put up the Rap its the end of the world.

s14falcon
11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Beats the hell out of rap!

OOH, low blow. Although I'll agree that 50 cent has contributed to the downfall of the world, there is plenty of good rap out there. It just takes some searching to find.(hint hint, you won't hear it on the radio or mtv)

No, Nissan240SX, you do not stand alone here.

Edit: sorry to jack the thread for a second, but since i'm on the topic of rap, does anybody know where I can find the Pitch Black album? I can't seem to get that song its all real out of my head, and I cant find the album.

whateverjames
11-06-2003, 09:22 PM
I like a few MM songs. I saw 'em live at Ozzfest. His new(er?) song is good, up until the girls start singing. WTF's that all about?

s13silady
11-07-2003, 04:05 AM
MM is bad*ss!!! i dont think its wrong to listen to him... everyone has theyre own taste in music, and if hes that bad to listen to they wouldnt air him...
have you ever heard him in an interview... very mellow kick back guy....

RoNiN240sx
11-07-2003, 02:57 PM
"let's go trick or treating dressed up like marilyn manson"

self-KIDdies

hehe just heard that song on the radio the other day, cool stuff.

WilloW
11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Nothing's wrong with listening to MM, I do.